Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie moments you just noticed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie moments you just noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movie moments you just noticed

in Pulp Fiction
Spoiler:
in the scene where Jules and Vincent shoot the Jerry Seinfeld lookalike, the bullets before the shots fired. continuity gaffe or Jules's 'divine intervention' theory
Old 02-11-15, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You're right. The fuck was I thinking?!

2 is also pretty awful.
Its a dreadful movie. The other two i actually like....with the exception of Julia Roberts. If i ever see her ugly phizog on the TV i immediately want to smash it to pieces.
Old 02-11-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Eyes Wide Shut takes place during Christmas, and there are numerous examples of a Christmas decoration of a tinsel garland with two giant tinsel candles. But in the last scene in the toy store, the garland has a giant wreath. There is also a display of board games called The Magic Circle, circular K'nex toys, pictures frames for six circular portraits, and lots of circular architectural details.
Old 02-11-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
In Ghostbusters

Spoiler:
watch Egon in this scene

Really? That's what makes the whole scene. Thought it was pretty obvious.
Old 02-11-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I've seen that movie a million times and never noticed that. I've always just looked at Murray.
Old 02-11-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

A couple that were pointed out to me by others after I'd seen the movies and never noticed.

The Mist
Spoiler:
The crazy Bible thumping woman played played by Marcia Gay Harden was actually right about killing the boy. As soon as the boy was dead they were saved

How to Train Your Dragon
Spoiler:
the connection between Hiccup and Toothless becomes stronger when I realized that they both had left appendages that were missing. Toothless' tail and Hiccup's foot.
Old 02-11-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
A couple that were pointed out to me by others after I'd seen the movies and never noticed.

The Mist
Spoiler:
The crazy Bible thumping woman played played by Marcia Gay Harden was actually right about killing the boy. As soon as the boy was dead they were saved
Actually...

Spoiler:
I'm fairly certain every prediction she makes in the movie comes to pass, including the one you mentioned.
Old 02-12-15, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Eyes Wide Shut takes place during Christmas, But in the last scene in the toy store, a display of board games called The Magic Circle, circular K'nex toys, pictures frames for six circular portraits, and lots of circular architectural details.
knowing how big Kubrick was in regards to attention to detail, this was all intentional & not a happy accident
Old 02-12-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I've seen that movie a million times and never noticed that. I've always just looked at Murray.
Heh, watched GB several dozen times, and never saw that, either...
Old 02-12-15, 12:16 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I just noticed that there was a movie between the opening and end credits of "Transformers: Age of Extinction." I had to watch it while wearing a straitjacket and a bite block, but lo and behold, there was something resembling "film" there.
Old 02-12-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I grew up with the VHS, I blame pan & scan
Old 02-12-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

In Reservoir Dogs, when the cop's ear is about to cut off the camera pans away and on the wall it says "watch your head". Pretty ghoulish, Tarantino.
Old 02-13-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see this until I had seen Citizen Kane several times. In the scene where Kane's mother (Agnes Moorehead) is making arrangements for Charles Foster Kane's future, the camera dollies backwards very quickly, and we see that it has (seemingly) glided over the top of a table that comes into view as the camera moves back. If you look closely, you can see a vase on the table wobbling slightly - the camera didn't move over the top of the table, the table was off to the side and was pushed quickly into the scene as the camera moved past. The wobbling vase gives away the trick. (I don't know why the vase wasn't fastened to the table; maybe Welles wanted there to be a giveaway to the sleight-of-hand??)
Old 02-13-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

A friend pointed this one out to me: at the 10:30 mark, when Michael Caine opens the door for the pickpocket, you see his right hand untucking his watch chain from his vest to create the illusion the boy just stole it from him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-oBBywRfHvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-13-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Am I missing something, or are we talking about Egon holding up 4 fingers then 1 finger to give Venkman the pricing? I always thought it was rather obvious as well, especially with Bill Murray looking directly at Harold Ramis.
If that is not what you are referring to, then I am definitely missing it.
Old 02-13-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I think what they're referring to is the very real reaction Harold Ramis is having to the smoke in the two wide shots at the beginning and the end. It's making him sick and he looks like he's struggling to stay in character.
Old 02-13-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Am I missing something, or are we talking about Egon holding up 4 fingers then 1 finger to give Venkman the pricing? I always thought it was rather obvious as well, especially with Bill Murray looking directly at Harold Ramis.
Yep, that's it. Never noticed the fingers. It's a combination of also growing up watching it P&S and always looking at Murray during that scene.

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I saw Christmas Vacation 1000 time and never noticed until someone pointed out to me, in WalMart when Clark and Eddie are shopping, Clark buys light bulbs then Eddie drops the dog food on them breaking them.
Then I see something like this and I've never not noticed that. It's such an obvious bit. Point being, sometimes people notice these things and sometimes they don't.
Old 02-13-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That was it and either a lot of us saw it on VHS or TV and dealt with a pan & scan transfer that cut the joke off. Or we were so busy listening to Murray that we failed to see the sight gag. Or both.

I know I missed it until now.
Old 02-13-15, 05:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

speaking about 'Ghostbusters' I never noticed the non-sensical hysterical line from Ray til recently rewatching it:

"Listen... do you smell something?"
Old 02-21-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Just re-watched the original Tron last night and noticed for the first time that when the trio breaks into Encom and Alan goes to his cubicle to login, he has Kaltuu Barada Nikto on the wall next to him. I am sure everyone recognizes the line from the Day the Earth Stood Still and the words used to stop the Robot/Machine. I guess its a clear predictor of the guy who will stop the MCP in the movie.
Old 02-21-15, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

same here!
Old 02-21-15, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. Ever since I got the SE DVD, I've always noticed Egon do that.
Old 02-21-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I didn't see this until I had seen Citizen Kane several times. In the scene where Kane's mother (Agnes Moorehead) is making arrangements for Charles Foster Kane's future, the camera dollies backwards very quickly, and we see that it has (seemingly) glided over the top of a table that comes into view as the camera moves back. If you look closely, you can see a vase on the table wobbling slightly - the camera didn't move over the top of the table, the table was off to the side and was pushed quickly into the scene as the camera moved past. The wobbling vase gives away the trick. (I don't know why the vase wasn't fastened to the table; maybe Welles wanted there to be a giveaway to the sleight-of-hand??)
In Ebert's commentary he discusses that move and a number of other effects shots. There's also a pterodactyl flying in the background of one scene in Xanadau since they used stock footage from a monster movie I believe.
Old 02-21-15, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What? A pterodactyl?
Old 02-21-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What? A pterodactyl?
Yeah it's in the way background flying in slow motion so it looks like a bird. I think it was taken from Son of King of one of those island movies. I'm on mobile but this vid points them out (there are a few flying around):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0QyRksgacik

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.