Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Old 12-04-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Originally Posted by bootsy
The first movie was pretty good, fun and entertaining. The 2nd and 3rd I agree with you on.

Side note: I just watched "The Mummy" (1932) and it was very different from what I expected.
Old 12-04-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand people not liking Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (even though I thought it was much better than The Mummy Returns), but I always thought the hurricane-force negative response to it was kind of hilarious. People treated that movie like it slapped their grandmother or something, like it was on the same level as Batman & Robin or Exorcist II. I recommend giving it another try sometime.
Old 12-04-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I can understand people not liking Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (even though I thought it was much better than The Mummy Returns), but I always thought the hurricane-force negative response to it was kind of hilarious. People treated that movie like it slapped their grandmother or something, like it was on the same level as Batman & Robin or Exorcist II. I recommend giving it another try sometime.
Nope. I was done right after the scene of the Sasquatches doing a "It's good" field goal gesture in the beginning. Fuck all that.
Old 12-04-13, 02:23 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

No Paul W.S. Anderson, no sale.
Old 12-04-13, 04:35 PM
Banned

A good movie, but not very threatening.

Also arguably not even really a mummy movie.
The close-up of the mummy's eyes!
Old 12-05-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nope. I was done right after the scene of the Sasquatches doing a "It's good" field goal gesture in the beginning. Fuck all that.

I think that is also when I turned off the BD player.
Old 12-05-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know they were box office faves, but the Summers movies never really lit me up, I thought they were just substandard and frenetic Indiana Jones knockoffs. I think the Fisher version is actually one of the better Hammer horror flicks.

The Karloff film actually has very little in common with the bandaged mummy tropes we'd all come to know later on, but if you're willing to try something a little different, it's a nicely atmospheric little flick.
Old 12-05-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I know they were box office faves, but the Summers movies never really lit me up, I thought they were just substandard and frenetic Indiana Jones knockoffs.
I'll take The Mummy 1 and 3 over Indy 4 any day.

I think the Fisher version is actually one of the better Hammer horror flicks.
I think it's the best I've seen. Best mummy movie and best Hammer horror movie. It's a crime that movies like Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein get all the attention while The Mummy hardly ever gets any at all. The only Hammer horror movie I've seen that threatens its status as my favorite is Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

The Karloff film actually has very little in common with the bandaged mummy tropes we'd all come to know later on, but if you're willing to try something a little different, it's a nicely atmospheric little flick.
I hated it when I first saw it simply because I was so thrown by the fact that it isn't really a mummy movie at all. I wasn't surprised a bit when I found out that it was written as Cagliostro and the script was only given minor rewrites before shooting. But watching it again and accepting it for what it is rather than judging it for what it isn't, I came to like it more than Lugosi's Dracula and Karloff's Frankenstein. If it weren't for Son of Frankenstein, it may have been my favorite of the Universal monster flicks.
Old 12-07-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll take The Mummy 1 and 3 over Indy 4 any day.
Yeah, well, maybe, but that sets a very low bar. I actually like Sommers' second movie the best of the three, to be honest.

I think it's the best I've seen. Best mummy movie and best Hammer horror movie. It's a crime that movies like Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein get all the attention while The Mummy hardly ever gets any at all. The only Hammer horror movie I've seen that threatens its status as my favorite is Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.
It's definitely one of the better ones, it certainly has a relatively coherent narrative as far as Hammer movies go. It's a wonder most got into production with the incomprehensible scripts they have. Lee is a great villain.

I hated it when I first saw it simply because I was so thrown by the fact that it isn't really a mummy movie at all. I wasn't surprised a bit when I found out that it was written as Cagliostro and the script was only given minor rewrites before shooting. But watching it again and accepting it for what it is rather than judging it for what it isn't, I came to like it more than Lugosi's Dracula and Karloff's Frankenstein. If it weren't for Son of Frankenstein, it may have been my favorite of the Universal monster flicks.
Director Karl Freud worked as a DP for Fritz Lang. If you watch it expecting a traditional horror movie, even by the standards of the era, you'll be disappointed, but as a mood piece, I like the film.
Old 05-07-14, 05:47 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

“Mama” director Andy Muschetti has exited Universal's reboot of “The Mummy” due to creative differences, TheWrap has learned.

Jon Spaihts wrote the current draft of the script, which reimagined “The Mummy” franchise in modern day with new characters not seen in previous iterations and a protagonist imbued with a human personality.

Sean Daniel is producing the planned tentpole with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who recently parted ways regarding feature projects, though their split is unrelated to Muschetti's amicable exit from “The Mummy.”

When Len Wiseman was previously attached to direct “The Mummy,” he indicated that Kurtzman and Orci were envisioning a darker, scarier take on the “Mummy” mythology that would still appeal to all audiences. Apparently, the project has changed direction, as Muschetti wanted to deliver a darker take rather than the four-quadrant, more family-friendly action-adventure blockbuster that Universal now has in mind.

After his Jessica Chastain-led horror movie “Mama” became a surprise hit, grossing $147 million worldwide for Universal, the studio quickly attached Muschetti to direct an adaptation of Josh Malerman's novel “Bird Box,” which is being produced by Scott Stuber's Bluegrass Films. Muschetti was forced to leave “Bird Box” when the opportunity to direct “The Mummy” presented itself — a major job for an up-and-coming filmmaker.

Now that Muschetti is no longer aboard “The Mummy,” the door remains open for him to return to “Bird Box,” though Universal is also considering him for several other high-profile projects.

Universal has been mining its catalogue of classic monsters and “The Mummy” plays an important role in the studio's ambitious master plan, as the original trilogy grossed $1.25 billion worldwide. Universal released “The Wolfman” in 2010 and has “Dracula Untold” scheduled for release in October.
Old 05-07-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Saw this thread and realized that I STILL haven't seen TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR.
Old 05-07-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Saw this thread and realized that I STILL haven't seen TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR.
Keep that streak alive.
Old 05-07-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it in the Blu-Ray three pack. It was much cheaper to get all three than the buy the first two by themselves.

It's better than Indy 4 and Beverly Hills Cop 3.
Old 05-07-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Same here. I don't know why, I liked the first two but was just never motivated to go and watch the third.
Old 05-07-14, 11:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's because Maria Bello is no Rachel Weisz.
Old 05-07-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's because Maria Bello is no Rachel Weisz.
Maria Bello is great, but she ain't Evy.

Didn't help that Rob Cohen took over as director, either.
Old 05-08-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wouldn't have made much of a difference quality or story wise, but they should've just created a new character for Bello and just had Evy die in between movies.
Old 05-08-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I wonder how many pitches in Hollywood use the words "grounded" and "darker" right now.
Old 05-08-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Wouldn't have made much of a difference quality or story wise, but they should've just created a new character for Bello and just had Evy die in between movies.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.

They should've just taken her out of the picture via a fatal illness or deadly tomb raiding trap, developed a separation conflict between O'Connell and his son based on her death, and then handed him a new heroine that embodies Bello's strongest traits ... or something along those lines.
Old 05-08-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have yet to watch Tomb. I just can't go through with it. I've heard that the opening scene with the sasquatches is awful. They even parody the scoring of a touchdown when someone gets thrown or kicked like a football. No, thank you.
Old 05-08-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lack of Rachel Weisz is the least of the problems for Mummy 3.
Old 05-08-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have yet to watch Tomb. I just can't go through with it. I've heard that the opening scene with the sasquatches is awful. They even parody the scoring of a touchdown when someone gets thrown or kicked like a football. No, thank you.
I still fail to understand why that one little moment is the cause of so much venom-spewing hatred by so many people, but it's on YouTube, so you can see for yourself without having to watch the whole movie.

As for Maria Bello and Rachel Weisz, although I'm one of the apparently four people in the world who doesn't think Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is the worst thing since 9/11, I do agree that they should have either killed off the character or put her on a bus and had Bello play someone new. It's not so much that I can't accept different actors as the same character, but American actors doing British accents is never a good thing, unless your name starts with Johnny and ends with two Ps.
Old 05-08-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've seen all 3, First two in theaters, the third on Netflix, and only have the first one in my blu collection (and plan on keeping it that way).
Old 05-08-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still fail to understand why that one little moment is the cause of so much venom-spewing hatred by so many people, but it's on YouTube, so you can see for yourself without having to watch the whole movie.

As for Maria Bello and Rachel Weisz, although I'm one of the apparently four people in the world who doesn't think Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is the worst thing since 9/11, I do agree that they should have either killed off the character or put her on a bus and had Bello play someone new. It's not so much that I can't accept different actors as the same character, but American actors doing British accents is never a good thing, unless your name starts with Johnny and ends with two Ps.

Wow, worse than I thought.
Old 05-08-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, worse than I thought.
Jesus. Don't bother with the rest of the movie then, I guess.

I'll just be over here with the rest of the Mummy 3 fans...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.