Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

It might be like CARLITO'S WAY 2 straight to dvd.
Old 12-06-12, 06:25 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Actually it was:
30s Chicago, USA
80s Florida, USA

and now they're making a movie about a Mexican immigrant who becomes a crime kingpin in the USA.
Still latin america. same shit.
Old 12-06-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would've preferred Russian.

No matter how many movies I see about Mexican cartels getting taken out, Gus Fring's method will always be the most badass.
Old 12-07-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Get Ray Stevenson to play about the same character as he did on "Dexter."
Old 12-07-12, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

No matter how many movies I see about Mexican cartels getting taken out, Gus Fring's method will always be the most badass.
I would go with that too.
Old 12-07-12, 11:28 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Still latin america. same shit.
You made it sound like the 1983 Scarface takes place in Latin America.
Old 12-07-12, 01:52 PM
En vacance

No but it's the same machismo culture.
Scar1- GTAIII
Scar2- Vice City
Scar3- Vice City again
Old 12-07-12, 03:09 PM
Banned

I wonder what the movie score and music soundtrack will be like.
Old 12-07-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
That's why I suggested the white SCARFACE cause we have seen the Mexican too much on t.v. and in some cases as our next door neighbors as drug dealers.
I thought it was because you were tired of seeing Mexicans/Latinos being portrayed as drug dealers or gangsters.

I didn't like his late night show, but I give George Lopez credit for not taking film roles that reinforce negative stereotypes.
Old 12-07-12, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought it was because you were tired of seeing Mexicans/Latinos being portrayed as drug dealers or gangsters.

I didn't like his late night show, but I give George Lopez credit for not taking film roles that reinforce negative stereotypes.
Now when is the release date on this new SCARFACE remake?
I'm still waiting on THE WARRIORS remake and CHEECH & CHONG reunion movie.
Old 08-01-13, 04:03 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: There’s a ton of curiosity and criticism about Universal‘s Scarface reboot since both the 1932 Chicago bootlegging film and 1983 Miami cocaine-dealing versions were so iconic. Understanding that, the studio according to my sources has been David Yatesrefining the script with several screenwriters and drafts while keeping all names and details under wraps. “Universal has been through a couple of drafts and now is very high on the current draft. The first stop is the director. This is before any conversations on talent or timing.” I’ve learned that the studio is in final talks with British director David Yates who directed the final four films in the Harry Potter film series (#s 5, 6, 7, and 8 from 2007-2011) – and in my opinion should have won some Oscar nominations for them as the franchise grew dark and interesting under his helming. Though he normally works at Warner Bros, Yates has been the subject of considerable chatter over which film projects he’d do next. A prolific TV director known for his gripping British TV six-part political thriller State Of Play (2003) and the Emmy-winning The Girl In The Café (2005), Yates is a founding member of Directors UK. He now is much in demand with the finish of the Harry Potter franchise. On Scarface, he will be tasked with updating the crime saga so it lives up to the Ben Hecht/Howard Hawks/Paul Muni and Oliver Stone/Brian De Palma/Al Pacino classics since both became part of popular culture. This is not a remake or sequel but a reboot of a crime kingpin who through a ruthless campaign of ambition goes in hot pursuit of his American Dream – whatever that is in this decade. Ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions so expect the same here. Former Universal head Marc Shmuger and his Global Produce banner is producing along with Martin Bregman who produced the Pacino version.
Old 08-01-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This is not a remake or sequel but a reboot...
Why do studios always say this, as if that is the magic phrase that will allow everyone to warm up to the idea?
Old 03-25-14, 09:22 AM

Chilean filmmaker Pablo Larraín (“No”) is in negotiations to direct the new “Scarface” movie for Universal Pictures and Marc Shmuger's Global Produce, TheWrap has learned.

“Scarface” will reimagine the core immigrant story told in both the 1932 and 1983 films. Universal's update will be an original story set in modern day Los Angeles that follows a Mexican immigrant's rise in the criminal underworld as he strives for the American Dream.

Two-time Oscar nominee Paul Attanasio (“Donnie Brasco”) wrote the current draft of the screenplay.

Marc Shmuger, who won this year's PGA Award for Best Documentary (“We Steal Secrets”), is producing the film under his Global Produce banner along with Marty Bregman, who produced the 1983 movie.

The filmmakers plan to cast an authentic Latino who is bilingual and bicultural as the lead character, whose name will be Tony, though his last name won't be Camonte (1932) or Montana (1983). While Oscar Isaac, Edgar Ramirez and Michael Pena rank among Hollywood's top Latino stars who are age-appropriate for the role, the producers are also open to casting a complete unknown in the name of authenticity.

Howard Hawks and Richard Rosson co-directed the 1932 “Scarface” starring Paul Muni and produced by Howard Hughes. The original movie, which followed an Italian immigrant's rise to power in Chicago, is now considered a landmark gangster film. It drew controversy for its violence and sat on a shelf for more than a year as the filmmakers made the edits necessary to secure distribution. Even then, a dozen states refused to show it theatrically.

“Scarface” was then remade in 1983 by director Brian De Palma and writer Oliver Stone, who updated the story to follow a Cuban immigrant's (Al Pacino) epic rise to power in Miami.

The new “Scarface” will be a more mythic origin story that explores where Tony's physical and emotional wounds come from and how they shaped him as a man.

Larraín won the coveted job with his commanding and passionate vision. An insider told TheWrap that Larraín really connected to the material and, as someone who has never worked within the Hollywood studio system, he brought an outsider perspective that allowed him to relate to the main character and his narrative.

“Harry Potter” filmmaker David Yates had previously been in negotiations to direct but his commitment to “Tarzan” prevented him from signing on.

Universal executives Jon Mone and Jay Polidoro will oversee “Scarface” for the studio.

Larraín is the acclaimed director of “Tony Manero” and the 2012 Gael Garcia Bernal movie “No,” which was nominated for the foreign language Oscar. At Cannes, the film won the Art Cinema Award — the top prize in the festival's Directors’ Fortnight.

Larraín, who is currently directing an opera in Chile, is repped by CAA and Management 360.
http://www.thewrap.com/scarface-rema...yes-universal/
Old 03-25-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Do studios even commission original scripts any more, or do they just go into their back catalogs and see what would be best to "re-imagine"?
Old 03-25-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Between this and The Grudge we're down to remakes of remakes, and then Hollywood blames Bittorrent for their box office decline.
Old 03-25-14, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
FUCK Universal. I guess they'll remake their entire catalog before they decide to make something original again.
You didn't care for The Thing and Psycho.
Old 03-25-14, 11:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Awful idea. Hollywood grassfuckers.
Old 03-25-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about Michael B. Jordan as Scarface? That would be a hip new take on the character.
Old 03-18-15, 10:15 AM

Universal is moving forward with its Scarface remake and has tapped Straight Outta Compton writer Jonathan Herman to do the rewrite.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...traight-782472
Old 03-18-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Tony Camonte, Tony Montana. So... Tony Moctezuma?
Old 03-18-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

They can easily re-invent this every 5 years...just pick a new ethnicity for the immigrant Scarface and wallah, a new movie. Next one after this can be Russian.
Old 03-18-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Good idea. Stereotyping people who aren't white Americans should be easy. Follow an African, Asian, Russian, Australian, Brit, etc. The scripts would almost write themselves. And, inside my head, they all actually sound pretty solid. Watching the very beginning, rise, and fall is a is a solid spec script model.
Old 03-18-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jaymole
They can easily re-invent this every 5 years...just pick a new ethnicity for the immigrant Scarface and wallah, a new movie. Next one after this can be Russian.
For the Russian reboot, I hope they re-write this song as "Tony, It's Your Cousin".

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 442px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/track=3033214441/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless>Niko It's Your Cousin! by Miracle Of Sound</iframe>
Old 03-18-15, 04:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

they need to do a remake of godfather and tie it in to this scarface update to kick off a gangster / mob...cinematic universe, to join the likes of:

superhero CU
monster/creature CU
horror CU
ghostbusters CU
tv action stars CU
Old 03-18-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How about a soft reboot that acknowledges both Scarface '83 and The Godfather with a flashback featuring Al Pacino where Tony Montana and Michael Corleone meet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.