Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Old 11-16-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Trailer links added to first post. Direct downloads.

It's also on the film's new YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/titanicmovie
Old 11-16-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
@ Matthew: so no, IMAX 15/70 prints are being made... at all?, oh that sucks
1. The film is 197 minutes long. IMAX's 15/70 max, as of 2009, was 160 minutes.

2. Paramount has been releasing less and less films in IMAX 15/70 and distributing more by digital means. A majority of the IMAX screens Super 8 and Transformers: Dark of the Moon played on were digital only. It'll be curious how they distribute Mission: Impossible considering Bird shot numerous sequences in IMAX.
Old 11-16-11, 08:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
1. The film is 197 minutes long. IMAX's 15/70 max, as of 2009, was 160 minutes.

2. Paramount has been releasing less and less films in IMAX 15/70 and distributing more by digital means. A majority of the IMAX screens Super 8 and Transformers: Dark of the Moon played on were digital only. It'll be curious how they distribute Mission: Impossible considering Bird shot numerous sequences in IMAX.
I was wondering that too regarding 'Mission Impossible', I'm pretty sure Warner's is releasing Nolan's next Batman in 15/70 since a higher amount of the movie was shot that way [fingers crossed] It's no news to you, but as of 2013 IMAX plans on phasing out all it's 15/70 projector's and that all IMAX screens will be digitized in collaboration with Kodak and their technology - this includes all the museums.

in regards 7.1 it actually took Bay's decision and implementation of the mixing of 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' for Paramount to jump on board - so far it's only been Disney, Paramount, Dreamworks, and Summit Entertainment to really embrace the sound format - Fox dabbled on two titles and neither Sony or Warner's have yet to release a film in 7.1 - maybe Sony will resurrect 8-channel SDDS. Universal has released a few blurays in 7.1, but nothing theatrically - yet.
Old 11-16-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering that too regarding 'Mission Impossible', I'm pretty sure Warner's is releasing Nolan's next Batman in 15/70 since a higher amount of the movie was shot that way [fingers crossed] It's no news to you, but as of 2013 IMAX plans on phasing out all it's 15/70 projector's and that all IMAX screens will be digitized in collaboration with Kodak and their technology - this includes all the museums.
What Kodak technology are they using come then?

Because, right now, dual 2K projectors side-by-side look like shit compared to some of the 4K projections I've seen in the past two years.
Old 11-17-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Thanks for the fascinating update.
You're welcome, although it doesn't quite match your contribution to the thread.
Old 11-17-11, 12:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's no news to you, but as of 2013 IMAX plans on phasing out all it's 15/70 projector's and that all IMAX screens will be digitized in collaboration with Kodak and their technology - this includes all the museums.
What sad news. That's sadder than camera manufacturers ceasing manufacture of new 35mm cameras.

IMAX is basicly admiting that all their value is in their name. That IMAX doesn't mean large format film, that IMAX doesn't mean large formate cameras, large format negatives, and large format exhibition anymore. That IMAX is just some letters that means the screen will be (hopefully) really big.
Old 11-17-11, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Thanks for the fascinating update.
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
You're welcome, although it doesn't quite match your contribution to the thread.
I personally don't get this at all.

There are lots of movies I have ZERO interest in seeing or even hearing about so what do I do?

I don't even click on the threads about them. I have nothing to say about those movies, so why bother reading about them let alone chiming in just to say how uninterested I am? It's almost like I'd rather not waste my time with that and spend the time on something else, like a thread for something I actually enjoy.

Weird, isn't it?

I even do that for (shock!) TV shows. And video games. And music. (more shock!) I do the exact same thing on every message board I visit and take part in! If I don't like something, or have no interest in something, I won't even bother reading let alone talking!

See people like to go "well it's freedom of speech" but there's another component to it: Thinking about what it is people are saying just because they have the freedom to. Sure I could go into every thread that has to do with something I'm not into and say to everyone how uninterested and how I refuse to watch / listen because I can, but beyond having the freedom to, what's the point?
Old 11-17-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I'm still on the fence over seeing this in 3D since I feel it exploits the tragedy - but my understanding is that digital theaters can alternate between showing this in 3D and 2D digital projection - I'd like to see this in the latter in particular since the film was retransferred in 4K - if there's one film that would look great in true 4K DLP/'Sony' LCoS - this is it!
How is it that 3D exploits the tragedy, but 2D doesn't?
Old 11-17-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I personally don't get this at all.

There are lots of movies I have ZERO interest in seeing or even hearing about so what do I do?

I don't even click on the threads about them. I have nothing to say about those movies, so why bother reading about them let alone chiming in just to say how uninterested I am? It's almost like I'd rather not waste my time with that and spend the time on something else, like a thread for something I actually enjoy.

Weird, isn't it?

I even do that for (shock!) TV shows. And video games. And music. (more shock!) I do the exact same thing on every message board I visit and take part in! If I don't like something, or have no interest in something, I won't even bother reading let alone talking!

See people like to go "well it's freedom of speech" but there's another component to it: Thinking about what it is people are saying just because they have the freedom to. Sure I could go into every thread that has to do with something I'm not into and say to everyone how uninterested and how I refuse to watch / listen because I can, but beyond having the freedom to, what's the point?
Well, for me at least, I was stating the fact that the film didn't interest me when it came out in 2D, and the added dimension isn't going to get me into a theater either. Should every thread only be filled with responses from people who are going to see it? Sounds boring.
Old 11-17-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder if Kate's nipples will pop out in 3D (someone had to ask) and other 3D movies have done that
Old 11-17-11, 01:07 PM

Well, for me at least, I was stating the fact that the film didn't interest me when it came out in 2D, and the added dimension isn't going to get me into a theater either. Should every thread only be filled with responses from people who are going to see it? Sounds boring.
This response of yours is a hell of a lot more interesting, because you're at least giving a solid reason.

I could go into every "Transformers" thread or "Pirates of the Caribbean" thread and announce I have no intention of watching them or that I hate them but unless I actually take the time to explain why, which you have just done with Titanic by giving an explanation (which leads to discussion, then anger, then hate, than lame Star Wars references) then it's a waste of time to type it and a waste of time to read it.

As for Kate's nipples in 3D, well if that doesn't interest you I don't know what to say
Old 11-17-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
This response of yours is a hell of a lot more interesting, because you're at least giving a solid reason.

I could go into every "Transformers" thread or "Pirates of the Caribbean" thread and announce I have no intention of watching them or that I hate them but unless I actually take the time to explain why, which you have just done with Titanic by giving an explanation (which leads to discussion, then anger, then hate, than lame Star Wars references) then it's a waste of time to type it and a waste of time to read it.
Point taken. Clearly, I'm a fan of brevity.
Old 11-17-11, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
People have often said the opening of "Saving Private Ryan" is as amazing as it is largely due to its sound mix giving a "you are there" feel along with the visuals. That opening is based on a real event but I doubt anyone would call that exploitative. I'm not sure how going from three-dimensional sound to three-dimensional visuals crosses a line.
Old 11-17-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i wonder if Kate's nipples will pop out in 3D (someone had to ask) and other 3D movies have done that
I don't know about her nipples but that giant blue vein will probably stick out like she just bench pressed Buick!
Old 11-17-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I'm not sure what the original posters reason is, but it may have something to do with the 3D version being released as close as possible to the 100th anniversary of the event.
Old 11-17-11, 02:41 PM

I only find it exploitative since it's it's captializing the 3D fad and raking in more bucks for the sake of 3D technology - I'd also find it in bad taste if someone did a 3D version of 'United 93' or 'World Trade Center'
Old 11-17-11, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
What Kodak technology are they using come then?

Because, right now, dual 2K projectors side-by-side look like shit compared to some of the 4K projections I've seen in the past two years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1015342.html

Kodak, Imax Strike Laser Projection Patents Deal Worth Tens Of Millions

By BREE FOWLER 10/16/11 06:27 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Eastman Kodak Co. said Sunday that it will license thousands of patents to Imax in a deal that will supply the troubled photography company with millions of dollars.

A person familiar with the agreement, but not authorized to speak with the media, said the initial deal is worth tens of millions of dollars. The agreement includes additional payments if certain milestones are met, along with patent royalties, the person said.

Rochester, N.Y.-based Kodak has struggled in recent years as consumers shifted to digital cameras and away from traditional film. Investor fears about its finances sent its shares tumbling earlier this month, after the company hired Jones Day, one of the country's top bankruptcy and restructuring law firms, as an advisor.

The 131-year-old company, which is credited with turning picture-taking into a hobby for the masses, insisted then that it had no intention of filing for bankruptcy protection.

Under the agreement announced Sunday, Imax Co. will have exclusive use of Kodak's laser projection technology. The Kodak patents will allow Imax to provide high-quality digital content for theater screens larger than 80 feet and domed theaters for the first time. Screens that large had previously been limited to film content, the companies said.

IMAX said it expects to introduce the new laser-projection technology by the second half of 2013.

The agreement covers about 100 patents related to laser protection technology, along with certain digital cinema rights to about 10,000 of Kodak's 11,000 total patents, said the person familiar with the deal,

The company has used its patents as a way to raise cash before. Since 2008, it's raised nearly $2 billion in licensing fees, and is hoping to sell another 1,100 digital-imaging patents. Some analysts have said that portfolio of patents could fetch $3 billion for Kodak.

After four years of losses, Kodak has said that it expects to return to profitability next year on the strength of deep investments in digital inkjet printers.

~

in regards to the dual 2K DLP technology that IMAX-lite currently uses, I agree I've seen and prefer Barco's 4K DLP setup (Cinemark Egyptian 24's XD screen) , it hands down delivers the best resolution, clarity and brightness.
Old 11-17-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only find it exploitative since it's it's captializing the 3D fad and raking in more bucks for the sake of 3D technology - I'd also find it in bad taste if someone did a 3D version of 'United 93' or 'World Trade Center'
Hard, straight facts:

1. Titanic made $601 million domestically during its original theatrical run. It was the number one film at the box office for fifteen weeks straight, something that is completely unheard of in our generation. It took twelve years for another film to beat the domestic record; that film being Jimmy Cameron's own Avatar ($750 million during its first theatrical run, but only seven straight weeks at number one).

2. Titanic made $1.3 billion in the international markets and holds the record for being the first film to cross the $1 billion mark out of all combined, worldwide grosses. When combined with the domestic gross, the film pulled in close to $1.9 billion. Yet again, it took Cameron's own Avatar to beat that record twelve years later ($2.1 billion international, $2.9 billion worldwide).

2012 marks not only the 100th anniversary of the initial sailing disaster, but also 15 years since the film has been out. Should Fox, Paramount and Cameron wait until next year to do it? Would that be less exploitive? Based upon your logic, the film just being made itself is exploitative since the film's story is really about a romantic triangle. The Titanic is there just to serve as the story's setting.

It's been one-hundred years since the disaster happened, everybody involved is now dead, so who honestly cares? If we're doomed to forget history, we're bound to repeat it. Blah, blah, blah.

And who would see a 3D post-convert of United 93 or World Trade Center? Shit, nobody saw them during their original theatrical runs.
Old 11-17-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Jimmy" Cameron?
Old 11-17-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Jimmy" Cameron?
Jimmy and I go way back. We met the time he was shooting Aquaman with Vinny Chase.
Old 11-17-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, I knew there'd be an interesting story behind it.
Old 11-17-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Capitalizing on the fad? Cameron had planned on doing this before Avatar even came out. And even if that weren't the case, it's pretty much Cameron who spearheaded this whole fad so it isn't that unreasonable.
Old 01-23-12, 08:56 PM

anyhoo - some new news regarding the IMAX release:

http://www.slashfilm.com/video-blog-...-preview-imax/

The other reason I would recommend viewing the movie at an IMAX theatre is that you will see more than you would in a normal 3D theatre. Cameron announced that since the film was shot in Super 35, they were able to remaster the entire film at a larger aspect ratio than its original (and normal 3D re-release) theatrical distribution. This means you’ll get more image at the top and the bottom, which hopefully provides a more immersive experience.

Old 01-23-12, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh shit.
Old 01-23-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

James Cameron doesn't seem to be very strict about OAR.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.