Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Out of the Furnace -- D: Cooper S: Bale, Affleck, Harrelson, Dafoe, Zaldana -- 2013

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Out of the Furnace -- D: Cooper S: Bale, Affleck, Harrelson, Dafoe, Zaldana -- 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Out of the Furnace -- D: Cooper S: Bale, Duvall -- 2013

Originally Posted by whotony
So?
Not knocking it. That's some guerilla filmmaking at work.
Old 12-03-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Ah gotcha
Old 12-06-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Kind of confused by these reviews.

52% on RT with a consensus of "While it may not make the most of its incredible cast, Out of the Furnace is still so packed with talent that it's hard to turn away." A number of reviewers call it one of the best movies of the year.

Has a 65 rating on Metacritic, for a "generally favorable" label.
Old 12-06-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Sounds like it's generic but really well executed. It's just nothing new.
Old 12-06-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the tone of the movie and the acting is pretty good, but the plot is sub-par. This movie should have been so much better than it was.

Not really a spoiler but just in case...
Spoiler:
When a movie can't come up with a better way to advance the plot than to have someone inadvertantly make a phone call that gets recorded when shit going down, then you know the movie has problems.

Last edited by Ketamine; 12-06-13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot, it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was really solid overall. I really liked the look and atmosphere of the film and all the actors turned in really solid performances. Bale and Harrelson were both really on top of their game here if you ask me and Affleck turned in a good performance too. Also liked seeing Dafoe even though his role isn't that large. I'd say even though the story may not be the film's strongest suit (though it's not terrible) the film is worth seeing just for the cast alone as everyone is really damn good in it. I'd probably put this up with Prisoners as one of my favorite dramas this year so far.

The one thing that kind of disappoints me with this film is I heard that Eddie Vedder had wrote a bunch of new material that was going to be used but for some reason he and the director decided against using it. The film is still book-ended by Pearl Jam's song Release which is even a newly recorded version of the song but as a big Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder fan I'd really love to hear what he came up with for the film. I hope at some point the material is released.

Originally Posted by RichC2
My issue with the movie is it just looks really generic. It looks like a Jason Statham movie done arthouse style.
Seems like a weird thing to say. The film isn't an action movie at all really, it's more of a slow burn drama.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-08-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw this yesterday. I like it a lot but at the same time I think it's pacing in the script itself could have been tightened. I did like that it was a slow burn. And a good one at that. It just felt a bit off. I loved everything else about it. Reminded me of a 1970s flick with the plot. The script does do well in that people's lives keep moving forward. Great cast for sure. And I loved the finale for Russell. Not showy, nor to emotional. Just what a man, a brother, had to do. I loved that part.
Old 12-08-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

This was pretty solid, really enjoyed it. The RT rating it has received isn't warranted. Yes, it doesn't bring anything new to the table plot wise, but everything was executed really well. Acting was 1st rate, the direction was good (found the story engaging and was never bored).

Worth checking out. I'll add it to my collection one day.
Old 12-08-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Seems like a weird thing to say. The film isn't an action movie at all really, it's more of a slow burn drama.
Was more a reference to the plot.

I'll see this eventually no doubt.
Old 12-09-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It's Killing Me Softy all over again except that KMS took twice as long to film and at half the budget. KMS was budgeted at 15 million and OOTF was budgeted at 27 million and only shot for 17 days. That goes to show you that whoever worked on OOTF got paid REALLY well. Below the line folks, too.
Old 12-09-13, 12:52 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I don't really understand the mixed reviews for this. I enjoyed every minute of it. The acting was fantastic. Bale is just amazing with everything he touches. That scene on the bridge with him and Zaldana was heartbreaking.
Old 12-09-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wanted to like it. Went to the early show on Friday and had high hopes for this one (which may be part of the problem). I'm a fan of many of the actors in this movie, thought the acting was top notch, and I loved the tone of this movie. I just thought the plot was sloppy and felt forced at times.
Old 12-09-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I don't really understand the mixed reviews for this. I enjoyed every minute of it. The acting was fantastic. Bale is just amazing with everything he touches. That scene on the bridge with him and Zaldana was heartbreaking.
Yeah I think it's a lot better than what a lot of the reviews are giving it credit for. I thought it was entertaining from start to finish and really well acted. One of the better films I've seen this year.
Old 12-10-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This didn't do much at the box office.

The studio had all fall to release this and it probably would have done much better. So tired of everything being saved up for late November and December.
Old 12-10-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was released on a weekend with no competition or anything that at all appealed to the same audience, and with a generic plot and lackluster reviews, it was going to be a tough sell. Mix in poor audience feedback (Cinemascore was a C+) and I don't think there was a whole lot anyone could do for it.

IMO, it was going to flop at almost any release period this year.
Old 01-02-14, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Out of the Furnace -- D: Cooper S: Bale, Affleck, Harrelson, Dafoe, Zaldana -- 2

I wanted to like this as well, but I was very underwhelmed given the A-list cast. It was an alright drama, but nothing very spectacular or unique. Good way to kill a few hours.
Old 01-02-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
So tired of everything being saved up for late November and December.
Yep'. Studios are very stuck doing that. It's in hopes that it finds an audience, and gets a big boost from Oscar advertisements. Everyone wants their little drama to be like Erin Brokavich and make $100M+.

Also, studios don't have any reason to believe that people will go to see good movies. It's a historical fact. It's why we don't get good movies (I should say "movies that make studios confident") during the "dumping seasons" (January, February, August, September).

That said, I still didn't go see this. Like I said before - I'm from a shitty small town like the one portrayed here. And it leaves the actors looking like stereotypes, models and phonies to me.
Old 01-02-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That said, I still didn't go see this. Like I said before - I'm from a shitty small town like the one portrayed here. And it leaves the actors looking like stereotypes, models and phonies to me.
I honestly didn't get much of that vibe from the film. The closest character that came to being somewhat of a stereotypical small town hick was Harrelson's character but even that I didn't think was terrible. The other actors didn't come off too model pretty or anything like that to me either. Seemed like the film was trying to give small town life a fair take rather than trying to be insulting.
Old 07-04-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Out of the Furnace -- D: Cooper S: Bale, Affleck, Harrelson, Dafoe, Zaldana -- 2

Originally Posted by Ketamine
I liked the tone of the movie and the acting is pretty good, but the plot is sub-par. This movie should have been so much better than it was.

Not really a spoiler but just in case...
Spoiler:
When a movie can't come up with a better way to advance the plot than to have someone inadvertantly make a phone call that gets recorded when shit going down, then you know the movie has problems.
Originally Posted by Ketamine
I really wanted to like it. Went to the early show on Friday and had high hopes for this one (which may be part of the problem). I'm a fan of many of the actors in this movie, thought the acting was top notch, and I loved the tone of this movie. I just thought the plot was sloppy and felt forced at times.
Originally Posted by My Other Self
I wanted to like this as well, but I was very underwhelmed given the A-list cast. It was an alright drama, but nothing very spectacular or unique. Good way to kill a few hours.
Watched it last night and I agree with the above comments. Worth watching for Dafoe & Harrelson's performances which I thought were the best in the underused talented cast.
Old 07-27-15, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i just saw this and liked it very much. very slow burn and almost poetic in some of the carnage, both psychological and physical. performances were intense. liked it all around.
Old 07-27-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still wish that Eddie Vedder would release the songs that he was working on for this film. Sounded like there was quite a bit but he and the director decided on not using them for some reason. Really like this film a lot though. These slow burn dramas tend to be one of my favorite genres.