Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Machete Kills - Robert Rodriguez, Danny Trejo

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Machete Kills - Robert Rodriguez, Danny Trejo

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Re: Machete Kills - Robert Rodriguez, Danny Trejo

Solid Snake PAC's internet must be down. I thought he'd be blowing his load all over this thread by now.
Old 02-07-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

He's too buys secretly raging against the Expendable 2 being PG-13 whilst simultaneously try to prove his theory about crazychris.
Old 02-07-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Machete was a blast. Then again, I was with a huge crowd at a midnight premiere and was pretty drunk...but I still thought it was a really fun movie.
Old 02-07-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He's too buys secretly raging against the Expendable 2 being PG-13 whilst simultaneously try to prove his theory about crazychris.
Knowing your post was about Snake, I read this as "raping" at first.
Old 02-07-12, 05:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I thought machete was more than decent and RR's best is hands down Sin City.
Old 02-07-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice. Maybe they'll get Al Pacino for this one...

Spoiler:
as Senator John McLaughlin's brother who avenges his death.

There's your hook.
Old 02-07-12, 05:45 PM
Banned

This should've just stayed a fake trailer. None of this shit is going to ever be better than that one fake trailer.
Old 02-07-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I liked Machete in the theater. I saw it about a week after its opening, but it was a late night show and I was with a small but devoted audience.
Old 02-07-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I think Machete would have worked better if it was done in the "Grindhouse" style with dirt, scratches, jumping frames, have one reel be done with Spanish audio and no subtitles. Stuff like that.
Old 02-07-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fox would never have let that fly though
Old 02-07-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather they would make full-length movies of the other Grindhouse trailers than another Machete film.
Old 02-07-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
This should've just stayed a fake trailer. None of this shit is going to ever be better than that one fake trailer.
Can't argue with this...
Old 02-07-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

This is kind of getting to be like if you invited Rodriguez over for a party, and then he ends up living in your house for a few years.
Old 02-08-12, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno wtf is wrong w/ you people but Hobo was fucking great. Machete, while entertaining for the sake of it..but barely, lacked soooooo much.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Solid Snake PAC's internet must be down. I thought he'd be blowing his load all over this thread by now.
not really...it better be amazing...i won't own Machete. fucking loved the trailer..but....the movie? ehhhh...not so much.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm kind of ok w/ the rating on Ex2. it just better have better color timing and editing. Oh...and better action.

I still think crazychris is...THAT chris. He hasn't said that combination of words that would prove it....yet. I'm just waiting for it.
Old 02-08-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Knowing your post was about Snake, I read this as "raping" at first.
Old 02-08-12, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember when Rodriguez showed such promise as a filmmaker? Then came The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl and it's been a downhill ride. What the hell happened?
Old 02-08-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I still think crazychris is...THAT chris. He hasn't said that combination of words that would prove it....yet. I'm just waiting for it.

Pretty sure he knows he will be banned again if he says that combo of words...because then it will prove that it is him. Not that anymore proof is really needed.
Old 02-08-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

This is old but I gotta agree with it

http://www.splicetoday.com/moving-pi...bert-rodriguez

Somebody Please Stop Robert Rodriguez

Kevin Zimmerman

What will he fuck up next?

Not so long ago, an Austin-based filmmaking tyro named Robert Rodriguez burst upon the indie movie scene with El Mariachi,
a delirious, low-budget modern-day western whose title character—a wannabe musician—ends up in the thick of a revenge-driven
war against a violent drug kingpin thanks to a case of mistaken identity brought on by the accidental loss of his guitar case.

Even today, the contagious fun of the 81-minute feature, first released in 1992, is hard to resist, as its no-name cast gives it their all. The film put Rodriguez on the map as an important new voice in independent filmmaking, even if his claim that the whole thing cost just $7000 was exaggerated.

Following the lead of Quentin Tarantino (with whom, along with Anders and the long-gone Alexandre Rockwell, Rodriguez would make 1995’s disastrous Four Rooms), Rodriguez caught the self-mythologizing bug, penning the manifesto/tutorial Rebel without a Crew:
Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker with $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player.

This “Hollywood player” has since gifted us with 1995’s Desperado (essentially a big-budget remake of El Mariachi that’s enjoyable
for roughly its first half, until one realizes just how slavishly it’s copying the original); the dumb vampires-in-a-cantina epic From Dusk Till Dawn (written by and co-starring Tarantino); forgettable horror flick The Faculty; the diminishing-returns kiddie trilogy Spy Kids; Once Upon a Time in Mexico, allegedly the third in the “Mariachi trilogy,” which at least had both Johnny Depp and Mickey Rourke in its sprawling cast; another kids film, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3D, officially co-written by his seven-year-old son and unleashing future Twilight hunk Taylor Lautner upon the world; the surprisingly decent, if somewhat incoherent, Sin City; and the “Planet Terror” half of Grindhouse, where he and Tarantino vied to out-bore audiences with their salutes to the sticky-floored cinemas of their youth.

That only a couple of these efforts from the “Hollywood player” have succeeded at the box office—and even fewer caught favor
with critics overall—hasn’t stopped RoRo from plunging ahead with Machete (an expansion of one of Grindhouse’s fake trailers with a cast that somehow includes everyone from Robert DeNiro and Jessica Alba to Danny Trejo, Lindsay Lohan, and Steven Seagal), yet another Spy Kids, and Sin City 2—not to mention producing the reboots of Red Sonja and Predators.

Will most, if not all, of these movies suck? Yes. If RoRo’s career has taught us nothing else, it’s that handing him more than $7000
to make a movie is usually a grave mistake.

But Rodriguez trudges on. With Anders and Rockwell apparently sidelined, Tarantino off to ever grander things, Spike Lee in the midst
of another of his fallow periods (at least on the non-documentary side), and most indie studios struggling to survive, RoRo is for better and worse one of the most visible faces of independent filmmaking today. (One hesitates to call him an “auteur,” given the remake-heavy filmography and the handing off of screenwriting duties to his kids.)

And so we come to the announcement of his latest project. Just a few days after the death of famed fantasy artist Frank Frazetta, came word that Rodriguez plans to remake Fire and Ice, a largely ignored 1983 Frazetta collaboration with animator/director Ralph Bakshi.

As The AV Club noted in reporting the news, “It’s hard not to picture it as Sin City with swords and shit.”
Old 02-08-12, 11:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Old 02-08-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pizza
Remember when Rodriguez showed such promise as a filmmaker? Then came The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl and it's been a downhill ride. What the hell happened?
Taylor Lautner. He brought us that teenage-girl luring demon spawn and now he has to pay for it with his career.
Old 02-09-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86851

Sales Art for Robert Rodriguez's Machete Kills
Source: ComingSoon.net
February 9, 2012

It was announced earlier this week that Robert Rodriguez is planning an April shoot for Machete Kills, which will return Danny Trejo to the character he played in a fake trailer featured in Grindhouse and then the 2010 feature Machete. We now have a look at sales art that was made to promote the film at the European Film Market (EFM) in Berlin this week.

Rodriguez had announced last summer that Machete Kills was greenlit and will include a Grindhouse-style trailer for the third (at the moment fictional) entry in the "Machete" franchise, Machete Kills Again... In Space!.

The new film is said to have Machete teaming with the U.S. Government to take on a Mexican drug cartel and a James Bond-style villain who seeks world domination with a satellite weapon.

Machete Kills Again...In Space. lol Would be cool if he fights aliens on the moon.
Old 02-09-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Can't some people just accept that RR makes movies he likes for his fanboys alone and leave it at that (Spy Kids movies withstanding).
Old 02-09-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As mediocre as the first one was the sequels will be rentals.
Old 02-09-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Can't some people just accept that RR makes movies he likes for his fanboys alone and leave it at that (Spy Kids movies withstanding).
But I'm one of his fans, and I can honestly admit he's not doing it right.
Old 02-09-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RR is the new M. Night

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.