Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert B. Sherman, Disney songwriter, 1925-2012

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-06-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1033852

Robert Sherman, songwriter behind ‘It’s a Small World’ and ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’, dead at 86
Teamed with his brother to net 23 gold and platinum albums

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 11:20 AM

LONDON — Robert B. Sherman, one half of the prolific, award-winning pair of brothers who penned instantly memorable songs for “Mary Poppins,” “The Jungle Book” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” — as well as the most-played tune on Earth, “It’s a Small World (After All)” — has died. He was 86.

Sherman’s agent, Stella Richards, said Tuesday that Sherman died peacefully in London on Monday.

Sherman, together with his brother Richard, won two Academy Awards for Walt Disney’s 1964 smash “Mary Poppins” — best score and best song, “Chim Chim Cher-ee.” They also picked up a Grammy for best movie or TV score.

Their hundreds of credits as joint lyricist and composer also include the films “Winnie the Pooh,” “The Slipper and the Rose,” “Snoopy Come Home,” “Charlotte’s Web” and “The Magic of Lassie.” Their Broadway musicals included 1974’s “Over Here!” and stagings of “Mary Poppins” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” in the mid-2000s.

Son Jeffrey Sherman wrote on Facebook that his father “wanted to bring happiness to the world and, unquestionably, he succeeded.”

“His love and his prayers, his philosophy and his poetry will live on forever,” his son wrote. “Forever his songs and his genius will bring hope, joy and love to this small, small world.

The brothers’ awards include 23 gold and platinum albums and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They became the only Americans ever to win First Prize at the Moscow Film Festival for “Tom Sawyer” in 1973 and were inducted into the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame in 2005.

President George W. Bush awarded them the National Medal of Arts in 2008, commended for music that “has helped bring joy to millions.”

“Something good happens when we sit down together and work,” Richard Sherman told The Associated Press in a 2005 joint interview. “We’ve been doing it all our lives. Practically since college we’ve been working together.”

Their awards include 23 gold and platinum albums and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They became the only Americans ever to win First Prize at the Moscow Film Festival for “Tom Sawyer” in 1973 and were inducted into the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame in 2005.

President George W. Bush awarded them the National Medal of Arts in 2008, commended for music that “has helped bring joy to millions.”

Most of the songs the Shermans wrote — in addition to being catchy and playful — work on multiple levels for different ages, something they learned from Disney.

“He once told us, early on in our career, ’Don’t insult the kid — don’t write down to the kid. And don’t write just for the adult.’ So we write for grandpa and the 4-year-old — and everyone in between — and all see it on a different level,” Richard Sherman said.

The Shermans began a decade-long partnership with Disney during the 1960s after having written hit pop songs like “Tall Paul” for ex-Mouseketeer Annette Funicello and “You’re Sixteen,” later recorded by Ringo Starr.

They wrote over 150 songs at Disney, including the soundtracks for such films as “The Sword and the Stone,” “The Parent Trap,” “Bedknobs and Broomsticks,” “The Jungle Book,” “The Aristocrats” and “The Tigger Movie.”

The two credited their father, composer Al Sherman, with challenging them to write songs and for their love of wordsmithing. His legacy of songs includes “You Gotta Be a Football Hero,” “(What Do We Do On a) Dew-Dew-Dewy Day” and “On the Beach at Bali-Bali.” His sons went on to popularize the terms “fantasmagorical” and “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.”

The Shermans teased songs out of each other, brainstorming titles and then trying to top each other with improvements. “Being brothers, we sort of short-cut each other,” Richard Sherman said. “We can almost look at each other and know, ’Hey, you’re onto something, kiddo.”’

Most of their songs were written quickly, but others took longer. The pair spent two weeks trying to nail down a snappy title for a song sung by the nanny in “Mary Poppins.” They considered, and then nixed, “An Apple a Day” and “A Stitch in Time.”

“Nothing was coming,” Robert Sherman recalled. Then one day his then-8-year-old son came home from school. “I said, ’How was school?’ He said, ’Great. We got the (polio) vaccine today.’ I said, ’Oh, did it hurt?’ He said, ’No, they just stuck medicine on a lump of sugar.’ I went, ’Ohhhh!’ That was it!”

“He came in the next day all glassy-eyed,” Richard Sherman recalled. The final lyric would become world famous when it emerged from the lips of Julie Andrews: “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.”

Another of their songs — “It’s a Small World (After All)” — has become one of the most translated and performed songs on the planet. It plays on a continual, multilingual loop every few minutes at Disney theme parks across the world — a fact that Disney employees are only too well aware.

“We’ve driven teenagers crazy in every language,” quipped Robert Sherman.

Away from the piano, the two raised families and pursued their own interests, yet still lived close to each other in Beverly Hills and continued working well into their 70s. When “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” came to Broadway in 2005, they added new lyrics and four new songs.

One of the new songs was “Teamwork.” The Shermans were sitting with “Chitty” producers and adaptors trying to pitch ideas for a new tune. Someone in the room said they’d nail it as long as they all worked as a team.

“I thought, ’Teamwork would make a dream work,”’ Richard Sherman recalled. His brother shot him a look. “He looks at me and says, ’Has that been written down?’ I said, ’I don’t think so.’ He says, ’That’s our song!’ It was like — bang. We built on that.”

The first draft of the song was written in 30 minutes.

Though they were estranged for a number of years, the brothers largely avoided sibling rivalry. When asked about that, Richard Sherman was philosophical, touching and jokey all at the same time — much like the trunkful of songs he wrote with his brother.

“We’re human. We have frailties and weaknesses. But we love each other very much, respect each other,” he said. “I’m happy that he’s a successful guy. That makes me a successful guy.”

Sherman was based for the last decade of his life in London, where he wrote new songs for stage revivals of “Mary Poppins” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.”

He is survived by his wife, Joyce, and four children: Laurie, Jeffrey, Andrea and Robert.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ogQ0uge06o?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ogQ0uge06o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 03-06-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Robert B. Sherman, Disney songwriter, 1925-2012

That obit mentions his brother and songwriting partner, Richard M. Sherman, but neglects to mention that Richard also survives him. I had to go to IMDB to look him up to see if he was still alive. He is.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-06-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

A spoonful of sugar doesn't help this medicine go down

So many sing the songs, so many do not know who wrote them.

Old 03-06-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Sad news.. great composer RIP
Old 03-06-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Thankfully, this was made/released just in time:

Highly recommended.
Old 03-06-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I got this but haven't listened to it yet

Originally Posted by TomOpus
A spoonful of sugar doesn't help this medicine go down

So many sing the songs, so many do not know who wrote them.

QFT
Old 03-06-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He also wrote the theme for the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2 right? RIP.
Old 03-06-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I appreciate that they cop to driving many people crazy over the years with "It's a Small World." I went to Disney World once when I was probably 8 or 9 years old, the only time I've ever gone. Anyway, my sister loved that ride and made the family go on it way too many times. I still have that damn song playing in my head!
Old 03-06-12, 01:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That obit mentions his brother and songwriting partner, Richard M. Sherman, but neglects to mention that Richard also survives him. I had to go to IMDB to look him up to see if he was still alive. He is.
It also fails to mention their bitter hatred of one another. It says they are "estranged" but don't have any "sibling rivalry". Yeah, no sibling rivalry...they just hate each other

They are (were) a strange pair of brothers. No great art comes without conflict I guess.

What they did will probably never be bettered or duplicated. Like Disney himself their talent flourished in an era that was ideal for their kind of talent.
Old 03-06-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

RIP but Points deducted for this reason. I hate this song.

Another of their songs — “It’s a Small World (After All)” — has become one of the most translated and performed songs on the planet. It plays on a continual, multilingual loop every few minutes at Disney theme parks across the world — a fact that Disney employees are only too well aware.
Old 03-06-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
RIP but Points deducted for this reason. I hate this song.

But you have to add points for "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." Imagine the balls it took to pitch a song title that nobody could spell to the executives.

From memory:
Who invented music? I'd like to shake his hand.
Because music puts a spell on me that I can't understand.

I've got a dozen Sherman Brothers songs in my head that will stay there for the rest of my life. They wrote a lot of good stuff.