Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relativity Media and the US Government have a hit on their hands this weekend!

Originally Posted by Deadline
1. Act Of Valor (Relativity) NEW [3,039 Theaters]
Est Friday $10M-$12M, Est Weekend $28M-$34M

2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds (Lionsgate) NEW [2,132 Theaters]
Est Friday $6M-$7M, Est Weekend: $14M-$16M

3. Journey 2 (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,350 Theaters]
Est Friday $2.5-$3.0M, Est Weekend $11M-$12M

4. Safe House (Universal) Week 3 [3,052 Theaters]
Est Friday $3M-$3.5M, Est Weekend $10M-$11M

5. Wanderlust (Universal) NEW [2,002 Theaters]
Est Friday $2M-$3M, Est Weekend $6M-$7M

6. Gone (Summit) NEW [2,186 Theaters]
Est Friday $1M-$2M, Est Weekend $4M-$5M
OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

... and ouch for Tyler Perry. He must be wiping away his tears with $100 bills that he's not opening a film at number one this weekend.
Old 02-24-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competi

Maybe Tyler Perry forgot to tell his audience to "make sure the ticket stub is correct" this time around.

Conspiracy??!?
Old 02-24-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competi

You know it's rough when the bastion of Black cinema, Tyler Perry, can't even get a #1 opening during his month.

I have a feeling that Act of Valor might beat Battle: LA for most obvious recruitment video posing as a film.
Old 02-24-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Maybe Tyler Perry forgot to tell his audience to "make sure the ticket stub is correct" this time around.

Conspiracy??!?
Racism! Of course!
Old 02-24-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
A $45 million gamble that will be lucky to gross $4.5 million domestically? God bless Hollywood.

Old 02-24-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

For a film that costs more than $15 million, I disagree with "talent" in the crew. Here, I'll point out the two biggest flaws right now:

1. The two directors have no proven track record with directing anything. Not a short film, music video, commercial campaign; nothing.

2. The writer has been credited by SAG on a draft of 300 (Snyder wrote the final draft which ended up on screen) and a direct-to-video film from fifteen years ago.

On-screen talent doesn't matter. Films like The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity and others have proven you can open a film and have it gross $100 million domestically on hype and premise alone. You know how much those films cost? Five-figures each and each film had a P&A budget of under $10 million.

As I discovered, Relativity is assisting with theatrical and home video distribution. The same studio which just shitcanned a chunk of its staff and can't open a film and/or release an actual film of quality (take your pick).

This film has FAILURE written all over it. I'd be surprised if it grosses more than $7-8 million its opening weekend. The only option it has of succeeding is if the film is rock solid and has amazing word of mouth.
Old 02-24-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Acts of Valor? Good Deeds? Y'think any moviegoers are confusing the two?
Old 02-24-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
What do you mean by that? As far as I know the film was picked up by a distributor like any other. Or perhaps you'd like to share you true feelings for our men and women in service?

Last edited by Artman; 02-24-12 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on the thread title. Gases the competition is kinda harsh though.
Old 02-25-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Stay classy, America.
Old 02-25-12, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Usually a fan of the inventive and often funny thread titles, but this one crosses the line.
Old 02-25-12, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, Act of Valor is a regular movie starring real Navy seals? I really thought it was a documentary.
Old 02-25-12, 07:43 AM
Banned

I thought the thread title was sure to be "Gone are the Good Act's of Wanderlust".
Deadline is now saying that Act of Valor may do around $27 Million for the weekend meaning it was rather front loaded on Friday. So it appears this films audience is much like the Navy seals themselves: quick to pull the trigger

Really surprised Wanderlust is bombing. I don't like Aniston but that looks like the only decent new release this week. Well at least I will be able to catch it at the dollar movies here in a few weeks.

Gone honestly would have provoked near equal levels of disdain from me that Act of Valor does but it looks so damn slight I cant even summon up any hate for it. While Act of Valor may seem like something that should go direct-to-DVD/Blu, GONE looks like something made for the damn lifetime channel .

ANd Good Deeds looked looked laughably bad like a cross between that N-Secure movie, The Room, and the pursuit of happyness. yeesh
Old 02-25-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of the posters concerning Act of Valor make me sad for humanity. OP is one.
Old 02-25-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
Really surprised Wanderlust is bombing.
I'm not. The trailers didn't make it look anything more than "wait for it on home video" kind of thing. Not only were they not funny but I haven't a clue what it's about exactly.
Old 02-25-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really digging the Triumph of the Will reference. Yes, Act of Valor is pretty clearly American military propaganda - but propaganda is hardly exclusively a Nazi thing. Lots of American films made during World War II were clearly made to get people excited about joining the military (in spite of the fact that there was a draft, so if you were a healthy guy in the right age group it didn't really matter whether you were excited about it or not) and to think positively of the War and American values in general. Some of them were documentaries explicitly defending the American cause (various Frank Capra and John Ford films, a lot of Disney shorts,) while others were "entertainments" that drew parallels between historical or fictional "heroic ventures" and the contemporary conflict (Sgt. York, most of the war films being made that weren't about WW2.)

In other words, while it can be criticized for lacking subtlety and for blatantly pushing a certain message, propaganda isn't inherently evil nor is it always used for evil causes. In fact, some of the British propaganda films of WW2 - specifically ones made by Alberto Cavalcanti and Powell & Pressburger - are genuinely great films. I'm against America's current military ventures, but the military itself is obviously an essential thing and I don't think it's such a terrible thing for a movie to promote it (even if I have no interest in joining, and will thus probably never see the film.) Joining because it looked "cool" in a movie or game isn't a good reason - but there will always be people with bad reasons for joining the military just as there will always be people with good reasons for joining.

(I know, I'm probably taking the title a bit too seriously, but it does make a fairly offensive comparison.)

Last edited by Sondheim; 02-25-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 12:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would we prefer "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man"? Because I can change it to that.
Old 02-25-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or anything. I say keep it as it is, and let people condemn or applaud the OP as they please.
Old 02-25-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a truly unrelated note, it makes me incredibly happy that The Artist has made $30,000,000. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but the fact that a film of that kind can actually get good distribution and make a decent amount of money in America in 2012 is rather heartening.
Old 02-25-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(I know, I'm probably taking the title a bit too seriously, but it does make a fairly offensive comparison.)
You aren't. Just visit the Act of Valor thread to see some truly crazy reactions to the film.
Old 02-25-12, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sondheim
On a truly unrelated note, it makes me incredibly happy that The Artist has made $30,000,000. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but the fact that a film of that kind can actually get good distribution and make a decent amount of money in America in 2012 is rather heartening.
The only question becomes how much of that 30 million was dumped back into rewards seasons? It's not like the Weinstein's try to buy Oscars... Oh wait...

fitprod
Old 02-25-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm not. The trailers didn't make it look anything more than "wait for it on home video" kind of thing. Not only were they not funny but I haven't a clue what it's about exactly.
I loved "Role Models", but I didn't laugh once during the trailer for "Wanderlust". It's also a horrible title. I still don't understand how Aniston has a career in movies. I don't dislike her as a person. I've seen her on countless talk shows and she seems like a very sweet person. But other than "The Good Girl" and "Horrible Bosses", she's the same in everything she does. With little or no range. And most of her films stink (the writing, directing, etc).
Old 02-25-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
What do you mean by that? As far as I know the film was picked up by a distributor like any other. Or perhaps you'd like to share you true feelings for our men and women in service?
It's public knowledge that the government paid the directors to make a recruitment film for the Navy SEALs and when the directors changed their game plan to make it a "feature film with a story," the money the government funded wasn't retracted. Some of the budget was privately financed by investors and the other by our own government. So, yes, the film is that of propaganda (and a recruitment film).

If someone wanted to adapt Call of Duty: Modern Warfare into a feature film with a $200 million budget, I'd be there opening weekend. A low-budget feature that critics are thrashing left and right? No thanks.

... and as a Jew, I can make jokes about Hitler and concentration camps. But nobody else in this thread can... unless it's hilarious.

... and we don't even need to change the thread to "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man." We could change it to "America Keeps Down Black Man" to really end Black History Month on a high note. Maybe that's what they're doing in the south. Every ticket for Good Deeds ends up magically becoming a ticket for Act of Valor.
Old 02-25-12, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's public knowledge that the government paid the directors to make a recruitment film for the Navy SEALs and when the directors changed their game plan to make it a "feature film with a story," the money the government funded wasn't retracted. Some of the budget was privately financed by investors and the other by our own government. So, yes, the film is that of propaganda (and a recruitment film).

If someone wanted to adapt Call of Duty: Modern Warfare into a feature film with a $200 million budget, I'd be there opening weekend. A low-budget feature that critics are thrashing left and right? No thanks.

... and as a Jew, I can make jokes about Hitler and concentration camps. But nobody else in this thread can... unless it's hilarious.

... and we don't even need to change the thread to "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man." We could change it to "America Keeps Down Black Man" to really end Black History Month on a high note. Maybe that's what they're doing in the south. Every ticket for Good Deeds ends up magically becoming a ticket for Act of Valor.
id approve of this...
Old 02-25-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Would we prefer "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man"? Because I can change it to that.
Why haven't you banned crazychris88/chris_sc77 yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.