Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of 'Blade Runner'

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I'm not a fan of the Deckard-as-replicant thing and was disappointed that Scott went so heavy-handed towards that interpretation in the Final Cut. He went so far as to give Ford the little eye-flares (I assume through CGI) that only replicants in the movie have.

It begs the question.. why could all the other replicants kick his ass so hard if he was also a replicant? But aside from that, to me it just kills any possible meaning the film has, any discovery he as a human being has made about the value of life and love, and kills all of the meaning from the replicant choosing to save his life in the end. Making Deckard a replicant is a cheap Shyamalan-style plot twist. I just chalk it up to Scott being a very good director, but not a very intellectual one.
And that there is why Harrison Ford doesn't like Blade Runner or Ridley Scott.
Old 05-31-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Deckard-as-replicant thing and was disappointed that Scott went so heavy-handed towards that interpretation in the Final Cut. He went so far as to give Ford the little eye-flares (I assume through CGI) that only replicants in the movie have.
It's been awhile since I've watched all the cuts, but I'm 99% sure that there is at least one scene in Deckard's apartment, at least as far back as the '92 Director's Cut, where Deckard has the red eye flash momentarily. It's possible Scott added more instances in the Final Cut, but if so, I don't remember.
Old 05-31-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I agree partially with Burnt's post...the fact that Deckard is (or may be) a replicant does more for the viewer than it does for the character. Perhaps that's why Scott wanted it that way.
Old 05-31-12, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deckard had those in the kitchen sink scene back in 1982.

It begs the question.. why could all the other replicants kick his ass so hard if he was also a replicant?
They were Nexus 6. Like Sebastian says, they are "different. Perfect." Rachael is also a Replicant. Would she be able to kick Leon, Roy, Pris or Zhora's ass?
Old 05-31-12, 03:54 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It begs the question.. why could all the other replicants kick his ass so hard if he was also a replicant? But aside from that, to me it just kills any possible meaning the film has, any discovery he as a human being has made about the value of life and love, and kills all of the meaning from the replicant choosing to save his life in the end. Making Deckard a replicant is a cheap Shyamalan-style plot twist. I just chalk it up to Scott being a very good director, but not a very intellectual one.
Well said. First he starts messing with his original movie like Lucas with Star Wars, then he can't leave it alone and starts to revisit the same world again following Lucas's path nicely.
Old 05-31-12, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well the problem w/ that thought process is that we never really had an original version.

Original workprint version (1982, 113 minutes) shown to audience test previews in Denver and Dallas in March 1982. It was also seen in 1990 and 1991 in Los Angeles and San Francisco as a Director's Cut without the approval of director Ridley Scott. Negative responses to the test previews led to the modifications resulting in the US theatrical version, while positive response to the showings in 1990 and 1991 pushed the studio to approve work on an official director's cut. It was re-released as a 5-disc Ultimate Edition in 2007.

A San Diego Sneak Preview shown only once in May 1982, which was almost identical to the US theatrical version with three extra scenes .

The US theatrical version (1982, 116 minutes), known as the original version or Domestic Cut. This version was released on Betamax and VHS in 1983. This version remained unreleased on DVD until 2007 when it was released as part of the five-disc Ultimate Edition.

The International Cut (1982, 117 minutes) also known as the "Criterion Edition" or uncut version, included more violent action scenes than the US theatrical version. Although initially unavailable in the US and distributed in Europe and Asia via theatrical and local Warner Home Video laserdisc releases, it was later released on VHS and Criterion Collection laserdisc in North America, and re-released in 1992 as a "10th Anniversary Edition". Home Box Office broadcast this version to U.S. audiences in the 1980s and 1990s.

The US broadcast version (1986, 114 minutes), the US theatrical version edited for violence, profanity, and nudity by CBS to meet broadcast restrictions.

The Ridley Scott-approved Director's Cut (1992, 116 minutes); prompted by the unauthorized 1990–1991 workprint theatrical release and made available on VHS and laserdisc in 1993, and on DVD in 1997. Significant changes from the theatrical version include: removal of Deckard's voice-over, insertion of a unicorn sequence and removal of the epilogue scene showing Rachel and Deckard driving through green, mountainous landscapes. Ridley did provide extensive notes and consultation to Warner Bros. through film preservationist Michael Arick who was put in charge of creating the Director's Cut.[7]

Ridley Scott's Final Cut (2007, 117 minutes), or the "25th Anniversary Edition", released by Warner Bros. theatrically on October 5, 2007 and subsequently released on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray in December 2007 (UK December 3; US December 18). This is the only version over which Ridley Scott had complete artistic control as the Director's Cut was rushed and he was not directly in charge. In conjunction with the Final Cut, extensive documentary and other materials were produced for the home video releases culminating in a five-disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" release by Charles de Lauzirika.
and if you want the specific details on what's in them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version...ase_.281982.29

The Theatrical Cut we got wasn't his cut (I also don't like that cut). We honestly didn't get his cut till the FC. And for the most part the "DC" of it.

This is a lot more complicated than Lucas' bs. Lucas owns Star Wars, Scott didn't and doesn't. So technically speaking...Ridley never got to personally mess w/ it till most recently.

Don't ask me wtf Lucas' thought process is w/ SW. He didn't really do to SW what BR had to have. What Lucas did to SW. Didn't change it all that much in terms of point A to point B, etc. He added fluff and slightly tinkered stuff about (which oddly enough did heavily impact characters but not the narrative in terms of mission). BR is a different beast w/ those cuts.
Old 05-31-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

A little off topic...but I really hope with movies like Blade Runner 2 and Prometheus, we'll see a return to more "thoughful, intelligent" science-fiction. Even the Star Trek movies have turned to whiz-bang fluff. So regardless of how this all turns out, I applaud Ridley for wanting to revisit this idea.
Old 05-31-12, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Star Trek has only itself to blame for that. It tried to hold onto the original tone left from TOS but also put big action moments, of the standard movie spectacle. It failed.

But yes, hopefully w/ a financial gain from Prometheus the studios will try to be more exciting or bold in getting serious scifi in there.
Old 05-31-12, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Star Trek failed? Huh? Star Trek was awesome.
Old 05-31-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
The real audience of the film is, afterall, made up of humans.
Not according to Ridley Scott ... not anymore.
Old 06-01-12, 01:01 AM
En vacance

Trek 09 was better than the SW prequels combined regardless how whiz-bang it was.
Old 09-12-12, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not exactly any kind of real update on the movie itself, but Vangelis was recently interviewed by Mojo for the October issue. It's great that Vangelis seems to be on board - provided Ridley wants him to. Personally, the music of Blade Runner elevated it to a whole other level for me. If Ridley were to actually make this sequel, he'd be crazy not to bring Vangelis back to score it again. The recent 3 disc release had Vangelis making a whole new disc of music inspired by the movie. It sounds so good it almost seems like they're alternate takes.

http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm

Mojo interview: Vangelis for Blade Runner 2 is "mainly up to Ridley"

Mojo published their promised Vangelis interview in their October issue, currently on sale in the UK and many other countries. The one and a half page article deals with topics like the '68 Student riots in Paris, the release of abstract works like Beaubourg and Invisible Connections and the music for the Chariots of Fire stage play.
The highlight no doubt is the question that has been on everyone's mind, about the upcoming sequel to "Blade Runner". Vangelis: "Ridley is a friend and a great director and it's mainly up to him. "
Old 09-13-12, 12:49 AM

Any truth to the rumor that Ridley is taking a long hiatus from filmmaking due to the sudden unexpected tragedy of TS?
Old 09-13-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Any truth to the rumor that Ridley is taking a long hiatus from filmmaking due to the sudden unexpected tragedy of TS?
I hadn't heard this. Obviously it wouldn't be unexpected. Perhaps he'll just be more involved in producing and not specifically directing for a little while. He hasn't made a great movie in decades, but I'm hoping he can at least deliver one last great film.
Old 09-13-12, 08:48 AM
Banned by request

Ridley strikes me as a guy who would actually do even more filmmaking as a way to cope and move on. I hadn't heard anything about him taking a hiatus either.
Old 09-13-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's working right now, so whose to say what he'll do once he's done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1851799.html

The guy is 74, he's either going to stop and probably retire or keep going.
Old 09-13-12, 11:21 AM

One of Blade Runner's biggest strength is its ambiguity. Although people swear that Deckard is or isn't a replicant, fact of the matter is that it's up for debate, and that's a great thing about the movie. So Ridley said Deckard is definitely a replicant. Well then he shouldn't have made such an ambiguous movie then!

We're not beaten over the head with anything, there are simply clues sprinkled everywhere. Who could pick up the eye flare thing on their first viewing and think it obvious that he's a replicant? Hell I think most people picked up on these clues by reading about them online. It's subtle and gives the movie depth.

That's why I'm nervous about a sequel, it's going to ruin that ambiguity. Alien had some ambiguity as well, and now Prometheus has taken that and turned it into even more unanswered questions that might be ruined by more sequels.

Including Ford would need explanation because he's obviously aged well past 4 years now. I love the idea of Vangelis returning. They were a big part of the tone in that movie, but are so quinessentially 80's that I'd be surprised if they weren't replaced by a traditional score.
Old 09-13-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, he made the first Blade Runner right after the death of his brother, Frank.
Old 09-13-12, 12:15 PM
En vacance

What about his marital status? This guy is fascinating and probably a lot of his filmmaking is shaped by personal stuff. As set designer in the 60s he even worked together with his brother to achieve his success.
Old 09-13-12, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Not sure if he's married to her, but he's been with Giannina Facio for a very long time. You've seen her in several of Scott's films, often doing cameos (Maximus' wife in Gladiator, Saladin's sister in Kingdom of Heaven, etc.)
Old 09-13-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Father: Francis Scott (shipping clerk)
Mother: Elizabeth Jean Scott (b. 1906, d. 2001)
Brother: Frank Scott (shipping captain, b. 1934, d. 1980 skin cancer)
Brother: Tony Scott (film director, b. 1944, d. 2012)
Wife: Felicity Heywood (journalist, m. Mar-1964, div. 1978, two children)
Son: Jake Scott (music video director, b. 1965 with Heywood)
Son: Luke Scott (music video director, b. 1968 with Heywood)
Wife: Sandy Watson (advertising executive, dated 1978-79, m. 1979, div. 1989, one child)
Daughter: Jordan Scott (commercial director, b. 1978 with Watson)
Girlfriend: Giannina Facio (actress-producer, b. 10-Sep-1955, dated 2000-)
Old 09-13-12, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Given how bad his output has been lately, it would be better if he stopped altogether.
Old 09-13-12, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Given how bad his output has been lately, it would be better if he stopped altogether.

It would be even better if you didn't follow-up discussion with random posts like this.

Yes tre, he is still with Facio and no they are not actually married at this time.
Old 09-13-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Old 09-13-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
It would be even better if you didn't follow-up discussion with random posts like this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.