Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

24: The Movie -- Star: Kiefer Sutherland - Rumors, news, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

24: The Movie -- Star: Kiefer Sutherland - Rumors, news, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: FOX hires Billy Ray (State of Play, Breach) to write 24: The Movie

I don't know what CTU is. I don't like giving up my time to follow TV shows, where you NEED to watch every episode. But I'd like to see a 24: The Movie.

Did anyone ever stop and think about how much shit Jack actually goes through in 24 hours? I'd love to see a list of crazy medical shit, dead bodies, espionage, etc. that pile up in 24 hours for Jack, in the course of "one day".
Old 01-02-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Did anyone ever stop and think about how much shit Jack actually goes through in 24 hours? I'd love to see a list of crazy medical shit, dead bodies, espionage, etc. that pile up in 24 hours for Jack, in the course of "one day".
http://24.wikia.com/wiki/On-screen_kills_by_Jack_Bauer

Has a list of every on-screen kill by Jack Bauer that includes a picture, name, method, episode, etc.

266 Kills in Total over the course of 8 Seasons and the TV Movie.
Old 01-02-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
266 Kills in Total over the course of 8 Seasons and the TV Movie.
Wow, that is amazing. I've only watched the first two seasons so far, so I didn't realize it was that many. Man, Jack Bauer is a one-man wave of genocide.
Old 01-02-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loved "24," but a movie has always been a bad idea. It doesn't make sense from an integrity standpoint of what the show was based on--one real-time hour equals a real-time hour in the show. That's what made the show unique.

24 hours in a two hour span is essentially "Training Day" or "Changing Lanes" with Jack Bauer--it's just another movie.

They should've focused on making a more impactful series finale.
Old 01-02-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

If I recall correctly, after season 5 wrapped, there was a big article in TV Guide that Joel Surnow and Bob Cochran, 24's creators, wrote a screenplay for a feature film with Jack being an International terrorist hunter or something like that. They were going to shoot it in Europe and Joel and Bob were scouting locations. The plan was to shoot in during 24's summer break. But, they realized it wasn't feasible (3 month timeframe) to shoot it and then start writing season 6, so they scrapped it until the series ended.
Old 01-02-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what CTU is. I don't like giving up my time to follow TV shows, where you NEED to watch every episode. But I'd like to see a 24: The Movie.
how can anyone who doesn't know what CTU is claim they'd like to see a 24 movie??!!

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Loved "24," but a movie has always been a bad idea. It doesn't make sense from an integrity standpoint of what the show was based on--one real-time hour equals a real-time hour in the show. That's what made the show unique.

24 hours in a two hour span is essentially "Training Day" or "Changing Lanes" with Jack Bauer--it's just another movie.

I agree, the idea for a movie seems pointless (the exact reason it will be made)
but I disagree about the season finale not being impactful .... sure the season before that but most would agree the season returned to form in the end
Old 01-02-11, 06:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure Billy Ray insisted that Miley somehow be cast, so I'm sure this is for the best.
Old 01-02-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by musick
how can anyone who doesn't know what CTU is claim they'd like to see a 24 movie??!!
I watched a few episodes during seasons 1 and 2. I don't like to get attached to TV shows, as they take up soooo much time. Last thing I remember watching was someone shaking hands with the black president, it's found out that there some some chemical on their hand, and then he dies (?) at the end.

Real time movies always interest me (I was one of the few who LOVED Snake Eyes for it's style). Nick of Time was also a neat idea.
Old 01-02-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musick

I agree, the idea for a movie seems pointless (the exact reason it will be made)
but I disagree about the season finale not being impactful .... sure the season before that but most would agree the season returned to form in the end
I thought the second half of season 8 was great, but the actual finale episode of the series was very anti-climatic to me.
Old 01-02-11, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006

yet you never saw Bauer take a shit. I mean...c'mon...24 hours and you don't take a shit? Did he even piss?
Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nick of Time worked on that same principle and it was a good movie.
Old 01-02-11, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yet you never saw Bauer take a shit. I mean...c'mon...24 hours and you don't take a shit? Did he even piss?
That joke died in Season one.

I watched a few episodes during seasons 1 and 2. I don't like to get attached to TV shows, as they take up soooo much time. Last thing I remember watching was someone shaking hands with the black president, it's found out that there some some chemical on their hand, and then he dies (?) at the end.

Real time movies always interest me (I was one of the few who LOVED Snake Eyes for it's style). Nick of Time was also a neat idea.
Except that this most likely wouldn't be a real time movie, but simply a movie that takes place over the course of 24 hours, if that.
Old 01-02-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

The whole point of the series finale was to segway into the movies and giving them an opportunity to shoot internationally in multiple locations. 24 was IMO the best serialized TV action show of the 2000's, but shooting/storytelling wise they were extremely handicapped with the real time format. I see nothing wrong with the movie still being called 24 and not being in real time. The character Jack Bauer is what will make people want to see the movie(s).
Old 01-02-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

What do you mean they take up so much time? Do you not own a TV set? So you don't watch any scripted TV shows at all? Is it that much of a chore to sit through 22-24 episodes? 24 ran 8 seasons and almost 200 episodes and IMO it was some of the best TV of the last decade. Well worth the time.

Some of the best entertainment comes from scripted TV whether you choose to watch it on TV or DVD.

24 had some of the best production value/sets/action sequences that was almost feature film quality. It was like watching 8 24-hour feature films. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up being able to shoot in more locations and having a bigger budget.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-02-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
What do you mean they take up so much time?
I own and run two companies, full time. I'm a slave. This place is really my only 'downtime'. I haven't had cable for almost three years. I watch a couple shows on Hulu (mostly The Office and 30 Rock), while answering emails, etc. And The Daily Show. But that's about it.
Old 01-02-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Except that this most likely wouldn't be a real time movie, but simply a movie that takes place over the course of 24 hours, if that.
Oh, I get it. Well, maybe Jack will take a couple globetrotting flights. Tony Scott can definately pull off the frantic feel. I remember watching Man on Fire and looking at my friend, telling him, 'this movie makes me feel like I'm smoking crack'.
Old 01-02-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Wasn't the idea always that only the final hour of the movie would be real-time and the previous hour or so would be a truncated 23 hour period that would setup the real-time sequence?
Old 01-02-11, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
That joke died in Season one.

I wasn't joking...I know this may come out weird cuz I don't know how else to put it..but...I don't mind acknowledging my characters to use the restroom. Especially w/ the idea that it's 24 hrs....at some point...it's gotta happen.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wasn't the idea always that only the final hour of the movie would be real-time and the previous hour or so would be a truncated 23 hour period that would setup the real-time sequence?
Jesus...1 hr= 23 in movie hours? I hope it could be pulled off without feeling rushed or something. With the way the show went I don't know if it could work. Bauer kept moving a lot.
Old 01-02-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think that was just a story idea being thrown out there by Howard Gordon and company as a possibility for what they might do with the movie. I don't think it was ever taken seriously.
Old 01-02-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Jesus...1 hr= 23 in movie hours? I hope it could be pulled off without feeling rushed or something. With the way the show went I don't know if it could work. Bauer kept moving a lot.
Given plenty of action flicks have covered weeks (and sometimes months) in two hours or less, I think covering 23 hours in one hour of screentime is nothing. Just sporadically show Jack offing baddies to keep things moving.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think that was just a story idea being thrown out there by Howard Gordon and company as a possibility for what they might do with the movie. I don't think it was ever taken seriously.
I see. Since I never saw any info to contradict that, I always assumed that was indeed the intended goal.
Old 01-02-11, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I get it. Well, maybe Jack will take a couple globetrotting flights. Tony Scott can definately pull off the frantic feel. I remember watching Man on Fire and looking at my friend, telling him, 'this movie makes me feel like I'm smoking crack'.
I feel like I should watch that movie now.

I wasn't joking...I know this may come out weird cuz I don't know how else to put it..but...I don't mind acknowledging my characters to use the restroom. Especially w/ the idea that it's 24 hrs....at some point...it's gotta happen.
It happens during the commercial breaks. They answered this question years ago. They don't show every single thing that happens onscreen during the 24-hour period. If you've ever watched the show you can see that they skip time during the commercial breaks.
Old 01-02-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I want the movie to just have a plot that ISN'T limited to 24 hours or 2 hours real time. Yes, it's "24" but 24 is a franchise now and not just a real-time show anymore. The plot could have no set time frames and it would still be great. Today, 24 isn't known as the "real-time show." It's known as the "Jack Bauer is a badass" show. So I don't think getting rid of the set time frame will hurt the movie.
Old 01-23-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 24 feature film confirmed by Kiefer Sutherland, set in London

It's January and I'm showing the first signs of Jack Bauer Withdrawal. I was going to start a new thread about the possible "24" movie, but figured I'd just tack the recent news onto this thread.

Last month a script was rejected:

Finally, there’s news about the proposed 24 feature film. Earlier this year we heard that Billy Ray was writing a script for the feature, but exec producer Howard Gordon now says that version of the film is dead, because the Billy Ray script, which was a more broad and international story than the show presented, “wasn’t the right proposition. It wasn’t strong enough or compelling enough to the studio obviously to move ahead with it.”

The producer elaborates to Assignment X,

The movie is something that right now I’m not engaged or involved in. The rumors are that [director] Tony Scott has an idea that he is going to run it by or has run it by Kiefer Sutherland. I don’t know what the status of it is.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tv-bits-24-...-sarah-bolger/
But Kiefer says the movie's still on:

Kiefer Sutherland thinks the 24 movie could start shooting this year
by Sean O'Neal January 21, 2011

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RovaA4iSmew&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RovaA4iSmew&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Although there’s been some speculation that the proposed feature film version of 24 is already dead, star Kiefer Sutherland insisted in an interview with Extra that the movie is still happening—maybe even this year. “We won’t start shooting for about eight months,” Sutherland said, although he later amended this to “December or January.” Addressing the recent rejection of a script by scribe Billy Ray (State Of Play, Shattered Glass), Sutherland said that just means that the story is ever-changing, “And I think it will up until the day we start shooting, and probably from that point forward, too. It’s a very difficult thing to take something that you’ve done for eight years, almost 200 episodes, and try and find a story that’s going to be unique and yet service the history of the show as well.” Ray’s idea was reportedly all about sending Jack Bauer to Europe and allowing him to mete out his brand of handsy terrorist justice there. Obviously there’s no word on what a new story would entail—and it certainly doesn’t seem like there is one yet. If Jack Bauer’s European Vacation suggests we’re following the Clark Griswold model, perhaps he could save Christmas?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/kiefe...d-start,50448/
I still hope it takes place in Europe. Or, at least, far away from LA. That city's been done to death on the show.

Like with the "Arrested Development" movie, I'm holding out hope, but will only believe it exists when I sit down and see the opening credits in the theater.
Old 01-23-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

If 24 had a season nine, it would have started last weekend
Old 01-23-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

^^ totally, I'm with ya bro

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.