Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartley)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartley)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartle

Watched the film last night, and the deleted scenes and trailers. Now I have a checklist of Cannon films I have missed

I thought it was well done, and really showed me how some of my favorite films growing up were Cannon. Even in those teen years with Lady Chatterley

I didn't realize Breakin was so big, after always hearing EB being made fun of. I also liked how Nu Image mentioned they are using the Cannon model today with Expendables and Olympus has Fallen.

I think Dudikoff got decent coverage. They at least had him in the interviews, while JCVD was not. And 10 to Midnight and Bloodsport were on the deleted scenes.

Now the question I have, what is the ultimate Cannon film that best represents the company? I'm going to say Death Wish 3 or The Delta Force.
Old 10-03-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartle

I just finished the DVD last night as well. Very well made documentary overall. Brought back a lot of memories. I would say the main thing I got out of it was that Golan and Globus ran the company into the ground. Cannon was essentially an Indie film company and they were running it like the mindset of a major film studio and spent money they didn't have. They made more shitty movies than decent ones.

I was at the segment that showed The Delta Force having a huge movie premiere party at their offices in the parking lot.

Funny how the Delta Force was made as a reactionary hoo-rah pro America film to the TWA hijacking back in the 80s. They talked to the co-writer James Bruner and he said they were actually going to send him to Beirut when the hijacking was still on to take notes for the script.

I agree with Stinger, they gave Dudikoff a decent amount of coverage and new interviews. Disappointed that they couldn't talk to Norris since he was a huge part of the company back in the 80s. They only showed archived interviews with him. I'm guessing Norris now in his mid 70s is probably trying to distance himself from his past. I know he has 2 young kids and is kind of a born again Christian.
Old 10-04-15, 06:27 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's interesting to see the movies which could have been made but weren't

To me American Ninja will always be the defining cannon film but for most i would say Delta Force

The Go go boys documentary is available, if you know where to look, it 'kicksass'
Old 10-04-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Now the question I have, what is the ultimate Cannon film that best represents the company? I'm going to say Death Wish 3 or The Delta Force.
DELTA FORCE is more representative of Cannon's quantifiable successes, which were few (although I suspect for many folks, that film and the other "big" productions ARE Cannon in a nutshell). DEATH WISH 3 is probably a better example to the near-constant but utterly compelling wrong-headedness of most of what they churned out. Personally, I'd nominate NINJA III: THE DOMINATION. Gets a fun roasting in the doc, too. Close second: THE APPLE.

http://www.avclub.com/article/my-yea...e-applei-10385
Old 10-10-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I got my copy in the mail, and watched it today. I have never seen most of these movies, except for a few Chuck Norris movies on VHS in the 80s, but dont remember what they were. Holy Shit I have alot of movies to watch now. The Death Wish movies look amazing since it sounds like all Charles Bronson does is shoot people. Also the ninja movies, and some of their skin flicks. Can anyone suggest some good Cannon movies to start watching if I am new to them?
Old 10-10-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I got my copy in the mail, and watched it today. I have never seen most of these movies, except for a few Chuck Norris movies on VHS in the 80s, but dont remember what they were. Holy Shit I have alot of movies to watch now. The Death Wish movies look amazing since it sounds like all Charles Bronson does is shoot people. Also the ninja movies, and some of their skin flicks. Can anyone suggest some good Cannon movies to start watching if I am new to them?
Chuck Norris:
The Delta Force
Invasion USA
Delta Force 2
Missing in Action 1 and 2
Hero and the Terror
The Hitman
Hellbound (just for the comedy value. It's Chuck Norris fighting Satan. I kid you not)

Charles Bronson:
Death Wish II through IV (Part I is not Cannon)
10 to Midnight
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects
Murphy's Law
Assassination (although it's PG-13)

American Ninja 1 through 4 (don't bother with 5)

Cobra

Runaway Train

Avenging Force

Ninja I though III

Van Damme:
Bloodsport
Kickboxer
Old 10-10-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are any of those on Netflix?
Old 10-11-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by DvdClon
It's mentioned that Golan-Globus did their own doc called The Go-Go Boys: The Inside Story of Cannon Films. Is there any word only whether it will get a release on disc?
The only copy I have seen so far is a French import DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Go-Go-Bo.../dp/B00U9GN0MU
Old 10-11-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I'm hoping to see Boogaloo this week, but I did see Go-Go Boys earlier this year. It was more about the men than their movies. So fewer clips, more interviews.
Old 10-11-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Are any of those on Netflix?
Only Delta Force, Hero and the Terror and Kickboxer

Death Wish II was recently pulled after it's license expired. It was the Unrated version with more graphic violence. The BD that is currently out is the cut R rated version.
Old 10-24-15, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this on dvd at Walmart for $5.00 for anyone here who doesnt have it yet. I got to watch Death Wish 3, quite possibly one of the greatest movies ever made. I wish Charles Bronson was still alive, Hollywood needs actors like him around.
Old 11-29-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

FYI, this is now available on Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/title/80018991

If you didn't purchase the DVD, here's your chance to finally see it.
Old 11-29-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I completely forgot that 10-Disc Cannon Films set has Electric Boogaloo on it.

Saw it at Best Buy the other day for $39.99
Old 11-30-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bump

FYI, this is now available on Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/title/80018991

If you didn't purchase the DVD, here's your chance to finally see it.
Checked it out before I went to bed last night. I really had no idea what went on in their early years (Before they went action-crazy) so I was surprised by all the sex flicks they did.

Now need to see:
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bolero
Wicked Lady
Old 12-01-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I watched my BD the other day (it took forever to come from Germany) and loved it. A very fun documentary and made me wish for a giant BD Cannon set.

Anyone here seen the competing documentary called The Go-Go Boys?
Old 12-03-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched this today. Oh man, what a ride. I totally want to see The Apple now. Very entertaining doc.

Edit: oh shit, The Apple is on Amazon Prime!
Old 12-03-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watched my BD the other day (it took forever to come from Germany) and loved it. A very fun documentary and made me wish for a giant BD Cannon set.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 12-05-15, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Looks like Invasion U.S.A. is coming to Blu-Ray next year!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...&creative=9325
Old 12-05-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm watching this on Netflix right now. I am proud to say that I have watched most of these movies during the early 80's with SelecTV, The Movie Channel, HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. We had the old parabolic antenna. Great times.
Old 04-16-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

A new region free BD was just released in Australia.

The director of the movie is Australian. There is a lot of extras on it. Also includes another movie from the same director.

Here's a review of the new BD with details on the extras:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=4684

"Electric Boogaloo" Extras

- Deleted & Extended Scenes (37:22)
With hours and hours of interview footage shot around the world, a selection is provided here in both extended interviews and completely deleted segments. It was a little strange to think that Van Damme’s “Bloodsport” got no mention in the film, but it is presented in the deleted scenes along with a few more notable films.

The complete list of chapters are:
Michael Winner Profile (extended), “10 to Midnight” deleted sequence, “Grace Quigley” deleted sequence, Arthouse Films - extended sequence, “Tough Guys Don’t Dance” deleted sequence, “Firewalker” deleted sequence, development of “Spider-Man” movie deleted sequence, “Street Smart” deleted sequence, “Bloodsport” deleted sequence, “Captain America” deleted sequence, “Treasure of the Four Crowns” deleted sequence, Menahem Golan impersonations, Mark’s t-shirt collection, and Roy and John read their favourite critique.
in 480i MPEG-2, in 1.78:1, in English Dolby Digital 2.0 with no subtitles

- Michael Dudikoff Extended Interview (12:33)
The star of “American Ninja” gives a little more information on his discovery and eventual brushing aside by Cannon.

- "A Word with Frank Yablans" featurette (4:07)
Screenwriter Frank Yablans gives a no-holds-barred interview on Cannon where he has nothing positive to say about Goran and Globus, and admits that he wishes that he had something positive to mention. Yablans died in 2014 at the age of 79.

- Cannon Films trailer reel (107:51)
With an amazing roster of crazy films in their library, here is a sampling of the work by Cannon throughout the years. The trailers come from a variety of sources with some being pretty good and some looking quite awful in picture and sound quality.

The full list of trailers are as follows:
“Inga”, “Joe”, “Maid in Sweden”, “The Blood on Satan’s Claw”, “Hot T-Shirts”, “The Apple”, “Schizoid”, “New Years Evil”, “Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood”, “Lady Chatterley’s Lover”, “Body and Soul”, “Enter the Ninja”, “That Championship Season”, “The Last American Virgin”, “Death Wish II”, “Wicked Lady”, “Revenge of the Ninja”, “Hercules”, “10 to Midnight”, “Treasure of the Four Crowns”, “Breakin’”, “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo”, “Making the Grade”, “The Ambassador”, “The Naked Face”, “Sword of the Valiant”, “Bolero”, “Maria’s Lovers”, “Missing in Action 2: The Beginning”, “Mata Hari”, “Hercules II: The Adventures of Hercules”, “Lifeforce”, “King Solomon’s Mines”, “Death Wish 3”, “American Ninja” (as “American Warrior”), “Invasion USA”, “Runaway Train”, “Firewalker”, “Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold”, “Invaders from Mars”, “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2”, “The Delta Force”, “52 Pick-Up”, “Cobra”, “American Ninja 2: The Confrontation”, “Assassination”, “Street Smart”, “Superman IV: The Quest for Peace”, “Masters of the Universe”, “Over the Top”, “Death Wish 4: The Crackdown”, “Tough Guys Don’t Dance”, “Alien from L.A.”, “Messenger of Death”, “Salsa”, “American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt”, “Sinbad of the Seven Seas”, “Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects”, “Cyborg”, “Lambada”
in 480i MPEG-2, in various aspect ratios, in English Dolby Digital 2.0 with no subtitles

- TIFF Red Carpet Report (6:17)
Rovert A. Mitchell interviews Mark Hartley, Robin Sherwood and Richard Kraft on the red carpet at the Torinto International Film Festival.

- Variety Studio Interview with Brett Ratner & Mark Hartley (5:20)
Brett Ratner and Mark Hartley give an on stage interview for the press. They talk about Ratner’s involvement in getting the rights to use the film clips and vintage materials from MGM, and some of the more outrageous stunts by Cannon such as making fake film posters for sales.

- UK Press Interview (4:33)
An on camera interview with Mark Hartley, he gives a brief summary of Cannon and comments on his favorite Cannon films.

- Cannon Films Poster & Stills Gallery (18:47)
A very large gallery of posters and ads for Cannon titles throughout the years, and in addition includes the movie posters that were made but the films were never made such as “Pinocchio the Robot” and “Superman V”.
in 480i MPEG-2, in 1.78:1, Music Dolby Digital 2.0

- Behind the Scenes Gallery (6:25)
A collection of interview stills, travel shots, film festivals, and posters.
in 480i MPEG-2, in 1.78:1, Music Dolby Digital 2.0

- Theatrical Trailer (2:18)
The original trailer is presented here, and in HD!
in 1080p AVC MPEG-4, in 1.78:1, in English Dolby Digital 2.0 with no subtitles

It's available on this Australian retailer for $24.98 AU

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...aidens/349801/

It's also available on the distributor website for $23.99 this weekend on sale:

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/docos...d-blu-ray.html