Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lincoln Lawyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Lincoln Lawyer

Matthew McConaughey plays Mick Haller, a defense lawyer whose nickname "The Lincoln Lawyer" comes from the black Lincoln that carts him around town. Haller gets involved in a case involving a rich momma's boy Louis Roulet (played by Ryan Phillippe) arrested for sexual assault. What appears to be a standard crminal defense case soon spirals into something bigger, and Haller finds himself in a dangerous and legal quandry, and it's quite fun to watch him try to wrangle free from the situations he finds himself in without risking disbarment or worse, bodily harm.

The supporting cast is solid, and the film's tone harkens back the 1970s for such a legal thriller. The final act has quite a few surprising LOL moments as Haller puts on a show, and it's quite entertaining and fun to watch.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 03-28-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The Lincoln Lawyer

Agree with Patman, it's nothing special but fills the legal-thriller element quite well and McConaughey was perfectly cast in the lead role. The supporting parts are also well done, though Phillippe basically plays the same smarmy character I've seen before, especially Cruel Intentions (before he developed a heart).

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.6/10, 3/4)
Old 03-28-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Good flick with solid acting all around.
Old 04-10-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Surprised there's only 3 posts about this. Saw this tonight and loved it. I thought the pacing was perfect, the soundtrack was killer, the acting top notch and it was a great story. McConaughey is a great talent, good to see him in something like this. Probably the best movie I've seen this year.
Old 04-11-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It looks like a good rental
Old 04-11-11, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really enjoyed it. The two hours flew (just like the book, easily knocked it out on a LAS - JFK flight) and McConaughey did a great job. I thought Phillippe was miscast (he got the role for being buddies with McConaughey) but walked away thinking he earned it.
Old 04-23-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Finally saw this today. Great film. Question, was William H. Macy's character gay? I couldn't hear what was said to explain the pictures of that one man all over his apartment.
Old 04-24-11, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Matthew McConaughey plays Mick Haller, a defense lawyer whose nickname "The Lincoln Lawyer" comes from the black Lincoln that carts him around town. Haller gets involved in a case involving a rich momma's boy Louis Roulet (played by Ryan Phillippe) arrested for sexual assault. What appears to be a standard crminal defense case soon spirals into something bigger, and Haller finds himself in a dangerous and legal quandry, and it's quite fun to watch him try to wrangle free from the situations he finds himself in without risking disbarment or worse, bodily harm.

The supporting cast is solid, and the film's tone harkens back the 1970s for such a legal thriller. The final act has quite a few surprising LOL moments as Haller puts on a show, and it's quite entertaining and fun to watch.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
It's about time Matthew McConaughey chose to do a thriller this time around, besides another horrendous romantic comedy, that's he's been making for the past few years. Maybe he's getting out of a rut.
Old 04-24-11, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe MM can do great stuff...I"m glad to hear that this recent film isn't shit.
Old 04-24-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
i believe MM can do great stuff...I"m glad to hear that this recent film isn't shit.
Amen. He was so great in "A Time to Kill", "Contact", "Amistad" and "Frailty" (and "Dazed and Confused" of course). The rest? Mostly crap to embarrassing.
Old 04-24-11, 01:06 AM
Banned

I honestly wouldn't mind speaking well about his work if he did great work occasionally. I mean, he seems like a great guy and if you're doing movies to just work...I guess that's fine but damnit...you're not a one trick pony, MM.
Old 04-24-11, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I honestly wouldn't mind speaking well about his work if he did great work occasionally. I mean, he seems like a great guy and if you're doing movies to just work...I guess that's fine but damnit...you're not a one trick pony, MM.
It's a miracle and Godsend he hasn't done a movie with Katherine Heigl. Yet.
Old 04-24-11, 02:49 AM
Banned

...i got nervous and checked out his wikipedia page JUST in case he had a Heigel film going on...

checked IMDB too...nothing like that...

ANYWAY...I did find this...

film is called Bernie and is directed by Linklater, has Jack Black and CcConaughey in it...

Local mortician Bernie Tiede (Black) befriends a rich widow (MacLaine) in a small Texas town. He murders her for her money, but no one misses her for months until the local district attorney (McConaughey) begins to investigate.

also found this..

Director:
William Friedkin
Writers:Tracy Letts (play), Tracy Letts (screenplay)
Stars:Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch and Thomas Haden Church

Killer Joe-
When a debt puts a young man's life in danger, he turns to putting a hit out on his evil mother in order to collect the insurance.
Old 07-03-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Good movie, I was pleasantly surprised it lived up to its positive reviews. Great acting and script. Maybe it's just me, but I like a good courtroom flick. The ending felt a bit forced though, like the director/producers realized "oh shit we better find a way to end it here or the run time will be too long".

This also shows that McConaughey is a very capable actor when he's not doing stupid rom-coms.
Old 07-03-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a fluffy mass market thriller, but with a great cast giving good performances, a fast pace, and good direction I enjoyed it.

He makes choices about work and payday over artistic merit, but I have always liked MM. He has a charisma about him, and he can act when he's in the right film. He delivers here.
Old 07-24-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this today and enjoyed it. I love court room dramas and this one was above average. Had a good cast and good performances. I also agree that they sort of wrapped up things quickly in the last 15 minutes.
Old 07-24-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The ending felt a bit forced though, like the director/producers realized "oh shit we better find a way to end it here or the run time will be too long".
FWIW, that's how the book ends, too. I liked the movie. When reading the book I didn't really picture a guy like Matthew McConaughey playing the part, but he did a good job.
Old 07-24-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Never read the book but enjoyed the movie. The performances are what really made it watchable, however.
Old 07-24-11, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Saw this and enjoyed it. I love court room dramas and this one was above average. Had a good cast and good performances.
Old 07-25-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just finished watching this based on the recommendation of a coworker. I enjoyed it. I've always been a fan of McConaughey though, so I'm a bit biased.
Old 08-27-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy suggested I catch this and I really enjoyed it. McConaughey gets a bad rap but he's great in some things. I thought he was outstanding in this.

Felt a lot like Fracture to me. I really liked that one too.
Old 01-26-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Caught this on Epix HD last week. I initially had no interest in seeing it, but I heard good things and decided to give it a shot. I thought it was a solid film with some great performances. Nothing I'd ever purchase, but I'm glad to have watched it. McConaughey hasn't done anything of interest to me in a while, so it was good to see him back in a role I could enjoy. I liked that the film kept you guessing despite plainly laying out much of the mystery early on.