Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pain and Gain (2013) (D: Michael Bay C: Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Ed Harris)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pain and Gain (2013) (D: Michael Bay C: Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Ed Harris)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Pain and Gain (2013) (D: Michael Bay C: Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Ed Harris)

Originally Posted by GCS
Could be funny, could be stupid. Probably wait for Netflix on this one.

And how many movies is that going to be for The Rock this year, good grief. I know GI Joe was a hold over from 2012 but this will be 4 movies out from him in a short amount of time this year (Snitch, GI Joe, Fast and Furious 6, Pain & Gain) and supposedly a 5th (Empire State) this year as well.

Rockus Overloadus!
He's the new Channing Tatum.
Old 03-29-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Pain and Gain (2013) (D: Michael Bay C: Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Ed Harris)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He's the new Channing Tatum.
Don't you mean the new Sam Worthington? People were bitching when every tent pole release seemed to star him in some capacity.
Old 03-29-13, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least the Rock is likeable, unlike those other two.
Old 03-29-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banthafett
At least the Rock and Channing Tatum are likable, unlike Sam Worthington.
Fixed.
Old 03-29-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
At least the Rock is likeable, unlike those other two.
Old 03-31-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hate Bad Boys II. It was so excessive that the whole thing just became numbing. It needed at least 30 minutes (if not more) chopped right out of the finished cut.
I agree! I was so disappointed by that film. It literally was bloated in the worst way by letting scenes drag on forever with unfunny prolonged attempts at humor. I liked the characters in the first film, but the editing and pacing was much better in that film and knew how to keep things on track without overdoing it. There are some cool scenes in BB2, but way to much pointless filler to make it 'fun' to sit through.

So far, Bad Boys and The Rock are my favorite Bay films. I'm not so sure about this new film just yet. But I'm willing to give it a fair chance. And I must admit, that was a well done red band trailer since I haven't been a fan of the majority I've seen lately. The bit with the
Spoiler:
severed toe was hilarious in my opinion and shows some dark comedy the film is said to have.
I hope the film keeps things lean and mean instead of bloated to the extremes like Bad Boys II.
Old 04-23-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I just got back from an early screening, and it was definately fun, had the look of every Michael Bay film. I was wondeing if anyone knew the real story of the Sun Gym gang, and if its accurate to the movie. I heard it was pretty gruesome, the movie played as a comedy, then got pretty dark in the second half. One minor continuity error, they should have used the early 90s cell phones, in the few scenes I saw cell phones. Also it was cool to see Kurt Angle in a brief cameo. I see this doing well this coming weekend, and then it wont matter after that when Iron Man 3 opens.
Old 04-23-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s....1.HqmOJMAwfiw
Old 04-23-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also I hope Michael Bay only does one more Transformers movie, he needs to get back to doing more R rated movies.
Old 04-23-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the biggest difference was
Spoiler:
The Rock's character was made up, and fashioned around Jorge Delgado, the snitch who only got 15 years, while the other two are on death row.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-24-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

You may want to spoiler that, even though it's a widely known true story, not everybody knows the details and may want to go in fresh.
Old 04-24-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I've only liked 2 films from Michael Bay. Both times he was directing The Rock.
Old 04-24-13, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet Jesus, every Michael Bay film only elevates the quality of the previous in comparison. I used to be a Bay apologist (even liked Armageddon and Pearl Harbor, though The Rock is a milestone of my teenage years), but like a battered wife, I've finally had enough.

Only notes on the film- Bay has really gotten his mileage out of GoPros here. I can generally at least appreciate the beauty of many of his shots, but this one had so many that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, a store Ed Harris walks into has a sign touting FREE WI-FI ...in 1994.
Old 04-24-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
You may want to spoiler that, even though it's a widely known true story, not everybody knows the details and may want to go in fresh.
Too late for me unfortunately, but please do. So infuriating when people do shit like that.
Old 04-24-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw this last night. Not very good. The beginning half, when it's more comedic in tone is pretty awful, and The Rock is absolutely terrible in those segments. In the later part of the film, it picks up more of a action/dark comedy feel that occasionally works, but isn't all that entertaining.

I realize the main characters are supposed to be viewed as some sort of antihero, but they're just so annoying and unlikeable that I kind of wonder why the movie was made about them
Old 04-24-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

So does Bay indulge in at least one foot-chase or action sequence?
Old 04-24-13, 05:06 PM

i watched this twice. it was good! i met marky mark on the way out.
Old 04-24-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the movie apparently only had a 25 mil budget (Bay, the Rock and Marky Mark took no sallery) does shit blow up in this movie? wouldn't be a michael bay movie w out em
Old 04-24-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That's what I'm dying to know! The foot chase is Bad Boys is still one of Michael Bay's best shining moments. It had some flaws (chasing through the photo studio, running into the wheelchair guys, etc). But the music and the feel of everything. American exceptionalism. Damn, I love it still.

He did some great stuff in The Rock. A little after that. A few good parts in The Island. Select parts in Transformers 1 and 3. But he has too much going on in each frame anymore. I was hoping that the lower budget stripped down what he was willing to shoot.

Saying "no salary" is kind of fudging it a little. No upfront money. If they got a deal like that, I bet their backend points are very high. Bay has been known for doing that in the past.
Old 04-24-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm sure it'll drop and settle in the 30%s, but right now this is at 59% on rottentomatoes, making it Bay's second highest rated movie behind The Rock.

I still want to see the Michael Bay that directed the first half of The Island do a movie.
Old 04-25-13, 01:47 AM
Cool New Member

Saw an advance screening of this tonight - I wanted to really like it, but ultimately it falls short. I can't help but feel that if Bay left out his awful 'trademark' humor this would have been a solid film. It really has a lot going for it.

The highlight for me (without spoiling anything) - there's a scene towards the end where he re-uses the camera trick from Bad Boys 2 where the camera 'spins' from room to room (if you know what I mean)...extremely effective at keeping the tension high.

A good matinee or rental.

Do read the 3 part article it's based on; its a fantastic read...but be warned, it will spoil the plot (obviously)

P.S. No explosions.
Old 04-25-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdcooler
P.S. No explosions.
The three leads do the "don't look at the explosion" walk in the trailer. Of course, this demonstrates how memorable it was.
Old 04-25-13, 09:14 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by filmerp
The three leads do the "don't look at the explosion" walk in the trailer. Of course, this demonstrates how memorable it was.
Ah, you know what... There was one very minor one.
Old 04-25-13, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by dvdcooler
Saw an advance screening of this tonight - I wanted to really like it, but ultimately it falls short. I can't help but feel that if Bay left out his awful 'trademark' humor this would have been a solid film. It really has a lot going for it.

The highlight for me (without spoiling anything) - there's a scene towards the end where he re-uses the camera trick from Bad Boys 2 where the camera 'spins' from room to room (if you know what I mean)...extremely effective at keeping the tension high.

A good matinee or rental.

Do read the 3 part article it's based on; its a fantastic read...but be warned, it will spoil the plot (obviously)

P.S. No explosions.
Definitely agree with this assessment. The swooping camera was fun and the plot actually got interesting at that point. And then it got lame afterwards

Whoever said it was like a Coen Brothers movie directed by Michael Bay was dead on. The Coens can make stupid characters work in such a great fashion, whereas these guys were just annoying.
Old 04-25-13, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Definitely agree with this assessment. The swooping camera was fun and the plot actually got interesting at that point. And then it got lame afterwards

Whoever said it was like a Coen Brothers movie directed by Michael Bay was dead on. The Coens can make stupid characters work in such a great fashion, whereas these guys were just annoying.
Exactly - this is almost like Fargo with bodybuilders...but throw in the cringe inducing humor from Transformers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.