Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
I'm a Tintin fan and loved it
15.38%
I'm a Tintin fan and liked it
7.69%
I'm a Tintin fan and was disappointed
11.54%
I'm a Tintin fan and think the trailer looks like crap--no interest in seeing it
3.85%
I'm a Tintin fan but will wait for download, stream, or optical media
0%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and loved it
23.08%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and liked it
9.62%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and was underwhelmed
15.38%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and think the trailer looks like crap--no interest
11.54%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and will wait for download, stream, or optical media
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giles
I had to explain to my 8-year old niece what sober meant
When your own kid has never known you sober, you may have a problem...

I thought the 3D was great and visuals were wonderful, but I was definitely getting antsy waiting for it to end. At least made for a better adventure follow-up than Crystal Skull!
Old 12-29-11, 04:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a huge Tintin fan, but this was a mess. Action scene one after another after another, and with some really pointless expository dialogue scenes - something felt lacking - very disappointed.
Having just re-read several of the comics in anticipation of the film, I think your criticisms can easily apply to the original books as well. But it's the sense of fun and adventure that draws you in, both in the original Herge works and this film.
Old 12-31-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having not read much Tintin in my youth, I went in pretty much not knowing much about Tintin, his dog, or the 2 investigators, Thompson and Thompson. So I think the script doesn't quite do their introductions to a new audience much favor in the film, but even with the quick visual cues of Tintin's past adventures, and his journalistic zest for uncovering mysteries. But once the films gets going, you could tell Spielberg was having a ball with being able to move the camera's eye all over the place in an animated CGI film environment, which produce quite a few thrilling sequences through the film's plotline.

I think some of the "Uncanny Valley" aspects of CGI animated characters still persists, but mainly for Tintin himself, but for the rest of the characters with more exaggerated features, the animation works well. There's just something with the eyes that doesn't always seem believable to me, but it's a very small quibble, as the rest of the visual work and mo-cap by the actors exhibited in the film is quite appealing.

Plot-wise, it's a hodge-podge of dramatic adventure film-making relying on more of the flashier camera movement than the actual plotline itself, lots of flash, not as much substance.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 01-01-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's a shame this appears to be bombing, as I'd love to see more installments.
It is? That's too bad, as it's a great time in the theater for kids and adults. I grew up reading the books, and they did as well as they could adapting it.
Old 01-05-12, 01:03 AM

I saw this in 3-D "fake-IMAX" this morning. I dozed off for a few minutes midway. Never read any Tintin stories before, so I have no opinions on how well the material was adapted.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if

A) it wasn't in 3-D;

B) it wasn't in IMAX--I found myself distracted by the detail ("oh look, the lens on the telescope rolling around on that table is reflecting the other things on the table! Wait, why am I more interested in that than I am in Tintin?"). I'm not an IMAX-hater--I'm still raving about MI: Ghost Protocol in IMAX, but for me Tintin just didn't seem to benefit from it.

and C) if it wasn't photo-realistic CGI. If you're going to make a cartoon, then make a cartoon! If you want to make it look real, then hire some human actors and just film them already! I was unable to form an emotional attachment to Tintin, and kept wondering why the other characters had cartoon-like features/proportions in the middle of all this realism.

Yes, the dazzling action set-pieces were dazzling and at some point I may want to revisit them, but overall I was underwhelmed. At least the John Williams score was better than I expected based on some early reviews. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the movie for me, but then I am a film score nut.

Hoping WAR HORSE will be better.
Old 01-05-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I caught it in IMAX 3D this morning and I liked it a lot. Hopefully the film's international performance can help move traction for a sequel. Alongside the fact, that you know, Jackson and Spielberg are behind this franchise.

Pros:
  • Zemeckis should just grab a gun, place it inside of his mouth and pull the trigger. How did he get away making five films using motion capture technology (The Polar Express, Beowulf, Monster House, A Christmas Carol and Mars Needs Moms) and not a single one can hold a candle to the photo realism that Jackson and Spielberg were able to achieve? Hell, Cars 2 had more photo realistic moments than the Zemeckis productions. Now while the technology is still in its infancy, they did an amazing job of capturing the feel of what Tintin would look like in real-life. For example, Tintin and Haddock's first encounter looked as it was shot using real actors.
  • I loved all of the in-jokes and references to the Tintin universe.
  • The action set pieces were phenomenal, especially the motorcycle chase that all takes place within a single shot.
  • The 3D was impressive alongside alongside all of the attention to detail. It's worth seeing in IMAX 3D for that alone.

Cons:
  • While the motion capture technology is still in its infancy, there are still some cringe-worthy moments amongst the greatness. Most of these cringe-worthy moments either involve Tintin or Thomson and Thompson.
  • Despite only running 105 minutes, the film feels clunky as it moves from set piece to set piece. The third act is the biggest offender on this note as the film ends very anticlimactically. The film could've easily have shaved off ten minutes to help prevent this feeling.
  • I'll agree with the majority as Williams' score is very underwhelming. I was hoping for a score similar in tone to Raiders of the Lost Ark and got the action equivalent of Catch Me If You Can.
Old 01-07-12, 04:05 PM
Banned

SO i ended up seeing this today. Twas free. Had a ticket to Sherlock II and saw this instead. I swear I went in with a positive attitude. And I was even diggin it for a while actually. Thought that the animation was the best motion captured animation in a fully motion captured film I have seen ( even though it was awfully inconsistent...Some characters looked realistic. Some were rather cartoonish caricatures.) Was enjoying the humor and Snowy and the look.

Anyways, once haddock showed up the film completely lost me. Boring absolutely horrendous plot. Even fell asleep I shit you not during the fight between Haddock and the character Daniel Craig voiced.

One of the most boring things I have seen in a theater since Immortals. Ugh. Easily Spielbergs worst film he has ever directed without one doubt. There is nothing even close to this turd in Speilbergs canon.
Old 01-07-12, 04:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
SO i ended up seeing this today. Twas free. Had a ticket to Sherlock II and saw this instead. I swear I went in with a positive attitude. And I was even diggin it for a while actually. Thought that the animation was the best motion captured animation in a fully motion captured film I have seen ( even though it was awfully inconsistent...Some characters looked realistic. Some were rather cartoonish caricatures.) Was enjoying the humor and Snowy and the look.

Anyways, once haddock showed up the film completely lost me. Boring absolutely horrendous plot. Even fell asleep I shit you not during the fight between Haddock and the character Daniel Craig voiced.

One of the most boring things I have seen in a theater since Immortals. Ugh. Easily Spielbergs worst film he has ever directed without one doubt. There is nothing even close to this turd in Speilbergs canon.
what not Hook?
Old 01-07-12, 04:20 PM
Banned

what not Hook?
Sir, I would rank Hook amongst his better half of his films. Love, love , love that film. Much more so than E.T. or even Raiders.
Old 01-07-12, 04:35 PM

Sir, I would rank Hook amongst his better half of his films. Love, love , love that film. Much more so than E.T. or even Raiders.
bite your tongue!

(everyone's entitled to their my... er, own opinion)
Old 01-08-12, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care how much you enjoy Hook. There's no fucking way in hell it's better than Raiders. And Raiders isn't even my favorite Spielberg flick.
Old 01-08-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I give you credit for seeing it and reporting back, sir
Old 01-08-12, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I don't care how much you enjoy Hook. There's no fucking way in hell it's better than Raiders. And Raiders isn't even my favorite Spielberg flick.
Maybe I should clarify.. . I ENJOY Hook more than I enjoy Raiders. I like the pace and structure of Hook more and I find it more enjoyable but I would indeed be forced to admit Raiders is the Better film.

But I would also say that Last Crusade is not only the BEST INDY film but one of Spielberg's top 6 or 7 films.
Old 01-08-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw it last night and liked it a lot. I never was the biggest Tin Tin fan but I watched the series as a kid and think I may have read some of the comics though. I thought this was fun adventure film though and had an enjoyable story. I didn't really want it to end and the semi cliffhanger ending sorta surprised me as I thought the story would wrap itself up. The only thing I found kind of weak in the film was the 3D as I didn't really notice much of anything at all really. I'd definitely like to see more adventures and hope a sequel is made. Will pick this up on Blu-ray for sure when it's out.
Old 01-09-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Saw it last night and liked it a lot. I never was the biggest Tin Tin fan but I watched the series as a kid and think I may have read some of the comics though. I thought this was fun adventure film though and had an enjoyable story. I didn't really want it to end and the semi cliffhanger ending sorta surprised me as I thought the story would wrap itself up. The only thing I found kind of weak in the film was the 3D as I didn't really notice much of anything at all really. I'd definitely like to see more adventures and hope a sequel is made. Will pick this up on Blu-ray for sure when it's out.
From what I remember when first reading about Tintin, they wanted to make 3 movies, one directed by Spielberg, one by Jackson and im not sure about the third. I guess thats why the semi cliffhanger didnt surprise me as much.

I Saw this movie over the weekend and enjoyed it, though it did kind of chug along from act to act. Overall I though this was a great adventure film and cant wait for the next one.
Old 01-09-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash
From what I remember when first reading about Tintin, they wanted to make 3 movies, one directed by Spielberg, one by Jackson and im not sure about the third.
A 3rd one from Edgar Wright would be awesome!
Old 01-09-12, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd dig that.
Old 01-10-12, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
I saw it in 3-D and in IMAX 3-D and I was kind of hoping for more from the IMAX. Our science center has two IMAX screens, and the huge one was showing MI4 so we got the smaller one--not as awesome as it could have been. There was one really obvious 3-D showoff, when the villain waggled his cane at the camera.

As far as the story, the way they were mashing and rearranging the stories, I also thought they might wrap everything up in this movie. If they do a sequel to wrap that up, I'm not sure what they'd do to fill the rest out--just pick another random story I guess that they could tack on. Like they'll look for the treasure then take a side voyage to find a shooting star or something.
Old 01-10-12, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I saw it in 3-D and in IMAX 3-D and I was kind of hoping for more from the IMAX. Our science center has two IMAX screens, and the huge one was showing MI4 so we got the smaller one--not as awesome as it could have been. There was one really obvious 3-D showoff, when the villain waggled his cane at the camera.

As far as the story, the way they were mashing and rearranging the stories, I also thought they might wrap everything up in this movie. If they do a sequel to wrap that up, I'm not sure what they'd do to fill the rest out--just pick another random story I guess that they could tack on. Like they'll look for the treasure then take a side voyage to find a shooting star or something.
question: the Pacific Science Center's PACCAR IMAX Theater is IMAX-Digital - right? (The other larger screen in obviousily IMAX 15/70)
Old 01-23-12, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally got to see this recently, in 2D and non-IMAX and really, really liked it. One of the better adventure movies I've seen in a while, and much better than Indy 4 in almost every aspect.

The movie did drag a bit near the middle, and it was anti-climactic, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm not that familiar with Tintin, as I usually read other European comic books (Asterix, Lucky Luke).
Old 01-23-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I can't vote because I'm neither a fan nor don't know much about Tintin. There isn't a middle-ground.

Anyway, I enjoyed it
So I should have added five new poll options for "I am familiar with Tintin but don't like it and..."

question: the Pacific Science Center's PACCAR IMAX Theater is IMAX-Digital - right? (The other larger screen in obviousily IMAX 15/70)
Sorry, I read your question, didn't find a quick answer on their site, and forgot to come back and answer. I'm not positive about the standard--it was renovated last year and is 35' x 60', and seems better than our new Regal IMAX, which I've always turned up my nose at--but not as good as the big theater. Probably IMAX digital.

Originally Posted by The Bus
Finally got to see this recently, in 2D and non-IMAX and really, really liked it. One of the better adventure movies I've seen in a while, and much better than Indy 4 in almost every aspect.

The movie did drag a bit near the middle, and it was anti-climactic, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm not that familiar with Tintin, as I usually read other European comic books (Asterix, Lucky Luke).
It's funny because I always expect Tintin readers and Asterix readers are one and the same, though why should I, when I myself have read all the Tintins numerous times and only a few of the Asterix--which I like but don't love. Lucky Luke is something I keep seeing but haven't jumped into yet.
Old 01-23-12, 08:39 PM
Banned

You need a 'I Know Everything About Tin Tin and Thought the Movie Flat-Out Sucked' Option.
Old 01-23-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nah, a little too granular, plus a know-it-all would spell the name correctly
Old 01-24-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is missing a choice.

I know Tintin, am not much of a fan and it was ok.

That's my choice. I just don't think I'm on the same wavelength with Tintin. I didn't love the books when I read them a few years ago and while I enjoyed the movie, I didn't love it. I was a bit underwhelmed frankly.
Old 01-30-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, in retrospect I would have used "am a fan of or familiar with Tintin" as the first set of options. Really just wanted to take the temperature of those who knew the character vs. those who didn't.

The tally regardless of knowledge:

18 Loved
7 Liked
10 Didn't like
6 No interest
1 Will wait

Also, this was just posted by the Tintin facebook page, but based on the comments it was first live in late October. Other than saying that Jackson would direct a second installment ("Of course all this is conditional on minor details like box-office takings and the like"), it really doesn't say much about what a movie would be--it just looks at the original books and makes predictions. Not of much interest, but I was bumping the thread anyway....

http://www.empireonline.com/features...ngs-to-expect/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.