Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

We Need To Talk About Kevin -- 12/2/11 -- D: Ramsey S: John C Reilly, Tilda Swinton

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

We Need To Talk About Kevin -- 12/2/11 -- D: Ramsey S: John C Reilly, Tilda Swinton

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: We Need To Talk About Kevin -- 12/2/11 -- D: Ramsey S: John C Reilly, Tilda Swint

Really good movie, deserves all the praise it's getting. Rotten Tomatoes' consensus sums it up perfectly:

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a masterful blend of drama and horror, with fantastic performances across the board (Tilda Swinton especially, delivering one of her very best).

Will be picking this up on blu.
Old 02-12-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: We Need To Talk About Kevin -- 12/2/11 -- D: Ramsey S: John C Reilly, Tilda Swint

One of the worst things to think about after seeing this movie, is realizing that Tilda didn't get an Oscar nomination for it.
Old 02-12-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
One of the worst things to think about after seeing this movie, is realizing that Tilda didn't get an Oscar nomination for it.
x2
Old 02-13-12, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Will be picking this up on blu.
Loved the film, but I am definitely passing on the blu. The film was just too damn dark. When she
Spoiler:
gets home and find her husband and daughter in the backyard 'bow-and-arrowed' to death
I was in some small state of shock.

A well made film and Tilda Swinton continues to take on interesting projects (what other well known actress will take part in a matter-of-fact blowjob scene besides Chloe Sevigny?). Julia was another masterful performance from her.
Old 02-13-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love the ROSEMARY'S BABY inspired poster...

Old 02-13-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this to be a quite powerful film that really had an impact on me.

Terrific performances. John C Reilly is simply brilliant at acting. How many other actors in the entire history of film can do all the things he does at such a high level? Not many. Tilda, the goofy weirdo she is, delivers one of, if not her best performance. And that's really saying something considering her body of work.
Old 02-13-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Agreed.

Especially considering Streep got yet another nom.
Old 02-13-12, 12:24 PM

Movie looks really interesting!
Old 02-13-12, 12:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

another movie which never got a DC theatrical play date. this also happened to the critically acclaimed 'Ratcatcher' film.

Last edited by Giles; 02-13-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 01:11 PM

I dunno if I will see this.
Old 02-13-12, 03:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
another movie which never got a DC theatrical play date. this also happened to the critically acclaimed 'Ratcatcher' film.
By the same director, too. Although her best is still Morvern Callar.
Old 02-14-12, 02:08 AM

Watched this the other night and though it was a really good movie. All the performances were excellent, especially Swinton. It was a tough watch, and had some scenes that have stuck with me. Shame it didn't get much recognition
Old 02-14-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched this the other night and I was far frm impressed, especially considering the strong word of mouth this film has received. The performances were good, I suppose, but the movie didn't move or shock me in any way. You can see every twist and turn coming from a mile away, and when they got there I was left thinking 'that's it?'.
Old 02-14-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't really think there was anything intended to be "twist" about the ending
Spoiler:
except perhaps that Kevin killed his father and sister, if that's what you're referring to

People seem to have polar opposite opinions on this one in loving or hating it.
Old 02-14-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
I watched this the other night and I was far frm impressed, especially considering the strong word of mouth this film has received. The performances were good, I suppose, but the movie didn't move or shock me in any way. You can see every twist and turn coming from a mile away, and when they got there I was left thinking 'that's it?'.
Spoiler:
It really wasn't a twist. I thought the way the story was told was very well done. I've read criticism that this movie was too on the nose, meaning that they showed that he was too "evil" or whatnot. I saw it in the sense, and I think the storytelling technique backs me up, that what we saw were Tilda's (possibly distorted?) memories of Kevin. It's not to say the movie is a fantasy, though it is not grounded in reality, but that we saw the flashbacks after the horrific event. So the flashback scenes were in essence Tilda's selective memory picking up on scenes where Kevin did horrible things. In this situation, there's always the "why didn't the parents see this coming?" and in this, it's interesting because we do, as the audience, and so does Tilda but John C. Reilly's character does not pick up any of it. Obviously, he is ignorant but I don't think Kevin was as horrible as portrayed because we saw Tilda's cherry-picked memories/flashbacks to try to make sense of it all.

That's the way I think about it and it makes much more sense.
Old 03-05-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally released in the D.C. area this week.
Old 03-05-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Was about to say the same thing Daytripper. This and Rampart are finally here....right in the middle of finals week for me. Fuck!
Old 06-05-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got around to watching the BD copy I was sent a while back.

I thought this was a powerful and emotionally devastating film. It's like a more realistic version of "The Omen" in some ways. I can understand how many of Kevin's actions could be seen as ridiculous to the point that they'd never be so easily overlooked, but I also bought into his ability to manipulate.

Swinton's performance was nothing short of incredible, and I agree it's ridiculous that she wasn't nominated for an Oscar. Her emotions were palpable, and I found myself tensing up during certain scenes where she would. Her life post-incident is more depressing than watching Requiem for a Dream on an endless loop.

I did think it was a bit odd that the dad couldn't see what she was seeing, but I also took it as him being an old-school hippie type who didn't spend much time in deep thought; he just lived life by the seat of his pants. Kevin found him to be easily manipulated, so it was all just a big game.
Old 06-05-12, 12:49 PM

Watched this the other night. It was one of those films that I recognize as a good film and the performances were great but it was not a movie for me, like Shame. Just nothing good to me about watching stuff like that.
I kept waiting for a twist because it was obvious from the start how it was going to go except for using arrows, that was not expected.
I love Tilda and find her mesmerizing in everything I see her in. She really has been overlooked far too often for an Oscar.
Old 06-12-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Very disturbing film. Something I don't ever want to sit through again just based on the story. Thought Swinton gave an award (nominated) worthy performance. And no, Kevin is the one who deserved to go to jail. They should have shipped his sorry ass off to military school when he was younger.
Or maybe she should have been more loving and hugged him more often like she did with his sister.

One question?

Spoiler:
Did he hit his sister with one of his arrows or did she find something from the cabinet when she damaged her eye?

After that I had no sympathey for the kid.
Old 06-12-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the impression that he either damaged her eye somehow with a household chemical, or she had some other mishap that was glossed over for the sake of establishing a pattern quickly.
Old 06-12-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my favorite movie of this year so far. I say this year because I saw it in a theater this year so whatever. Everyone turns in great performances and there's a sense of uneasiness that permeates throughout the whole film. Another thing I liked about the movie that I haven't seen get a lot of notice here is the soundtrack. The song "Everyday" playing during that one scene where Tilda Swinton is driving around and all the kids are running around in their Halloween costumes is creepier than a lot of supposed horror movies that come out today.
Old 06-29-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Just watched it and thought it was great. I generally hate Swinton but thought she was pretty good. I've done alot of reading over the years of profiles of school shooters or kids deemed truly "psychotic" and i thought what Kevin displayed was pretty textbook of case studies I've read. I don't think Riley's charecter was oblivious, Kevin was just truly an evil kid who was good at manipulating people. Someone even posted an article in the other forum about a kid that was exactly like Kevin. Was a good read.
Old 06-29-12, 08:02 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate these cocksucking pretentious movie titles like Incredibly Loud, Extremely Close.
Old 06-29-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's too bad this is already out on home video. That would've been a great quote for the cover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.