Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: Retribution

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Resident Evil: Retribution

Ha ha. That type of shot wasn't created by Jackson. The movie was mediocre, cool, but you don't have to make up problems on top of it
Old 12-29-12, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Ha ha. That type of shot wasn't created by Jackson. The movie was mediocre, cool, but you don't have to make up problems on top of it
Yeah you're right, I have to make stuff up to hate this movie.
Old 12-29-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminal
Yeah you're right, I have to make stuff up to hate this movie.
And yet that's exacty what you did.
Old 12-29-12, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And yet that's exacty what you did.
If you say so.
Old 12-29-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Terminal
If you say so.
You said that they ripped off Peter Jackson with the ever-widening shots. Peter Jackson didn't start that and therefor no one ripped him off.
Old 12-29-12, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You said that they ripped off Peter Jackson with the ever-widening shots. Peter Jackson didn't start that and therefor no one ripped him off.
He POPULARIZED it. Therefore Anderson ripped it off. Anderson doesn't have an original bone in his body. I stick by my claim.
Old 12-29-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But he used a similar shot at the end of the first Resident Evil, to reveal Alice in an apocalyptic city. That was 2002. Lord of the Rings was 2001. It stands to reason that their productions overlapped. Hmmmm
Old 12-29-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But he used a similar shot at the end of the first Resident Evil, to reveal Alice in an apocalyptic city. That was 2002. Lord of the Rings was 2001. It stands to reason that their productions overlapped. Hmmmm
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bW7Op86ox9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-29-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thinking about it, every Resident Evil movie end with that reveal shot: 1: reveal of devastated city, 2: Reveal of umbrella satellite in space, 3: reveal of Alice clones, 4: reveal of incoming umbrella ships, 5: reveal of war torn DC.

Seems like a series tradition to me.
Old 12-29-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems weird to credit Jackson with popularizing that camera pullback reveal. I'd have to think its been around for ages, right?
Old 12-29-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinking about it, every Resident Evil movie end with that reveal shot: 1: reveal of devastated city, 2: Reveal of umbrella satellite in space, 3: reveal of Alice clones, 4: reveal of incoming umbrella ships, 5: reveal of war torn DC.

Seems like a series tradition to me.
Anderson also followed the tradition with the ending shot of The Three Musketeers.

He also sort of did the same in Event Horizon but that was more of a slow pull back and fade out.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seems weird to credit Jackson with popularizing that camera pullback reveal. I'd have to think its been around for ages, right?
It has been around forever. Off the top of my head I can think of the ending to The Empire Strikes Back and I'm certain it was old hat by the time that movie came along.
Old 12-29-12, 04:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is one of the worst films of the year. It's also the worst Resident Evil movie, and that's saying something.
Old 12-29-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Anderson's films are guilty pleasures. They're bad, but directed really well. I guess we all have that one bad director whose films we actually enjoy, but for all the wrong reasons. My favorite Anderson films are, in order from favorite to least favorite:

Event Horizon
Death Race
Three Musketeers
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Mortal Kombat
Alien Vs. Predator
Soldier
Resident Evil

I've never seen Shopping, so can't rate that one.
Old 12-29-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They're bad, but directed really well.
This doesn't make sense. Please explain how a movie can be well directed but bad.
Old 12-29-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
This doesn't make sense. Please explain how a movie can be well directed but bad.
They have shitty stories, but are technically competent films.
Old 12-29-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still don't know how he pulled off Event Horizon.
Old 12-29-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I still don't know how he pulled off Event Horizon.
Event Horizon actually has a great story, but the studio meddling was what made it bomb. I wish the deleted footage could be reinserted.
Old 12-29-12, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

I do normally enjoy Anderson's work. He has no sense of story or character but he can usually make a fun movie. This movie couldn't even muster up fun.
Old 12-29-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have shitty stories, but are technically competent films.
A director oversees all aspects of the film, whether it be the acting, editing, story, cinematography, etc. Anderson has been around long enough to where you can't lay the blame on strict instructions by a studio or producer...the shitty quality of his films (whatever aspects of it) is on him.

Everyone loves to point to Event Horizon and say "hey look, he's got skill!" My ass. I do like Event Horizon, but Anderson's career had just begun when he made that film and I'm sure he didn't have as much creative freedom then as he does now (meaning other people were responsible for EH being a decent movie).
Old 12-29-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A director oversees all aspects of the film, whether it be the acting, editing, story, cinematography, etc. Anderson has been around long enough to where you can't lay the blame on strict instructions by a studio or producer...the shitty quality of his films (whatever aspects of it) is on him.

Everyone loves to point to Event Horizon and say "hey look, he's got skill!" My ass. I do like Event Horizon, but Anderson's career had just begun when he made that film and I'm sure he didn't have as much creative freedom then as he does now (meaning other people were responsible for EH being a decent movie).
I said that his films suck story-wise, but that they're adequately directed. It's like you're saying that even though the story sucks, his films, based on technical specs, must also suck. Wrong. Ask Michael Bay. He does the same thing but on a much larger scale. Bay's films I can't get into, though. Probably because Michael Bay is a big time douche in real life...and his films are actually badly directed.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-29-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Anderson writes most of his scripts, so he's also to blame for story, dialogue, and character in this case.
Old 12-29-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I said that his films suck story-wise, but that they're adequately directed. It's like you're saying that even though the story sucks, his films, based on technical specs, must also suck. Wrong. Ask Michael Bay. He does the same thing but on a much larger scale. Bay's films I can't get into, though. Probably because Michael Bay is a big time douche in real life...and his films are actually badly directed.
You're still not making any sense. And you also didn't comprehend what I said either.

This is your logic: the cinematography, action, editing, special effects, sound mixing are good, so his films are well directed....what?

The director's MAIN job, how he's judged on a movie, is to tell a good story and get good performances out of his actors. Anderson is NOT good at this. Why again is he a good director? Because he has a big budget and a decent Cinematographer or Sound editor or Visual Effects team?

I think what you've been trying to say is that he has a respectable supporting crew (although I think many would disagree with that assessment as well).
Old 12-29-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're still not making any sense. And you also didn't comprehend what I said either.

This is your logic: the cinematography, action, editing, special effects, sound mixing are good, so his films are well directed....what?

The director's MAIN job, how he's judged on a movie, is to tell a good story and get good performances out of his actors. Anderson is NOT good at this. Why again is he a good director? Because he has a big budget and a decent Cinematographer or Sound editor or Visual Effects team?

I think what you've been trying to say is that he has a respectable supporting crew (although I think many would disagree with that assessment as well).

He knows how to compose a shot. He's not a good writer.

That's what I'm saying. Bay can't do either.
Old 08-16-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this on Starz as well. 90 minute movie but a 15 minute recap at the start of the movie? It felt like one chapter in a book. loved watching milla doing her thing, and the asian girl was pretty cool.

But meh.
Old 08-16-13, 12:40 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Saw this on Starz as well. 90 minute movie but a 15 minute recap at the start of the movie? It felt like one chapter in a book. loved watching milla doing her thing, and the asian girl was pretty cool.

But meh.
Exactly...these movies just feel like extra long TV episodes now.