Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vacation - REBOOT/SEQUEL (2015, D: Daley/Goldstein) S: Helms, Applegate

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Vacation - REBOOT/SEQUEL (2015, D: Daley/Goldstein) S: Helms, Applegate

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 11:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Vacation - REBOOT/SEQUEL (2015, D: Daley/Goldstein) S: Helms, Applegate

Originally Posted by TGM
I think Jason Sudeikis would have made a much better choice to play Rusty to reboot this franchise. He reminds me more of a young Chevy Chase... equal parts loveable goofball and smarmy dickhead.
If he hadn't already done a road trip movie ("Meet the Millers") I would agree with you.
Old 07-27-15, 12:19 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I don't see them recasting Helms, but could see them carrying over the joke and recasting his kids in any sequel.
Old 07-27-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha. Like this'll get a sequel.

I watched the most recent trailer and didn't laugh one single time. If anything, I was cringing.
Old 07-27-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Such a missed opportunity to have a scene where a dead Clark is strapped to the roof of the vehicle.
That could have been good, though I'm not sure Chase would have agreed to it. I just think the element of having Clark and Helen along would be kind of funny and would have been a decent way to spin off Rusty and his family. Clark could try to re-live and help Rusty try and make his family trip to Wally World better than when he took him and Audrey and also I think the element of the invasive in-laws/grandparents could present some funny moments.
Old 07-27-15, 02:35 PM

Ellen.
Old 07-27-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Ellen.
I always mess that up.
Old 07-27-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That could have been good, though I'm not sure Chase would have agreed to it. I just think the element of having Clark and Helen along would be kind of funny and would have been a decent way to spin off Rusty and his family. Clark could try to re-live and help Rusty try and make his family trip to Wally World better than when he took him and Audrey and also I think the element of the invasive in-laws/grandparents could present some funny moments.
I bet they'd be willing to kill off Cousin Eddie now though.
Old 07-27-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First Review in From Variety. It's bad.

Film Review: ‘Vacation’

VACATION Movie
Courtesy of Warner Bros.
July 27, 2015 | 11:13AM PT
A new generation of Griswolds take to the highway in a miserably unfunny reboot of the venerable National Lampoon comedy franchise.
Scott Foundas
Chief Film Critic @foundasonfilm

Midway through “Vacation,” the intrepid Griswold clan unwittingly takes a dip in a lake filled with human excrement, which is roughly how most viewers will feel after enduring 90-odd minutes of this miserably unfunny, mean-spirited and just plain wrong reboot of the much-loved 1980s and ’90s National Lampoon comedy series. Corralling a new generation of family members for another ill-fated trek toward that theme-park mecca known as Wally World, this new “Vacation” leans heavily on franchise nostalgia — with multiple cover versions of Lindsay Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” theme song and token cameos for original stars Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo — but trades the earlier films’ endearing buffoonery for a cheap nastiness reminiscent of writers (and first-time directors) Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley’s “Horrible Bosses.” A trip to the corner store with this cast of characters would be an endurance test — which, with any luck, is as far as the movie’s box office returns will carry it.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...ew-1201547024/
Old 07-27-15, 03:35 PM

^^^ Posted this in the Reviews thread already.
Old 07-27-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I bet they'd be willing to kill off Cousin Eddie now though.
The one he wasn't in was terrible. He was one of the few bright spots of Vegas Vacation

Originally Posted by cungar
First Review in From Variety. It's bad.

Film Review: ‘Vacation’

VACATION Movie
Courtesy of Warner Bros.
July 27, 2015 | 11:13AM PT
A new generation of Griswolds take to the highway in a miserably unfunny reboot of the venerable National Lampoon comedy franchise.
Scott Foundas
Chief Film Critic @foundasonfilm

Midway through “Vacation,” the intrepid Griswold clan unwittingly takes a dip in a lake filled with human excrement, which is roughly how most viewers will feel after enduring 90-odd minutes of this miserably unfunny, mean-spirited and just plain wrong reboot of the much-loved 1980s and ’90s National Lampoon comedy series. Corralling a new generation of family members for another ill-fated trek toward that theme-park mecca known as Wally World, this new “Vacation” leans heavily on franchise nostalgia — with multiple cover versions of Lindsay Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” theme song and token cameos for original stars Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo — but trades the earlier films’ endearing buffoonery for a cheap nastiness reminiscent of writers (and first-time directors) Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley’s “Horrible Bosses.” A trip to the corner store with this cast of characters would be an endurance test — which, with any luck, is as far as the movie’s box office returns will carry it.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...ew-1201547024/
Too bad. But I saw the trailer that had them swimming in a cesspool. Really? No one smelled anything out of the ordinary?
Old 08-01-15, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
A funny little story...

A local Facebook friend (named Stephen) posted a little tirade complaining about Hollywood not making original movies anymore and he singled out the new Vacation movie for it:

Stephen's tirade: "can no one in the movie industry come up with an original thought? Or is it just that no one wants to risk a movie that might not do well when they can just continue to remake everything from the 80s for guaranteed ticket sales? Vacation? come on, man."

A few of us posted replies to this that the new movie is really a sequel, not a remake, and is just one more Vacation movie to go with the rest.

But then the funny part happened: this friend at some point in the past had friended Ed Helms (probably from the time before Facebook gave us the "Follow" option instead of "Friending" celebrities) and Ed Helms himself (the verified real one with a checkbox next to his name) posted a reply to the tirade:

Ed Helms: "Hi Stephen - I am happy to confirm that most of us in Hollywood are indeed hollow, fraudulent and uninspired. BUT! As a superfan of the original Vacations, and one for whom the Griswold universe is forever sacred, I can honestly say that we worked our asses off to create something fresh and hilarious and I am insanely proud of this movie. Hope you'll give us a chance!
Wishing you all the best-
Ed"

(Then Stephen replied to this and was somewhat apologetic about his tirade)

Ed Helms doing this makes me want to see the movie even more.
Saw the movie last night.

Ed Helms is a liar.
Old 08-01-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

So, you saw the movie.
Old 08-01-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It's always strange to me how a movie can seem like it will be good long before we've seen a trailer or anything. When this film was announced I thought it might have a shot, but it just looks terrible.
Old 08-01-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Might I remind people the writers/directors were the ones tapped to write the Spider-Man (MCU) reboot.
Old 08-02-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Is Ed Helms such a box-office draw that they picked him to play an adult Rusty? I know several actors have played that character, but why not get Anthony Michael Hall! I know with the same people behind this project it still would have sucked. But he's still a working actor it would have been nice to see him reprise the role regardless.
Old 08-02-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Might I remind people the writers/directors were the ones tapped to write the Spider-Man (MCU) reboot.
Please, don't (remind us). Parting ways with Sam Raimi was the dumbest thing this studio ever did.