Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Clock (Marclay, 2010) — A 24-hour movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-01-12, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Christian Marclay, a Swiss artist, stitched together a 24-hr film that also works as a clock in real time. This means if you see the movie at noon, the film will have scenes taking place at noon. Come back three hours later, and the scenes take place at 3pm, and so on for an entire day. Each scene or clip has either a clock or watch face, or a character referencing the time (e.g. "I have to get to the doctor by 2, and it's already 1:30!").

It sounds odd on paper, but is completely mesmerizing. I saw about half an hour of it and was taken in.

Here's a video about the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clock_(2010)

I want to go back at noon, and see if there'a a clip from High Noon. I hope to make it to one of the late night installations because I think the 3am-onwards scenes would be fascinating.
Old 04-01-12, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Clock (Marclay, 2010) — A 24-hour movie

I watched about 30 minutes of this at LACMA. Very interesting.
Old 04-01-12, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I hope to make it to one of the late night installations because I think the 3am-onwards scenes would be fascinating.
I've seen around 5 hours of The Clock over several visits, including approximately 3:30AM-5:30AM. I don't want to spoil anything, but I think the editing during this period is particularly creative due to the dearth of film clips set during this time.

And I agree: mesmerizing is probably the most apt word to describe this piece of video art.
Old 04-01-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

There was a really interesting profile about this in the New Yorker recently that piqued my interest. I don't think I could ever watch it in a go but I'd love to see some digestible chunks of it. The article was fascinating in how it talked about the process of creating it all. Incredible amount of work.