Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flight -- The Reviews Thread -- Dir: Robert Zemeckis/Star: Denzel Washington

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Flight?
It was awesome
25.58%
Good, Not Great
39.53%
It was just alright
9.30%
Didn't like it
6.98%
No interest in seeing it
11.63%
Will wait to see it on DVD/BD
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,695 Likes on 2,655 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MlFMZ5D8FNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Promo Spot:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gxxJxhGgaXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Synopsis:

In this action-packed mystery thriller, Academy AwardŽ winner, Denzel Washington stars as Whip Whitaker, a seasoned airline pilot, who miraculously crash lands his plane after a mid-air catastrophe, saving nearly every soul on board. After the crash, Whip is hailed as a hero, but as more is learned, more questions than answers arise as to who or what was really at fault and what really happened on that plane?

Starring:
Denzel Washington
John Goodman
Don Cheadle
Melissa Leo
Bruce Greenwood

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1907668/

Written by John Gatins
Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Running Time= 138 minutes

The Budget is Reportedly $31M

Last edited by DJariya; 11-01-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Re: Flight -- The Reviews Thread -- Dir: Robert Zemeckis/Star: Denzel Washington

I saw the trailer somewhere and I thought of Crichton's Airframe, but your synopsis is very different so I guess it's not the same.
Old 11-01-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,695 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Re: Flight -- The Reviews Thread -- Dir: Robert Zemeckis/Star: Denzel Washington

I'm over all the Star Wars talk. This opens tomorrow and I'm off from work, so I plan to see it.
Old 11-01-12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This actually interests me so...probably going to see it next week.
Old 11-01-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

83% on RT. Ebert gave it 4 stars.
Old 11-02-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and were given two tickets to the Preview at the AMC in Downtown Seattle.

28 Days meets Airport?

Denzel did his normal awesome job, one of my favorite all-time actors. He plays a great good/bad guy in the movie.

Loved the music in the movie, well placed elevator music toward the end of the movie. When I told my wife what the song was, both of us laughed.

For very serious movie, there was a good amount of humor that actors brought out using just simple looks or some over the top performances by John Goodman (he stole every scene he was in, in funny ways).

My dad was a pilot in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, he also flew once he got out of the USAF. So, I was grew around respectable pilots which may have tweaked my attitude toward the movie.

The whole theater was full of people who received free tickets, so a mother had to bring her 4 1/2 or 5 year child to the movie. This also tweaked me, had an attitude toward this mother I have never meet before.

-Full Frontal nudity for the first 5 min of the movie
-Tons of Drinking and Drugs
-Choice words throughout the movie

Stuff no 5 year old should see of hear.

The movie diffidently earned it Rated R. Would not want my teenage son to go see the movie.

Very good movie to see for free on a date with my wife, not great movie to pay full price for. Maybe a matinee price would be OK to pay.

***ARGO was a much more entertaining movie.
Old 11-02-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Very good movie to see for free on a date with my wife
Is she available this Sunday afternoon?
Old 11-02-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Full frontal nudity?
Old 11-02-12, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sunday is taken i see. Is she available for Monday, late afternoon?
Old 11-02-12, 11:33 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Zemeckis' return to live action. I'm in
Old 11-02-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

I'll catch the screening at the Aero with Zemeckis as a guest speaker.
Old 11-02-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Lou Lumenick gives this a 3-star review in the New York Post.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...JrrG60a5bAwFWP

The last few paragraphs, though, make it sound more like a 2&1/2 star review:

The beloved Oscar winner (for “Training Day’’) might even get you to buy the dubious suggestion that Whip might have managed his landing precisely because he was blitzed. But even he can’t sell one of the year’s most preposterous, schmaltzy and out-of-left-field endings.

It doesn’t help that Zemeckis — who devoted more than a decade on dubious projects with motion-capture “animation’’ like “The Polar Express’’ — doesn’t always seem to trust his star to put over the material.

As a result, we get cornball touches like Whip’s plane clipping a church steeple during his miracle landing, which narrowly misses an outdoor baptism. And a laughable scene where the mini-bar in an adjoining hotel suite almost literally calls out to Whip during a crucial evening.

To be fair, there are some very good things besides Washington’s committed performance — not many actors could deliver a line like, “Don’t tell me how to lie about my drinking!’’ the way he does — and that terrifying flight sequence.

There’s fine supporting work by John Goodman as Whip’s chipper cocaine supplier, Bruce Greenwood as his exasperated union rep/enabler and Melissa Leo, who ends up with little more than a glorified cameo at the NTSB hearing.

But it’s all those hokey touches that keep “Flight’’ from being a very good movie instead of a very entertaining one.
Old 11-02-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really enjoyed the movie, but thought that Goodman's role was too light for a movie this dark.

Nadine Velazquez
Old 11-03-12, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Full frontal nudity?
Nadine Velazquez
Old 11-03-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Nadine Velazquez
Sofia from The League? You gotta be shittin me. That chick is smokin.
Old 11-03-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, plus Catalina from My Name Is Earl.
Old 11-03-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if I should see this in theater or wait for egotastic...
Old 11-03-12, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In times when crap like Argo passes for great cinema, it's refreshing to see a movie for grownups that is so professionally made and precisely directed. And by precise I mean that editing, framing and movement of the camera is specifically motivated. None of that cheap and psuedo-artistic "cinema verite" funkily edited wobbly-cam crap. This is a real movie made by real professionals.

Probably Denzel's best performance. Everyone in this movie is excellent.

It's probably a bit too cliched and commercially-minded in some aspects for me to give it the very highest marks or call it an instant classic or anything but it's still an excellent film the kind of which don't come around very often these days.
Old 11-03-12, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
In times when crap like Argo passes for great cinema, it's refreshing to see a movie for grownups that is so professionally made and precisely directed. And by precise I mean that editing, framing and movement of the camera is specifically motivated. None of that cheap and psuedo-artistic "cinema verite" funkily edited wobbly-cam crap. This is a real movie made by real professionals.

It's probably a bit too cliched and commercially-minded in some aspects for me to give it the very highest marks or call it an instant classic or anything but it's still an excellent film the kind of which don't come around very often these days.
Old 11-03-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Read my wife my review and the responses to it, she thought the responses were great - made her laugh.
Old 11-03-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strevlac

okay.
Old 11-03-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

I knew I recognized that naked woman from somewhere! Her body was well worth the wait.

Saw it. Overall, a good movie with great acting. Felt a little slow at times, and almost like The Artist in that you started to lose sympathy for the main character as he continued to spiral out of control and act like an ass to all around him. Still, worth a viewing. Who was the cancer patient in the stairwell? He did a great job with the little time he had.
Old 11-03-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cancer patient was James Badge Dale, formerly of "The Pacific" and "Rubicon" on TV. The first 5 minutes were pretty choice. Mrs. Watson (Kelly Reilly) wasn't bad either.
Old 11-04-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

I can't believe that this is my first Zemeckis movie in theaters. But not a bad way to start, I really enjoyed it.
Old 11-04-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I can't believe that this is my first Zemeckis movie in theaters. But not a bad way to start, I really enjoyed it.
Seriously? Gump? Back to the Future? Roger Rabbit?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.