Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I can't think of another example like this.
Robert Altman had a solid and prolific run late in life--from THE PLAYER to PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION--after a roughly 12-year period of keeping a comparatively low (but still relatively busy) profile.
Old 05-16-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

Ridley Scott had a decent pace for 20 years but has been constant for the last 10.
Old 05-16-13, 01:04 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Love me some Malick voiceover narration.

"Love of all loves, where do you go to fill my heart with such love? Bright, profound, lovey...where were you? Why did this love not swallow me whole?"
Old 05-16-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Love me some Malick voiceover narration.

"Love of all loves, where do you go to fill my heart with such love? Bright, profound, lovey...where were you? Why did this love not swallow me whole?"
I prefer Orson Welles' voiceover in THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI:
"Maybe some day I'll forget her. Maybe I'll die trying."
Old 02-11-14, 05:53 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

While there has been nothing but radio silence for Terrence Malick‘s next two dramas since last summer’s debut of the first still for Knight of Cups, a new film has afforded a bit of insight into their respective futures. Premiering at Sundance Film Festival was The Better Angels (our review), a biopic on the early life of Abraham Lincoln what was produced by Malick and directed by his frequent collaborator A.J. Edwards.

When we sat down with the helmer at the festival, we discussed Malick’s specific involvement in the film, and much more, but with the film now stopping by Berlin, we have an update on the forthcoming features. During the film’s press conference, Edwards revealed that both Knight of Cups and the currently untitled Austin-set drama will see screens this year. Check out this full quote below:

“Terrence Malick was always a phone call away. He was shooting his two pictures at the time, that’ll be released this year. He was most important in the beginning of the project, the origins of it, mostly through conversations, while we were editing The Tree of Life together. This is before the treatment and the screenplay, just talking about an approach and production fundamentals, what the meaning is; The Better Angels being his two mothers that guided him to immortality through their goodness. Because of his other pictures he wasn’t on set or in the cutting room, because of his other obligations, but his friendship and his encouragement is long-lasting and so important in the film.”

Considering the current lack of distribution, we have to glean that he means they are ready to premiere at a festival, rather than see an actual release, but this is fantastic news. When it comes to the work of Malick, one never quite knows when they’ll see the light of day, but we’re glad our wishful thinking that they’ll initially premiere this year will come true.

The first film he shot, Knight of Cups, stars Christian Bale as a depressed writer-type in the story that looks at celebrities and excess. Depending on how the editing went, the ensemble may or may not include Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Wes Bentley, Freida Pinto, Isabel Lucas, Imogen Poots, Teresa Palmer, Shea Whigham, Antonio Banderas, Joe Manganiello and Ryan O’Neal.

The other film, which is led by Ryan Gosling, follows two intersecting love triangles exploring sexual obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas, and may include Portman, Bale, Blanchett, Michael Fassbender, Rooney Mara, Val Kilmer, Benicio Del Toro, Boyd Holbrook, Berenice Marlohe and Holly Hunter. So, we suppose we can expect one or both to turn up at either Cannes or the fall festival circuit this year. As for The Better Angels, it’s currently seeking U.S. distribution.
Old 04-17-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

This is gonna be called "Weightless". If anyone wants to change the title.
Old 04-18-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadm
This is gonna be called "Weightless". If anyone wants to change the title.
No doubt that many critics will be calling it that as well.
Old 04-18-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Weightless (D: Malick) S: Gosling, Bale, Portman - Austin Music Scene Project

I love how it says it MAY include those actors.
Old 05-24-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Untitled Austin Music Scene Project (D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Bale, Portma

For those that still care

Official Runtime, Cast List For Terrence Malick’s ‘Weightless’ Revealed

http://theplaylist.net/official-runt...medium=twitter
Old 05-24-16, 12:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Untitled Austin Music Scene Project (D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Bale, Portma

For those too lazy to read the link - 145 min 5 sec per the British Film Board. Makes me wonder if we'll see a shorter cut in the States, and a longer cut on blu/4K/digital, etc etc.
Old 01-03-17, 10:22 AM

re: Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman, Bale

After making just five movies between 1973 and 2011, Terrence Malick has released three more in the last few years. Despite being comparatively prolific in this most recent phase of his career, the media-shy filmmaker still manages to make each new work feel like an event unto itself.

IndieWire can exclusively confirm the new title and release date of his latest film: “Song to Song,” which Broad Green Pictures will release on March 17, 2017. (The film has previously been referred to as “Weightless.”) Check out a first-look photo above.

Here’s the premise: “In this modern love story set against the Austin, Texas music scene, two entangled couples — struggling songwriters Faye (Rooney Mara) and BV (Ryan Gosling), and music mogul Cook (Michael Fassbender) and the waitress whom he ensnares (Natalie Portman) — chase success through a rock ‘n’ roll landscape of seduction and betrayal.”

In addition to the main quartet, a number of musicians appear as well: Patti Smith, Lykke Li, the Black Lips, Iggy Pop, Florence and the Machine, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Considering Fabio briefly appeared in last year’s “Knight of Cups,” that sounds about right.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/son...te-1201760632/
Old 01-03-17, 01:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman, Ba

Austin Douches would be a more apt title.
Old 01-03-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman, Ba

I wonder if this will be akin to To The Wonder and Knight of Cups where there was only a loose script and they just shot a ton of footage and kind of made it up as they went along or if it'll be more like Radegund (Malick's next film) where they have a real script and are shooting it more conventionally with a shot list and schedule for the day where they know exactly what their set up's are.
Old 01-04-17, 05:41 AM

It's a loose script.
Old 02-17-17, 12:56 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V9t4SKWryWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman

As much as I disliked To the Wonder & Knight of Cups, I'll still watch this (once the blu is less than $10 of course).

God I hate myself.
Old 02-17-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman

glad he's moving on from the no script thing after this. I really liked Knight of Cups. But he's really pushed it as far as its gonna go.
Old 03-13-17, 10:14 AM

This played at SXSW. No surprise, the reviews aren't very good. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/song_to_song

Some I did read say it was the best of the "no script" type of films he has done.

It opens in NY and LA this week.

Also, this was a very good profile article on Malick in Texas Monthly.
The Not-So-Secret Life of Terrence Malick http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cult...rrence-malick/
Old 03-13-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Malick's style is pretty easy to duplicate. Just take a bunch of sweeping shots of some event or scenery and have actors speak whatever thoughts come to mind.

Seems like after Dragon Tattoo Mara has pretty much played hipster girlfriend roles.
Old 03-13-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I will just put on Badlands instead.
Old 04-06-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Earlier this month, after Terrence Malick’s “Song to Song” debuted to very low numbers during its opening weekend, IndieWire asked film critics if audiences had finally lost their patience with the auteur director. It’s an understandable question given how polarizing Malick’s style has become in the years after “The Tree of Life.” His fragmented, wandering vision in “Song to Song” even forced some of his biggest advocates to question the direction of his career.

While Malick will never just abandon all of his trademark flourishes, it appears he’s finally going back to more structured storytelling with his next film. Rumor had it that “Radegund,” a WWII drama about conscientious objector Franz Jägerstätter, would be Malick’s most narrative-minded film in years, and the director outright confirmed it during a chat at Washington D.C.’s Air and Space Museum earlier this week.

“Lately – I keep insisting, only very lately – have I been working without a script and I’ve lately repented the idea,” the director said. “The last picture we shot, and we’re now cutting, went back to a script that was very well ordered.”

Malick further elaborated on his storytelling when he weighed the pros and cons of his unorthodox approach as seen in films like “Knight of Cups” and “To The Wonder.” Malick may like working without a script due to the freedom it gives his actors, but he’s well aware of the challenges it poses on a broader scale.

“There’s a lot of strain when working without a script because you can lose track of where you are,” he said. “It’s very hard to coordinate with others who are working on the film. Production designers and location managers arrive in the morning and don’t know what we’re going to shoot or where we’re going to shoot. The reason we did it was to try and get moments that are spontaneous and free.”

He continued, “As a movie director, you always feel with a script that you’re trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. And with no script, there’s no round hole, there’s just air. But I’m backing away from that style now.”

“Radegund,” which is now in post-production, will head to the Cannes market in May to try and secure international distribution. Malick purists may be upset by his return to a more structured narrative, but it’s a decision that could easily win back over fans who have grown restless with him.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/ter...le-1201802506/

Here's an extensive biographical article about the reclusive Malick: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cult...rrence-malick/
Old 04-07-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed Knight of Cups quite a bit. But I've gotta admit I'm relieved to hear Radegund will have a tighter narrative. Hearing that however, makes me wonder what Tree of Life could have been had it not strayed from the script as much as it did. Sean Penn said its the best script he's ever read but that it wasn't what ended up on the screen. Also, I'm always sort of mystified when he Malick speaks, even in print.
Old 04-07-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
makes me wonder what Tree of Life could have been had it not strayed from the script as much as it did.
Same here, Tree of Life has so many wonderful moments but overall it just didn't do it for me. It also makes me wonder what could have. Sean Penn is barely in the movie and from what I heard he originally had a much bigger role. Oh well, let's hope with Radegund we get the Badlands/Days of Heaven/Thin Red Line Malick.
Old 04-07-17, 06:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Same here, Tree of Life has so many wonderful moments but overall it just didn't do it for me. It also makes me wonder what could have. Sean Penn is barely in the movie and from what I heard he originally had a much bigger role. Oh well, let's hope with Radegund we get the Badlands/Days of Heaven/Thin Red Line Malick.
If you look around there is an early draft of Tree of Life online. I read it back when imdb had this useful thing called a message board.

It differed very little from the finished film. The biggest difference was that late in the script, just before the depiction of the afterlife, was a description of a montage similar to the creation of life sequence earlier in the film. It's a sort of death of the Earth sequence made up of news clips and documentary footage of ecological disaster, war, pollution, etc.

So as scripted the film would have three acts; prologue, life in 1950s Texas, and afterlife, divided by two abstract montage sequences. Everything else was pretty similar. I think Penn just wishes that segment had been done because he is an environmentalist.
Old 04-07-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite Malick film is still POCKET MONEY (1972), a modern western comedy starring Paul Newman and Lee Marvin that Malick scripted but was directed by Stuart Rosenberg, scored by Alex North and photographed by Laszlo Kovacs. It had a great theme song written and performed by Carole King.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.