Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Old 12-01-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I know they set it up, but I felt absolutely nothing for it. I think a fresh start would be more practical at this point.

Then they need to cast the biggest star in Hollywood to play Dracula.
Old 12-01-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

^Jennifer Lawrence?
Old 12-01-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^Jennifer Lawrence?

Works for me.
Old 12-01-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Money talks, though. Look at the fucking transformer movies. Horrid fucking reviews - all of them - they made shitloads of money and we're getting a new one. Same concept with Dracula Untold. It was really popular outside of the USA, as well.
Weird comparison since Transformers makes a billion dollars worldwide. $200 million worldwide isn't very impressive at all for something they want to be a big franchise.
Old 12-01-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Weird comparison since Transformers makes a billion dollars worldwide. $200 million worldwide isn't very impressive at all for something they want to be a big franchise.
It was a fast comparison. On a 70 million budget and then after they touted it as being the first of the new universe.
Old 12-01-16, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not once did I hear that was supposed to be the beginning of a new universe. $70 mil? How much of that was budget? I never looked at any of that.
Old 12-01-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Not once did I hear that was supposed to be the beginning of a new universe. $70 mil? How much of that was budget? I never looked at any of that.
What do you mean? The film cost 70 million to make and it made 217 million worldwide.
Old 12-02-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was a fast comparison. On a 70 million budget and then after they touted it as being the first of the new universe.
And now they're obviously ignoring it for a reason at the moment - like I said, doesn't matter if it made a profit when that overall number still isn't particularly big. It would be different it made considerably more, or at least had great reviews, but I imagine Universal has much, much higher goals for their monster franchise then what Dracula pulled in.
Old 12-02-16, 12:49 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Dracula Untold did okay, but it didn't do great business internationally. If it had made something close to Warcraft money overseas, I could see Universal bothering to tie it in, but it didn't.
Old 12-02-16, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I totally remember Universal touting Dracula Untold as the start of its Monster Universe.
Old 12-02-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Universal seems to be going for the big movie stars to fill out this universe. The MCU isn't based off movie stars, leaves a bunch of the top talent in hollywood off to the side wanting something. I wouldn't be surprised to see DiCaprio play Dracula now that he has his shiny statue, Brad Pitt as Van Helsing, and Angelina Jolie as Bride of Frankenstein.
Old 12-02-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Dracula Untold did okay, but it didn't do great business internationally. If it had made something close to Warcraft money overseas, I could see Universal bothering to tie it in, but it didn't.

What do you mean it didn't do great internationally? That's where it did the best. it made more than twice its budget overseas.

160,843,925 overseas.

Warcraft cost 3-4 times more than DU did, though. Unless the studios are just being greedy again and downplaying the returns.

DU was not a bomb by any means.
Old 12-02-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Annabelle Wallis is precious to me.
Old 12-02-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
Universal seems to be going for the big movie stars to fill out this universe. The MCU isn't based off movie stars, leaves a bunch of the top talent in hollywood off to the side wanting something. I wouldn't be surprised to see DiCaprio play Dracula now that he has his shiny statue, Brad Pitt as Van Helsing, and Angelina Jolie as Bride of Frankenstein.
I remember them saying that they wanted Angelina as Bride of, but then she divorced Brad and they stopped talking about it. The last thing I heard about the universe was javier Bardem as Frankenstein's monster or something.
Old 12-02-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

From the cheap seats, it seems like Universal is more concerned with luring a-list talent into their monster universe than actually developing a cohesive universe and story arc.

It also doesn't bode well in the long run if they're trying to build evetything around a bunch of movie stars.

And I'm also skeptical that these things are going to work as big dumb action movies set in the current era. The Universal Monsters are gothic horror properties, and when Hollywood tries to update them into the modern era, you get crap like Dracula 2000.
Old 12-02-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
Annabelle Wallis is precious to me.
Just Googled her - damn, she's fine as fuck.
Old 12-02-16, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still waiting for del Toro's Frankenstein. Ugh. Only he could do that book justice. So many things he wants to do and is doing too. I still want his Frankenstein and At the Mountains of Madness. And we were so close to the latter.
Old 12-02-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm still waiting for del Toro's Frankenstein. Ugh. Only he could do that book justice. So many things he wants to do and is doing too. I still want his Frankenstein and At the Mountains of Madness. And we were so close to the latter.
If Tom Cruise couldn't get Del Toro's vision for At the Mountains of Madness greenlit, I don't know who can.
Old 12-02-16, 03:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

What do you mean it didn't do great internationally? That's where it did the best. it made more than twice its budget overseas.

160,843,925 overseas.

Warcraft cost 3-4 times more than DU did, though. Unless the studios are just being greedy again and downplaying the returns.

DU was not a bomb by any means.
Almost all big budget action films make most of their money overseas, but domestic still matters. I think the first Hunger Games was the last one that didn't make most of its money overseas. $160m isn't much for an overseas take anymore, and certainly not enough to jumpstart a franchise/cinematic universe.

According to box office mojo, Warcraft had a $160m budget, so only a little over twice the budget of DU. Had Warcraft done a little better domestically, a sequel would have been greenlit months ago, but that's still up in the air because domestic still matters. If it didn't, the rest of the His Dark Materials trilogy would have been made instead of just The Golden Compass. The studios could also fear turning domestic dollars irrelevant when there's a lot of money to be made despite domestic shortcomings, or perhaps it's an ego thing going on.
Old 12-02-16, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

What do you mean? The film cost 70 million to make and it made 217 million worldwide.
Right, 70 mil to make, but how much on marketing? If it was conservative and they barely marketed it, I'd say they spent $30-40 mil, bringing the cost up to over $100 mil just to get it out there. And that's probably why the regular moviegoer didn't know this was supposed to be a first in a franchise. Like I said, I had no idea they were trying to position it as such.

Almost all big budget action films make most of their money overseas, but domestic still matters. I think the first Hunger Games was the last one that didn't make most of its money overseas. $160m isn't much for an overseas take anymore, and certainly not enough to jumpstart a franchise/cinematic universe.
This is what I was getting at.
Old 12-02-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to box office mojo, Warcraft had a $160m budget, so only a little over twice the budget of DU. Had Warcraft done a little better domestically, a sequel would have been greenlit months ago, but that's still up in the air because domestic still matters. If it didn't, the rest of the His Dark Materials trilogy would have been made instead of just The Golden Compass. The studios could also fear turning domestic dollars irrelevant when there's a lot of money to be made despite domestic shortcomings, or perhaps it's an ego thing going on.
Old 12-02-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, 70 mil to make, but how much on marketing? If it was conservative and they barely marketed it, I'd say they spent $30-40 mil, bringing the cost up to over $100 mil just to get it out there. And that's probably why the regular moviegoer didn't know this was supposed to be a first in a franchise. Like I said, I had no idea they were trying to position it as such.

$30-$40 million in marketing? Nope. Not even close. Overinflated marketing costs are just a smokescreen.
Old 12-02-16, 06:21 PM
Banned by request

Oh....right.
Old 12-02-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the truth - but I understand what you're saying. Someone said it could be ego and someone mentioned that maybe the studios are trying to do Monsters and high profile star cinematic universes, and such. I don't know - but I personally think that Dracula Untold should be the first, because if you make yet another Dracula movie - folks will reject it, because they're burnt out. Hell, I love Dracula, but I'm also burnt out.
Old 12-02-16, 06:45 PM
Banned by request

I was burnt out in 1992 with Coppola's. But this universe is now in the hands of Kurtzman, at least for now. I'm fairly certain they have a plan for the universe already setup, which will include the umpteenth version of Dracula.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.