Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: Retribution

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Resident Evil: Retribution

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Resident Evil: Retribution

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Are they digitally de-aging her. I seem to remember a lot of bitching about how old she looked in the last RE movie.
I thought the complaints were that they obviously applied filters to her face in the last flick. Unnecesarrily since she's still gorgeous.
Old 07-07-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Not in the last one. They did the filtering thing in part 3.
Old 07-07-12, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To who though. i barely remember RE3. To Jovovich?
Old 07-07-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not in the last one. They did the filtering thing in part 3.
Oh, okay. I misremembered then. The filtering sort of came and went, right?

I really need to revisit the previous four (even the horrid second one cos Jill Valentine was at least good eye candy).
Old 07-07-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, to Milla. It was so obvious. I have no idea why, because 1 and 2 were left alone.
Old 07-07-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, to Milla. It was so obvious. I have no idea why, because 1 and 2 were left alone.
She was untouched in 4, as well (at least, to the best of my recollection). Hell, in The Three Musketeers no filtering was applied and she looked as stunning as ever.
Old 07-07-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked out after 2. Kinda like how I checked of Underworld after the first one. Are these movies good? These are two franchises that I always shrug my shoulders about and wonder, Is there that big of an audience for them? I guess the answer is yes. It just kinda sucks that Resident Evil gets 5 movies while stuff like John Carter and The Rocketeer only get one.
Old 07-07-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well John Carter was due to pisspoor marketing. I have no clue why The Rocketeer also failed. Both very good films which makes the lack of sequels very sad.
Old 09-15-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm definately catching this tomorrow morning.

Thought I'd check in to see what people are saying.

Did nobody on here see this yet?
Old 09-15-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm seeing it tomorrow as well. I'm a fan of the series. I'll try to report back tomorrow.
Old 09-15-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really have interest in seeing this in theaters, but I have heard it's the best since the first.
Old 09-15-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't really have interest in seeing this in theaters, but I have heard it's the best since the first.
Really? Talking to friends who (inexplicably) love the series, not one of them likes this new one beyond the thrill of seeing do many returning characters for scant moments. The guests at my theatre have been mixed, but I had a few angry ones demanding their money back.
Old 09-15-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bothered with any of the series after the dreadful Part 2, so I didn't have much baggage going in. I simply expected some interesting action and hot women performing cheesy ass-kicking.

After successfully jettisoning any expectations of coherent plot, I can say I got pretty much what I expected. The opening scene (recap from the last entry?) and Alice's initial Matrix-inspired hallway battle were entirely satisfying. The rest of the film was tolerable thanks to the fun 3D and Tomandandy score. Yes, I rolled my eyed constantly at the idiotic Umbrella/zombie cannon fodder redshirts, dumb deaths by sorta-featured characters, and total lack of mourning by friends of said characters. Visually, the IMAX 3D was probably a big saving grace, and I'm glad I saw it in the format. Also, regarding Jill Valentine:

Spoiler:
I don't know how she became the big baddie, but how freaking obvious was that mind-control spider on her chest? A good deal of trouble could have been saved dispensing of that thing far earlier on, but I digress. I fully realized the cheesball of this plot point and simply appreciated her skintight jumpsuit and glorious cleavage at face value

After seeing this entry, I could entirely see myself going back to catch Extinction and Afterlife while putting back a good deal of whiskey.

Last edited by filmerp; 09-15-12 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-16-12, 02:23 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

They explained the "mind control spider" in Afterlife. When Alice finds Claire she is wearing one, and a big plot point of that film is Claire lost her memory once it was removed. In this one Jill takes it off and remembers Alice after a minute. Kind of a big flaw. This one was kinda bleh. These movies almost kind of seem like episodes of a TV show. Like oh...this year Alice is stuck in a facility with random city models. Just guilty pleasures....if it wasn't for Milla I probably wouldnt bother.
Old 09-16-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The best part of the movie was the DmC trailer before the movie started...
Old 09-16-12, 08:48 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Speaking of trailers before....WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT DANCE MOVIE??? Sawyer...what are you doing? Who the hell would fund such a movie. Looks awful.
Old 09-16-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Caught this last night. I'm a fan of the series and would put them in order like so:
1, 3, 4, 2 and 5

This was utterly a complete piece of shit.
Old 09-16-12, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised these films don't just spontaneously generate themselves at this point.
Old 09-16-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't like to call movies 'good' or 'bad'.

This movie is completely unsatisfying. What the fuck? From what I could tell, it had one act. I was expecting a war in Washington DC. That doesn't happen. The whole movie takes place at an Umbrella base in Russia. Quite possibly, the most plotless movie I've ever seen. No cool introductions or payoffs. No climax (I thought I was watching a segway to the second half of the movie). I'm not sure how else I can describe it.

I feel pissed off. Conned. I like the other RE movies (see my previous post). And I was kind of excited to see this. But this movie is a total cheat.

Go and see it if you want.

Fuck this movie.
Old 09-16-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Speaking of trailers before....WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT DANCE MOVIE??? Sawyer...what are you doing? Who the hell would fund such a movie. Looks awful.
There's a market for hip-hop dance competitions and whatnot. I have very little interest in it. But there's a circuit of competitions and whatnot - just like film festivals.
Old 09-16-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
Caught this last night. I'm a fan of the series and would put them in order like so:
1, 3, 4, 2 and 5

This was utterly a complete piece of shit.
Meh, it was better than 2.

Saw it in Imax 3D, the only saving grace were the three chubby chicks in skimpy dresses in front of me, and you know when that's the saving grace the movie was in the shitter.
Old 09-16-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Meh, it was better than 2.

Saw it in Imax 3D, the only saving grace were the three chubby chicks in skimpy dresses in front of me, and you know when that's the saving grace the movie was in the shitter.
At least 2 had a story you could follow. This one was all over the place. Plus 2 had Sienna Guillory looking her finest.
Old 09-16-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the reeeeeaaalllly long recap at the start of the 95-minute movie. That was the first sign there wasn't going to be much there
Old 09-16-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed well enough. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of real world apocalypse locales. I wasn't really expecting an "escape the facility" movie. Thought we'd be out in the real world. Oh well, the cliffhanger was cool.

Action was good, Milla in her paper scrubs again, more characters from the game. Can't complain.
Old 09-16-12, 10:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

From what most of you have said, it sounds like I'll be waiting for this to hit the bargain bin before I add it to my collection. -kd5-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.