Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hunger Games (Ross, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hunger Games (Ross, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
5.56%
17.78%
26.67%
17.78%
12.22%
6.67%
6.67%
0%
1.11%
1.11%
1.11%
I will not be privy to the annilhation of kiddies for entertainment in this new fangled republic!
3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

The Hunger Games (Ross, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Hunger Games (Ross, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
One more good/bad point ...

Spoiler:
In fact, I really thought they were going that route as the first dog was reminiscent of the male tribute from District 11 (in its look and behavior).
But wasn't that character killed by the dogs? At least in the film I believe he was, and that would take that out of the equation. I haven't read the books and from that standpoint I wasn't able to deduce the genetic melding plot point from them at all (other than they looked slightly odd). Was anything shown on screen when they were calling them up that I may have missed?
Old 04-14-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a middling affair. The direction was unimpressive. Entertaining enough, but entirely forgettable.

2.5/5
Old 04-14-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
But wasn't that character killed by the dogs? At least in the film I believe he was, and that would take that out of the equation. I haven't read the books and from that standpoint I wasn't able to deduce the genetic melding plot point from them at all (other than they looked slightly odd). Was anything shown on screen when they were calling them up that I may have missed?
His death was offscreen and I don't think the cause was revealed ... right afterwards they run into both the dogs and Cato ... could go either way.

Even if you read the books it was very poorly presented ...

As for the creation, yes it was shown ... one of the "studio techs" created one and they showed the 3-D rendering of it on her console; the Head Gamemaker complimented her on it before she put it in. While the first one was chasing Katniss and Peeta, two more simply popped up from the ground when the studio tech pushed a button (or something similar).
Old 04-15-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iirc, it was down to him, the main bad guy and Katriss and Peeta, with him dying right after they implement and release the dogs. I took that as the film's way of showing the dogs were worthy adversaries, as well as giving him an offscreen death since he had been 'nice' to Katriss (which was ridiculous as he would never have known Katriss had even encountered Rue at all). I saw that they were computer generated, what I meant was did the film highlight anything that would show the audience that they had been genetically altered? If so, I missed it completely.
Old 04-15-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

(which was ridiculous as he would never have known Katriss had even encountered Rue at all).
Parachute drop with a note isn't out of the question.
Old 04-15-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It is in the sense that the game is every contestant for themselves. Dropping that note only puts the recipient at risk (they hesitate/second guess when an opportunity arises). ...Though, to that end, the film was full of examples where that rule was broken, so what's one more .

You've read the books, right? Was that explained there, or was that a movie only thing (his saving Katniss)? I also thought I'd read, maybe in this thread, that the notes were a 'snuck in by Haymitch only' type of thing, though not having read the books myself that could be wrong. To me the movie made it appear common knowledge, as if in that instance the screenplay had been written as if it had forgotten that the contestants were not watching it onscreen as everyone else on the planet was.
Old 04-15-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In the book,
Spoiler:
pretty much the same thing happens. However, there is more verbiage between the three players so Thresh learns exactly what Katniss did.

I do think that he could've figured out the two were at least allies by overhearing the fight between Katniss and Clove in the movie though.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-15-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-15-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

EDIT: I think Jennifer Lawrence is due to start X-Men as well. Don't see how she will have the time, unless her part is cut back to being more or less a cameo, which is very doable given her character.
Hunger games film in fall, x-men filming in winter
Old 04-15-12, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the movie yesterday, and OMG what utter rubbish almost fell asleep for the first time ever in a theater. The story line has been done a million times.."put a bunch of people in an arena, kids in this case, and last one standing is the winner"...can it get more pathetic. Its a cross between "Lord of the Flies" and "Running Man". How are people so gulliable.
Old 04-15-12, 01:52 PM

Photography, camerawork and editing give this one an automatic F. Nothing else matters when the basics of filmmaking competence are so thoroughly trashed. This is not cinema....the quality on display here isn't even good enough for a syndicated TV series. I can't believe so many people accept crap like this as sufficient for a theatrical movie ticket.
Old 04-15-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Iirc, it was down to him, the main bad guy and Katriss and Peeta, with him dying right after they implement and release the dogs. I took that as the film's way of showing the dogs were worthy adversaries, as well as giving him an offscreen death since he had been 'nice' to Katriss (which was ridiculous as he would never have known Katriss had even encountered Rue at all). I saw that they were computer generated, what I meant was did the film highlight anything that would show the audience that they had been genetically altered? If so, I missed it completely.
Nothing in the film suggested the genetic angle ... they could have worked it in even though the dogs were "digitally created from scratch." When the Head Gamemaker was so delighted with the tech's creation, I expected him to say "But there is one little change ..." and then show the dead Tribute's pictures being overlayed onto the wireframe dog and melding into the hybrid. It serves no real purpose, but it actually would have made more sense than the book.

I thought he overheard the conversation when he saved Katniss ...
Old 04-15-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another small but significant element that was botched in the movie ... the movie made it seem like Katniss received the gifts when they were needed.

The book played more on Katniss's severe distrust of Haymitch ... there were many times when she needed something (and even asked for it) but did not receive it. Initially she thought it was Haymitch working against her; eventually she figured out that he was withholding favors to manipulate her (either to do certain things or because the need was not as bad as she believed).
Old 04-16-12, 02:35 PM

I thought that was odd. Same goes for the fact that the only two black tributes came from the same district.

Also, I forgot about Rue resembling Prim in the book. They totally missed the point there.
The book never says that Rue resembled Prim just that she reminded Katniss of Prim because they were the same size and had similar demeanor.

Here is the quote from the book, the first time Katniss sees Rue: "She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor."

That's why I was confused when I read all those tweets about how surprising it was that Rue was black. I had always pictured her (and Thresh) as being black when I was reading the book.
Old 04-17-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickee
The book never says that Rue resembled Prim just that she reminded Katniss of Prim because they were the same size and had similar demeanor.

Here is the quote from the book, the first time Katniss sees Rue: "She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor."

That's why I was confused when I read all those tweets about how surprising it was that Rue was black. I had always pictured her (and Thresh) as being black when I was reading the book.
...as anyone with reading comprehension would do. I read a lot of those tweets. And considering how most of them "read," I'm not surprised they struggled with basic character descriptions.
Old 04-18-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why didn't they just burn the tree she was stuck in down?
Old 06-19-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Dumb bimbo "reviewing" Hunger Games

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yvfSyai_0KY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yvfSyai_0KY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow ... listened to it as far as "Hey everyone ..." Then I hit mute and watched for another 7 minutes. Now I need a shower.
Old 06-20-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83

Old 06-20-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that's the same girl that was on America's Got Talent this week.
Old 09-05-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I finnaly saw the movie. I read the first book about a year ago.

The film is very incompetently made. The filmmakers were lucky they had such a good (however cliched) story with enjoyable characters because otherwise it would be unwatchable. Too bad they didn't get a good director attached to this project.
Old 09-06-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally watched via blu ray last weekend. I really like J. Lawrence (she was excellent in "Winters Bone"). I would give this film about a 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Old 09-06-12, 06:51 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hcXf90kB1cI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-06-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I finnaly saw the movie. I read the first book about a year ago.

The film is very incompetently made. The filmmakers were lucky they had such a good (however cliched) story with enjoyable characters because otherwise it would be unwatchable. Too bad they didn't get a good director attached to this project.
Ross is a good director, he just hasn't done any action flicks.

He directed Pleasantville and Seabiscuit, which are great. Hey, it was a tactical desicion. He co-wrote the script, co-produced, and directed the film and isn't coming back for the sequels. He got his money and now can concentrate on passion projects. Well played.
Old 09-07-12, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah well played by him, but all we got was a crummy movie.
Old 09-07-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I originally went to the theatre and saw this the weekend it opened, but I made the mistake of seeing it on only 4 hours of sleep and went to the theatre after a long 9 hour work shift. Well, I fell asleep 20 minutes in and woke up with only 30 minutes left and didn't understand the film at all. Basically wasted my $9.

Well, I rented the DVD from Red Box last week to give it another shot. This time around I was wide awake the whole 140+ minutes. I think I liked it for the most part. I think it was definitely comparible to an American version of Battle Royale, although more geared towards the teen/young adult audience. I enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence as Catniss alot, but what I thought was the weak point of the movie was the whole forced star crossed lovers angle with Peeta. I don't think it was really developed well enough for me to care about them as a couple.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.