Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does your S.O. talk during movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have friends and family both whose girlfriends and wives watch movies like they are interactive experiences. To the guys with SOs on here, do you have that same issue and if you do, how do you deal with it? I found it intolerable just the few times I experienced it. I couldn't imagine trying to watch movies that way all the time. Maybe that's why I'm single? Anyhow, can you guys relate?
Old 03-04-12, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does your S.O. talk during movies?

Sometimes and when she does i tell her to stfu or she aint getting any later. does the trick
Old 03-04-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 03-04-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I have friends and family both whose girlfriends and wives watch movies like they are interactive experiences. To the guys with SOs on here, do you have that same issue and if you do, how do you deal with it? I found it intolerable just the few times I experienced it. I couldn't imagine trying to watch movies that way all the time. Maybe that's why I'm single? Anyhow, can you guys relate?
My wife did when we first got together, I politely told her I can't watch movies that way, so she stopped.

Her parents are fucking awful though, and will not shut up to the point that when they visit or vice versa, I won't even bother to watch anything of substance for the duration.
Old 03-04-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

My wife typically falls asleep.

If she does stay awake, she falls into sync with whatever I am doing. Sometimes we make fun of the movie, sometimes we don't really pay attention, sometimes we are dead silent.
Old 03-04-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

She doesn't in the theater, but she does at home and it drives me CRAZY. I often find myself "sneaking" On Demand viewings of my favorite shows or movies during the week because I couldn't hear half the dialogue the first time I watched it.
Old 03-04-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

If we have seen the movie a hundred times she's constantly flapping her gums. If it's a first time viewing or I look annoyed she is pretty quiet.
Old 03-04-12, 08:19 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Her parents are fucking awful though, and will not shut up to the point that when they visit or vice versa, I won't even bother to watch anything of substance for the duration.
My folks are a nightmare. I can't stand watching a movie with them.

It starts within the first 90 seconds. "Who's that guy?" "Why's he doing that?" "What's this movie about?"

About 20 minutes into the movie, one of them will get up and go do something. They'll come back in 5 minutes. And about a minute later they start complaining about how they don't understand what's happening.

Throughout the whole film my Dad holds on to the remote, constantly turning the volume up for dialogue and turning it down for action scenes. Of course the volume is too low when the next dialogue scene comes up. So they have to rewind the movie. But he always screws that up by going back too far or hitting the wrong button, and it takes them 3-4 minutes to get back to the right spot.

Then they fall asleep in the last 10 minutes. When they wake up, I have to explain the ending. But it's like they were watching a totally different movie. Somehow, they missed every important plot point. "I thought he was a good guy?" "Those two were brothers?" "Then who's the guy that got killed?"

Old 03-04-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
My wife typically falls asleep.

If she does stay awake, she falls into sync with whatever I am doing. Sometimes we make fun of the movie, sometimes we don't really pay attention, sometimes we are dead silent.
You lucky bastard.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
She doesn't in the theater, but she does at home and it drives me CRAZY. I often find myself "sneaking" On Demand viewings of my favorite shows or movies during the week because I couldn't hear half the dialogue the first time I watched it.
Originally Posted by Toddarino
If we have seen the movie a hundred times she's constantly flapping her gums. If it's a first time viewing or I look annoyed she is pretty quiet.
My wife is a mix of these two.

Last edited by auto; 03-04-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 08:50 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Sometimes she'll say something, sometimes I'll say something, if I think we missed something important in the process I'll rewind it... -kd5-
Old 03-04-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

My wife is the best. Not a peep and our tastes are very similar.
Old 03-04-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not currently in a relationship but my last 3 girlfriends all wouldn't shut up. One even was a "loud whisperer". Like, it served no purpose. It was like she was talking but with just a hushed tone over her voice. Bugged the crap out of me. I've never had the balls to tell them to shut up, though. I just dealt with it.
Old 03-04-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not in the theater, but she yaps at home. It's okay though, because we rarely watch anything together.
Old 03-04-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

"Who is that?"
"What else has he been in?"
"Is he going to die?"
"Why did she do that?"
"Why did they shoot him?"
"Who's that guy?"
"How does this movie end?"
"Is she on a tv show?"
"Why did he tell her that?"
"Why did he kiss her?"
"Are they going to end up together?"
"Has he been in another movie?"
"What did he say? I couldn't hear it."
"Where does this take place?"
"What kind of car is that?"

Ahh.. the joys of watching a movie with a Quizmaster...
Old 03-04-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My last girlfriend did... May she rest in peace.
Old 03-04-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife tries talking at the movies, but I just ignore her. It's just like home.
Old 03-04-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

My fiancee is quiet when we watch movies. If we're not in a theater, she might ask a quick question but not very often. I love her.
Old 03-04-12, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

yes, and it bugs the crap out of me... I've learned reaching over to enact a small pinch is very effective.
Old 03-04-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
My fiancee is quiet when we watch movies. If we're not in a theater, she might ask a quick question but not very often. I love her.
If she was a pain in the ass I would like to assume you wouldn't have moved from Southern California just to be with her.
Old 03-04-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
If she was a pain in the ass I would like to assume you wouldn't have moved from Southern California just to be with her.
During my first visit to see her, our first date was to a movie. I kinda wonder how things would've turned out if she was a pain at that movie. Would that have been a deal-breaker? Glad I didn't have to find out because I really would've had to think about if I was going to visit her again.
Old 03-04-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife starts out pretty yappy at the beginning but eventually she settles down. And it's always the most inane stuff. "Look at her hair" "Oh, I love those curtains" "We used to have one just like that growing up".
I should count my blessings because she hates most science fiction, fantasy or action movies. So that leaves me to watch what I like in peace.
Old 03-05-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

My wife is pretty quiet. She's even learned to sit through the credits with me at the theater.

When I watch a classic film with my mom, she's always saying, "Oh, he's dead. Oh, she's dead too. These people are all dead."
Old 03-05-12, 02:37 AM
Suspended

only at home when we go to the movies she curls her legs up in the chair and like stretches out. she's so cute. also we usually bring little bottles of wine which keeps her occupied. we rarely ever go out to the movies only because it's such a hassle but netflix or xfinity we'll stream shit all weekend.
Old 03-05-12, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Oh dear God yes... yap, question, yap, question, commentary on the deeper meaning of something on screen, and etc.

And she's constantly missing lines so she ends up either asking what someone said, or at home...having me rewind the DVD/Streaming.

But she let's me touch her tits and fuck her so it's all good...
Old 03-05-12, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"Who is that?"
"What else has he been in?"
"Is he going to die?"
"Why did she do that?"
"Why did they shoot him?"
"Who's that guy?"
"How does this movie end?"
"Is she on a tv show?"
"Why did he tell her that?"
"Why did he kiss her?"
"Are they going to end up together?"
"Has he been in another movie?"
"What did he say? I couldn't hear it."
"Where does this take place?"
"What kind of car is that?"

Ahh.. the joys of watching a movie with a Quizmaster...
Sounds like a friend of mine. I hated when she would visit to watch a movie. She'd constantly ask those stupid questions and stuff like "does this have a happy ending?" or "will they explain why they hate each other?". You know, shit I wouldn't know since I was trying to watch the damn movie for the first time.

I'd feel sorry for the schlub that asked her to marry him except, thanks to him, she no longer visits and I can watch movies in peace. So I really should send him a thank you card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.