Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stage plays (ref. Wicked).

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stage plays (ref. Wicked).

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Stage plays (ref. Wicked).

I love the score too ("Our Time"--devastating), but this is one of the handful of Sondheim shows I've never seen on the stage. I saw Pacific Overtures in the Bay Area, Follies here in Seattle, even the infamous "gay" Company that was shut down. But MRWA, Saturday Night, Anyone Can Whistle, Bounce/Road Show, Marry Me a Little (doesn't really count) have never shown in my vicinity. I loved the showing of Company and would love to see this.

I just checked Fandango and it's playing in my neighborhood!

The funny thing is that I was thinking of bumping this thread myself because of the recent clip of Kristin Chenoweth and Anna Kendrick (then Sarah Ball went viral), who does an admirable job--no Idina, for sure, but she was live and nervous. I saw Chenoweth in concert here, and she did the same thing of inviting an audience member (two in my case, one good, one barely audible) to sing For Good with her. I don't know the story behind the Kendrick appearance, but it makes for good speculation about movie casting (obviously she wouldn't be matched with Chenoweth because of age difference).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SEdnIvnCko8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Ok, I know there are at least one or two other Stephen Sondheim fans here, so I thought I'd revive this thread to share this. It looks like the highly acclaimed recent London production of Merrily We Roll Along will be screening in theaters across the US next month: This is kind of a dream come true - for a while I was actually playing with the idea of flying to London just to see this. I love the score to MWRA, but I have yet to see a production of it that didn't leave me really disappointed. By most accounts, this is the best production of the show ever. Even those who weren't sold on the show in the past, like the New York Times' Ben Brantley, seemed to love it.

You can see which theaters will be showing it here.

And, like a lot of people, I really wish they could do this for a lot more shows after they end their Broadway (or West End) runs.
It's only playing at one theater in New York City. And one showing only. $15 a ticket + $1.50 convenience fee. I'm surprised it hasn't sold out yet. I'm curious, but not enough to actually buy a ticket.
Old 09-07-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Reserved my MWRA tix!