Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Directors you've fallen out of love with?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Directors you've fallen out of love with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 10:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Directors you've fallen out of love with?

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Not to hijack the thread but what did you not like about No Country for Old Men?
I didn't care about the characters nor the story for that matter, Javier Bardem as the antagonist just irked me to no avail - I didn't know whether to cringe or just laugh at his performance - and that ending or non-ending - just utterly pretentious. This movie ranks with Crash (Paul Haggis), Cronenberg's Spider and Chasing Amy as movies where I felt like I wasted two hours of my life.
Old 02-24-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
I didn't care about the characters nor the story for that matter, Javier Bardem as the antagonist just irked me to no avail - I didn't know whether to cringe or just laugh at his performance - and that ending or non-ending - just utterly pretentious. This movie ranks with Crash (Paul Haggis), Cronenberg's Spider and Chasing Amy as movies where I felt like I wasted two hours of my life.
Fair enough. It hit me just right and I loved it. Something about that movie melded perfectly with my brain.
Old 02-25-12, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm sure he thinks he can bring an ass-ton more "life experience" than Anderson, Fincher, Tarantino, and Aaronfsky combined.
Ahh, the old "you couldn't do any better" argument. I love that one. Thanks for playing.
Old 02-25-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Ahh, the old "you couldn't do any better" argument. I love that one. Thanks for playing.
Old 02-25-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

james cameron
Old 02-25-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Even though I don't agree with his views, he's right about the "you couldn't do better" argument being bullshit.
Old 02-25-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Even though I don't agree with his views, he's right about the "you couldn't do better" argument being bullshit.
I actually agree with that too, but the impetus that brought this about was the whole "Fincher/Tarantino/etc. lack the life experiences to be truly great directors" bullshit argument.

From someone lurking on an Internet message forum...
Old 02-25-12, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I actually agree with that too, but the impetus that brought this about was the whole "Fincher/Tarantino/etc. lack the life experiences to be truly great directors" bullshit argument.

From someone lurking on an Internet message forum...
It's not that they can't be great directors because of their life experiences...it's the kind of films they make. Who the fuck is Aronofski to make such a pompous statement as The Fountain, or Anderson and Magnolia? These guys are full of shit. They should be making genre films. At least they would be genuine.

That's why I left Tarantino out of my criticisms. He's essentially making genre pastiche films that wear their inspirations on their sleeves. He's not hiding behind some hoary "bold artistic statement" BS. Plus he has a sense of humor about it all. That's a bit easier to take than those other guys who seem to really think they are Altman/Bergman/Kubrick/etc all rolled into one.
Old 02-25-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

George Lucas. I can forgive Romero and Argento for making bad movies, but Lucas is dead in my eyes.
Old 02-25-12, 06:26 PM

Another vote for Oliver Stone. From Platoon-Nixon, definitely my favorite director. From U Turn on....terrible.

To add a new name I'll throw out John McTiernan. Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October are all great movies. Then came Medicine Man and all the shit that followed.
Old 02-25-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matty-O
To add a new name I'll throw out John McTiernan. Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October are all great movies. Then came Medicine Man and all the shit that followed.
Yeah McTiernan was done after Red October, although I did like his Thomas Crowne Affair.
Old 02-25-12, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not that they can't be great directors because of their life experiences...it's the kind of films they make. Who the fuck is Aronofski to make such a pompous statement as The Fountain, or Anderson and Magnolia? These guys are full of shit. They should be making genre films. At least they would be genuine.

That's why I left Tarantino out of my criticisms. He's essentially making genre pastiche films that wear their inspirations on their sleeves. He's not hiding behind some hoary "bold artistic statement" BS. Plus he has a sense of humor about it all. That's a bit easier to take than those other guys who seem to really think they are Altman/Bergman/Kubrick/etc all rolled into one.
alright...well...who are most storytellers? You're taking a film too serious and generalizing a reaction (or however you want to name it) to it. Who the fuck are you or I to believe in a director's storytelling? Nobody. Nobody but some blokes on the web. Nobodies to the grand schemes in film.
Old 02-25-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious as to who you think should make movies like The Fountain or Magnolia, and has the life experiences to back them up.
Old 02-25-12, 10:31 PM

Cameron Crowe~Really enjoyed the 1-2 punch of Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous, then he crapped out from that point on.

Steven Soderbergh~Loved Out of Sight, Traffic, Erin Brockovich, then I didn't care very much for his Solaris remake so I ignored everything after that (Didn't want to be bothered with the hottie fest of the Ocean's Eleven franchise)

Also hate M. Night, Tim Burton, Oliver Stone, Kevin Smith (Though I still love Clerks and the 4-hour lecture where he tells funny stories)

Woody Allen~I miss his old style (Bananas, Sleeper, Love and Death)
Old 02-26-12, 12:43 AM
Banned

Who the fuck is Aronofski to make such a pompous statement as The Fountain, or Anderson and Magnolia?

Is it their respective age that bothers you? How old are you, by the way?
Old 02-26-12, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Cameron Crowe~Really enjoyed the 1-2 punch of Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous, then he crapped out from that point on.

Must've been a momentary brainfart on your part, but obviously you meant a 1-2-3 punch.

Old 02-26-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the Kevin Smith mention. I still like his first few films, but his films from the last ten years just aren't as clever or biting, and since he started smoking pot his films have been terrible.

Luc Besson is another one. Leon is great! The Fifth Element is loopy, but great! Since then though?

Since Ocean's Eleven, Steven Soderbergh has been more miss than hit for me. I loathed The Girlfriend Experience. Tried to like it. The more I thought about it, the more I hated it. The Good German and Bubble are noble failures. But they're still failures.

I'd like Robert Rodriguez to make something half as fun as Planet Terror again. His last three films have been bad ideas.

I'm still with Spielberg, Eastwood, and Scott, though. We tend to remember the better films, so when a disappointment comes along it shakes our faith a bit, but really, they've all been hit or miss in the past, and they'll continue to be. As for De Palma, while I hated Mission to Mars and The Black Dahlia, I didn't see any of his other recent films. I've heard good things about Femme Fatale. I've heard nothing but bad things about Redacted.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Berlin Alexzombieplatz
I'd watch that flick.

Anderson and Aronofski have never done anything outside of being born rich, growing up hanging around with Hollywood assholes and pretending to be great artists making their crap movies.
What absolute bollocks. Wes Anderson is from Houston, Paul Thomas Anderson is from Cleveland (which Anderson do you mean anyway? Rare name, I know), while Darren Aronofsky is from Brooklyn. A quick map consultation should verify that no city mentioned is near Hollywood, nor the assholes therein. Both of Aronofsky's parents were schoolteachers - hardly a rich line of work - and while Wes Anderson's dad might have made some bank advertising, there's nothing to suggest he had a soft upbringing. PTA Anderson - hey, his dad was a host on local TV! And he knew big-name actors like Robert Ridgely! Boy, you sure have his number.

Look, if you don't like those filmmakers, that's fine, but don't use false claims. It makes you look either completely incompetent for failing to make an informed argument, or just a time-wasting liar. Given your posting history, it's not hard to lean toward the latter.

People enjoy reading! People have imagination! People can hear other people's stories and use their creativity and ability to make their own!

I have italicized the words that you may need to look up.

My goodness, what an insular, ignorant way of looking at things. By your logic, Citizen Kane is crap because a pompous guy in his mid-twenties made it.

Sorry if you like 'em.
Sorry that all you seem to do here is troll. Take that shit to the IMDb boards.
Old 02-26-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I'm curious as to who you think should make movies like The Fountain or Magnolia, and has the life experiences to back them up.
Absolutely nobody should make films like MAGNOLIA.
Old 02-26-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Absolutely nobody should make films like MAGNOLIA.
Yeah, they should only make movies with a naked Megan Fox.
Old 02-26-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Well you know the saying "if you're 18 and republican you don't have a heart, but if you're 30 and a democrat you don't have a brain." Sort of the same thing here.

Anderson and Aronofski have never done anything outside of being born rich, growing up hanging around with Hollywood assholes and pretending to be great artists making their crap movies.

Sorry if you like 'em.
I'd hate to see the list of great directors working today that you'd list. Hilarious post, though.
Old 02-26-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Georges Melies.

I've outgrown him. Anyone who appreciates his work must be under 25.
You're cruel...you're so cruel.
Old 02-26-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I totally disagree. Tarantino, PT Anderson, Fincher and Aronofsky are some of the best guys working today. Inglorious Basterds, There Will Be Blood, The Social Network, and Black Swan -- are all fucking amazing.
Absolutely. Fincher's films are not what I would consider meaningless. He puts as much effort into his films as anyone, and has a great attention to detail. Zodiac is an absolute masterpiece.
Old 02-26-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yeah, they should only make movies with a naked Megan Fox.
Just make sure they mask her toe-thumbs.
Old 02-26-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

James Cameron
George Lucas
Steven Spielberg
Old 02-28-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

For me it has to be Tarantino. It all started so well with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I did like Jackie Brown, but started to feel i needed more growth and not just trying to recapture 1000 movies he has already seen in his own movie. Kill Bill 1 and 2 did very little for me. The best part being the animated section for me. Four Rooms....well forget that POS. Death Proof is one of the worst movies ever made. He should never be allowed to make another movie simply due to this. And Inglorious Bastards....well i was excited for this knowing that he is a big fan of one of my all time favourite movies (Where Eagles Dare) and thought he might try and recapture that. Well it was a joke of a movie and i found it boring as all hell. At this point i could not care what he does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.