Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

Old 11-29-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Scarface - remake (D: Guadagnino / W: Coen Bros.)

Originally Posted by troystiffler
But I guess it wasn't too responsible to make Scarface in the 80's. It bared a "crime doesn't pay" message, but just barely.
The problem with the DePalma version is that Tony Montana was portrayed as an anti-hero.

He pretty much is shown murdering people who are bad guys themselves: the former torturer for Castro's govt, the cocaine buyers who killed his friend Angel, his former boss who attempted to kill him, and then the corrupt cop.

The reason he's eventually killed is because he DIDN'T kill the journalists children in the car, and instead, kills the guy who was willing to.

Just look at the Hip-Hop documentary on the Anniversary Edition DVD to see how irresponsible the film was. Even though I watched and enjoyed the film when I was younger, seeing the effect it had on those around me, I can't really support gangster films where these guys are made into anti-heros to root for.
Old 11-30-11, 03:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Just look at the Hip-Hop documentary on the Anniversary Edition DVD to see how irresponsible the film was. Even though I watched and enjoyed the film when I was younger, seeing the effect it had on those around me, I can't really support gangster films where these guys are made into anti-heros to root for.
1. All gangster films glorify the bad guy, but they usually show his downfall too. They're a way for people who will never break any law to vicariously live the criminal life.

2. Those hip-hop assholes are the way they are because they never met their dads, not because of a film. Give me a break. I heard Phil Spector shot his wife because he watched Phantom of the Paradise three hundred times. :rolleye:
Old 11-30-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
1. All gangster films glorify the bad guy, but they usually show his downfall too.
The problem I have is the way Hollywood romanticizes the gangsters. I understand that few people want to see a movie where the completely hate the lead. However, it's interesting how we as a society have deemed it appropriate to glorfiy gangsters in film.

2. Those hip-hop assholes are the way they are because they never met their dads, not because of a film. Give me a break. I heard Phil Spector shot his wife because he watched Phantom of the Paradise three hundred times. :rolleye:[/QUOTE]

I never said watching Scarface or certain gangster films will automatically turn someone into a gang member. But films like that promote, and also help reinforce that lifestyle. Not to mention the questionable nature of the studio getting together with Def Jam to make a documentary and a hip-hop soundtrack to the film, knowing full well the influence hip-hop has on the younger generation.

I've watched Birth of a Nation but it didn't want to make me join the KKK but I'm sure that when it came out it helped to spread and reinforce racist beliefs.
Old 12-01-11, 11:29 AM
Banned

1. Hollywood has been making films that depict gangsters and gang activity since sound came on the scene. Along with the musical and the western, the gangster film is one of the unique American contributions to cinema. I'm proud of it.

2. Do you only feel this way about Scarface? What about Goodfellas or Reservoir Dogs?

3. What do you suggest we do about it? Not allow these kinds of films? Censorship?

Lastly, you should read up on the history of gangster films and their imitation by real gangsters. There's evidence that the gangster films of the thirties influenced the dress, behavior, and slang of real gangsters back then. There's always been a two way street between the genuine gangsters and films about them.
Old 12-01-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James Cagney puts all these guys to shame including Pacino and DeNiro.
Old 12-01-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
2. Do you only feel this way about Scarface? What about Goodfellas or Reservoir Dogs?
Goodfellas to me was a more realistic take on gangsters. They portrayed them as people who view everyone else as a sucker to be hustled. Despite the flashy dress of Hill and the others, it didn't seem glamorous, and instead depressed me. No cool scenes like, "Say Hello to my little friend," or operatic moments of Don Corleone taking out the heads of the five families who were out to destroy him. Everything in Goodfellas seemed ugly.

Reservoir Dogs was a little more stylized but pretty brutal as well.

Even though I'm a big fan of The Godfather, Carlito's Way, Scarface, etc, I don't really watch those movies anymore and stay away from future gangsters flicks like Public Enemies.

3. What do you suggest we do about it? Not allow these kinds of films? Censorship?
I don't believe that censorship of gangster films is good. I think it's up to the individual, be it the director/producer/etc on whether to not to make a gangster film that stylizes and glorifies criminals, and the possible film goer on whether or not to support a film that does the previously mentioned.

Lastly, you should read up on the history of gangster films and their imitation by real gangsters. There's evidence that the gangster films of the thirties influenced the dress, behavior, and slang of real gangsters back then. There's always been a two way street between the genuine gangsters and films about them.
I'll look into that. I've read various books about gangsters like Donnie Brasco, Wiseguy, and others discussing the gangster film genre.
Old 12-02-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there even an actor right now who can play a badass drug dealer?
Old 12-02-11, 07:00 PM
Banned

Apparently you're unfamilar with the work of Kenan Thompson.
Old 10-17-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Universal Orders a Scarface Rewrite

It was announced last year that Universal Pictures was developing a contemporary remake of Scarface and shortly thereafter, Training Day David Ayer was brought aboard to provide a screenplay. Today, Deadline reports that the project is still moving forward and that Quiz Show writer Paul Attanasio has signed on to rewrite.

Originally directed for the screen by Howard Hawks in 1932, the story of a gangster's rise to power was based on the 1929 Armitage Trail novel of the same name. In 1983, Brian De Palma offered a modernized update of the story with Al Pacino in the lead, which is the version best known today.

Producers Martin Bregma and Marc Shmuger (the former of which produced De Palma's version) are working on the new version which is expected to borrow elements from both Hawks and De Palma's takes on the material.

Source
Say hello to my little friend...again?
Old 10-17-12, 01:52 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells like some seagal dtv shit.
Old 10-17-12, 02:12 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Is there even an actor right now who can play a badass drug dealer?
Well Gus Fring from Breaking Bad was pretty good.
Old 12-05-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EXCLUSIVE: We Know Where The New Tony Montana Hails From In Universal’s ‘SCARFACE’ Remake

Back in October, Mike Fleming over at Deadline reported that Paul Attanasio is rewriting David Ayer’s original draft of Universal’s Scarface remake. The following is what caught my attention.

Scarface was first done in 1932 and then turned into the iconic 1983 film that starred Al Pacino as Cuban gangster Tony Montana. The film is not intended to be a remake or a sequel. It will take the common elements of the first two films: An outsider, an immigrant, barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition. The studio is keeping the specifics of where the new Tony character comes from under wraps at the moment, but ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions.

Keeping the specifics of where the new Tony character comes from under wraps at the moment? Why so secretive? What is the big deal?

Well, according to sources, we have discovered that the new Tony Montana is actually Mexican and the remake takes place in the world of drug cartels.

Shocker. Are you really that surprised?

Source
Orale holmes!
Old 12-05-12, 03:56 PM
Banned

They should have went with a white, trailer trash dude like Emnem to go against the Mexicans and blacks.
Old 12-05-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They should have went with a white, trailer trash dude like Emnem to go against the Mexicans and blacks.
Old 12-05-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your life story.
Old 12-05-12, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who's Emnem?
Old 12-05-12, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Who's Emnem?
Eminem the rapper.
Old 12-05-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

They should cast Salma Hayek as the powerful drug lor... oh wait.
Old 12-05-12, 09:12 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck this. Gay shit. 30s chicago ok, 80s latin america ok, 10s mexican? Fuck this.
Should have gone to Europe or something.
Old 12-06-12, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FRwL
Fuck this. Gay shit. 30s chicago ok, 80s latin america ok, 10s mexican? Fuck this.
That's why I suggested the white SCARFACE cause we have seen the Mexican too much on t.v. and in some cases as our next door neighbors as drug dealers.
Old 12-06-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Give us Luis Guzman, please!
Old 12-06-12, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FRwL
Actually it was:
30s Chicago, USA
80s Florida, USA

and now they're making a movie about a Mexican immigrant who becomes a crime kingpin in the USA.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-06-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-06-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this movie will serve as a wakeup call to tighten up the borders.
Old 12-06-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I suggested the white SCARFACE cause we have seen the Mexican too much on t.v. and in some cases as our next door neighbors as drug dealers.
Yeah, there's not enough white people on TV or the movies.
Old 12-06-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

White/black/brown... whatever color they make him, I'm sure this will have all the intrigue and spectacle of a DTV 50 Cent movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.