Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best "found footage" movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best "found footage" movies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Best "found footage" movies

oh Project X. Fuck. My hatred of it fucked up my typing.
Old 03-30-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Don't really care. I enjoyed Quarantine very much regardless of where the idea came from.
There's no accounting for taste.
Old 03-30-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cloverfield and Blair Witch were pretty good. Last Exorcism was okay.
Old 03-30-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There's no accounting for taste.

REC is such a superior film.

I still need to see REC 2 though.
Old 03-30-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
"The Blair Witch Project" got under my skin in a way no other movie has since.
Yeah, that movie got under my skin too - it really irritated me with its annoying and stupid characters! The best part of the movie was when those Darwin Award candidates died!
Old 03-31-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz

REC is such a superior film.

I still need to see REC 2 though.

REC 2 is one of the best horror sequels of all time, IMO.

Can't wait for REC 3 and 4!
Old 03-31-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Cloverfield
Blair Witch Project
Quarantine (and REC, for that matter)
Old 03-31-12, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the sub-genre. The only ones I've seen that I truly disliked were The St. Francisville Experiment and Paranormal Activity 2. Anyway, my favorites...

The Blair Witch Project is undoubtedly the best in my book and one of my top five personal favorite horror films. It still gets to me almost as much as it did when I first saw it.

Noroi, the Curse and Lake Mungo are two others that are very unnerving at times (the latter having one image seen late in the film that really creeped me out). [Rec] is too, especially the ending. I love how [Rec]2 takes the ending of the first and runs with it, as it's far more effective than just another zombie/rabies type thing.

I loved The Last Exorcism, ending and all, and Cannibal Holocaust is a disturbing gem with a beautiful score.
Old 03-31-12, 08:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Love the two [REC] films, and quite enjoyed Troll Hunter.

But I'm a sucker for this whole style of film, have pretty much enjoyed all the ones I've seen, and am putting the unseen ones you all have mentioned on my to-see/buy list.
Old 03-31-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

All of these are currently available for streaming on Netflix:

Trollhunter
Paranormal Activity 1 & 2
Grave Encounters
The Last Exorcism
Atrocius

...and Paranormal Entity (but you want to avoid that one).
Old 03-31-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Man Bites Dog by far. I'm not too keen on Blair Witch, but I did love that last scene/shot.
Old 03-31-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Ahh, 'tis a good thread. Will have to seek out Lake Mungo. Also, nice to remember that I have a copy of Noroi that I've yet to watch.
Old 03-31-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Ahh, 'tis a good thread. Will have to seek out Lake Mungo. Also, nice to remember that I have a copy of Noroi that I've yet to watch.
Def a big reason why I love threads like this - good recommendations (or if not good, at least you may find a title you haven't heard of before) come out of them - I rented..well, had to buy Lake Mungo through vudu - gonna try and watch it tonight...not sure how but vudu gave me a 4 dollar credit so screw it...I'll pay 5 bucks to own it.

My sis stopped by earlier today and saw I had paranormal activity 3 on blu - she demanded we watch it right then and there....just found it funny that shortly after finding lake mungo on vudu to add to the list to watch later...she stops by and that happened.
Old 03-31-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Totally forgot about Atrocious. It's awesome!
Old 04-01-12, 08:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I hated Blair Witch Project, thought it was one of the dumbest damned movies I'd ever seen, took *GASP! OMG!* to a whole new level, I never cared what happened to anybody in that movie (if that's what you could call it). I wanted my 87 minutes back.

Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity surprised me, I wasn't expecting to like them as much as I did. -kd5-
Old 04-01-12, 11:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why do people think that Quarantine ripped off Rec? The producers purchased the rights to make an English version of a great movie since most people aren't willing to read subtitles. It is like saying the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is ripping off the Swedish version.
Old 04-01-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RonG617
Why do people think that Quarantine ripped off Rec? The producers purchased the rights to make an English version of a great movie since most people aren't willing to read subtitles. It is like saying the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is ripping off the Swedish version.

Uh, because they did. It's a freakin' remake that was kept on the down low. They didn't even acknowledge (until later) that it was a remake and barely (if any) credit the og filmmakers of REC. REC wasn't even a year old before "Suckantine" came out. Good thing Quarantine 2 was DTV - looks like the studio gave up on the remake series.
Old 04-01-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I Still think Quaratine is better than REC but REC 2 is hands down better than both.
Old 04-01-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, If you haven't yet....check out "Tunnel" - I really dug that one to.

Watched Lake Mungo - pretty good...I thought the documentary approach was a bit of a cop-out but once you get into the meat of the film there is actually a bit of originality thrown in there.
Old 04-01-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched Man Bites Dog today and thought it was a very strange film. At times, like the rape scene, it seemed really poorly staged. Also the lead got really over the top when he
Spoiler:
kills has own friend
. It just had no impact any more in terms of horror at his actions. I did think the end was pretty good.

As for these types of films, I liked Trollhunter, Cloverfield and thought Blair Witch was effective. Paranormal Activity 1 was boring and Cannibal Holocaust did not live up to the hype.

Last edited by arminius; 04-01-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wanted to give this thread a bump....first to advise to stay far away from the "Critically acclaimed" Mr. Jones film that recently came out - it was pretty bad.

Second reason for the bump........anyone have any more recommendations on new found footage films or maybe some news on upcoming releases?
Old 05-12-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Doesn't count as a 'found footage' movie, but the home invasion scene in Henry Portrait of A Serial Killer, plays out as the VHS recording the characters filmed and it looks very realistic and authentic. A really frightening scene.
Old 05-12-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't stress how much I love Europa Report.
Old 05-12-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to hate The Blair Witch Project, until someone pointed something out to me.

"Do you have the DVD?" he said. I did, not because I liked the movie, but because it was $5 on Amazon and I used it to get free shipping on an order. "Watch the fake documentary on the DVD, then watch the movie."

He was right. All of a sudden, The Blair Witch Project became a good movie. All of the necessary exposition is in the documentary.

Some examples of how this helps:

* When the kids find piles of rocks outside their tents in the morning, we have no idea what this means. The documentary explains that the Blair Witch would leave piles of rocks on the doorsteps of her intended victims.

* When the two other kids hear Josh yelling for help in the distance at night, it's somewhat creepy, I guess. But it becomes downright terrifying when you watch the documentary and learn that the Blair Witch would kill people and then steal their voices to lure others to her.

* At the end when (fuck spoiler tags, because come on already) What's Her Face finds What's His Face standing in the corner before being hit by someone or something... again, something mildly creepy becomes terrifying after watching the documentary. The backwoods serial killer from the 1940s would lure kids down to his basement two at a time and make one stand in the corner while he tortured and killed the other.

Why the filmmakers thought it was a good idea to excise all the exposition that was absolutely necessary to the story is beyond me, but I'm glad that the fake documentary was put on the DVD so that I was finally able to enjoy the movie.
Old 05-12-14, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd highly recommend The Conspiracy (2012). It's quite effective and the best found footage film I've seen in a long time. The subject matter is right up my alley, but I think it's quality even if you don't find conspiracy theories fascinating.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.