Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Riddick 3

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
count me among those who loved Pitch Black and thought Chronicles was a piece of shit.
Old 04-23-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure what to think from that script review. I was expecting a lot more of the underverse story but I guess the budget is really limited. And throwing in some tough mercs and 200 f-bombs still hasn't convinced me it'll work. Main reason I liked pitch black was the cgi creatures and their scary screeching. If they can reproduce something like that, cool.
Old 04-24-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

The review made it seem like the mercs play fodder to Riddick's stalker/slasher approach this go around. I liked those bits in the first movie. Especially when the chick from Farscape (Claudia Black?)
Spoiler:
killed a fellow survivor, thinking he was Riddick, when in fact Riddick was casually watching from a distance.
Old 08-17-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.moviehole.net/201143902-e...r-descriptions

”Riddick” , writer/director David Twohy’s long-awaited second sequel to ”Pitch Black”, is finally headed before the cameras with Vin Diesel back under the shades as the intergalactic rebel rouser.

Heard today that casting has begun, with casting director Anne McCarthy, who cast “Pitch Black” and “Chronicles of Riddick” but also James Wan’s “Insidious”, bringing in actors to test for the supporting roles. I know one of the actors going in for the film – not too difficult to work out who – and everything he/she has been told so far is that it’s an exciting project with big-time potential.

------------

It gets spoiler-y after that.

Me: Glad to see them return to form after getting a little too full of themselves with Chronicles.
Old 08-17-11, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: New Riddick movie in the works

Chronicles wasn't bad, but a step backwards to what was established in Pitch Black. I loved the horror element that disappeared in Chronicles. But I am hyped to see Riddick back in action and hopefully with a story in the vein of Pitch Black. This is the franshise I don't really tire of, unlike Fast and the Furrys - which aren't bad, but I'll take Riddick over Dominic any day of the week. Riddick would kick Dominic's ass.
Old 08-17-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Chronicles of Riddick was an entertaining movie. However, it didn't feel like it existed in the same universe as Pitch Black. Even Riddick himself felt like a totally different character.
Old 08-17-11, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Spoilers be damned, but in writing, this sounds like the sequel we originally wanted. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Spoiler:
The script for the film, which is a more tighter, intimate and suspenseful ride than the previous film in the series (”Chronicles of Riddick”), might just be perfect – but I won’t be reviewing it, just giving you the heads up on what Twohy’s got in store for us and my take on it.

In a nutshell, the movie sees Riddick back on a barren planet, surrounded by monsters and mercenaries – both species who want him dead and vice versa.
Though there’s a couple of potential cameos from previous Riddick movie faves, it’s mostly fresh blood this time surrounding the big guy. And speaking of fresh, the character seems to have gotten a welcome, kick-ass overhaul….he’s more brutal, bad-ass and virile (as some may say) than he was in the previous films.

There’s a real sense of fun here. The dialogue is delicious and the characters are not only memorable, they’re a blast to be around – particularly our hero whose discovered both a charming sense of humour and personality along the way.

More so, ”Riddick” is a direct sequel to ”Pitch Black” – the events tie into that film. In much the same way the upcoming ”Dark Knight Rises” will tie up any loose threads and plot points from Batman Begins, Riddick will return to the mystery and monsters at the centre of ”Pitch Black.” That’s a good thing because, let’s admit it, the original rocked.. the sequel sucked.

Not to say there isn’t a link to the last Riddick adventure.

After a brief introduction in which were reunited with Riddick, surrounded by monsters, on a barren planet… we flash back to how Riddick ended up there.

We meet LORD MARSHAL Riddick. Nobody much likes that Riddick’s royalty now (he loves it; he gets to screw hot chicks) – as evident by the assassins that try and take him out at any and every opportunity – especially the necromancers, who are dead against the anointment of a furyan as a leader.

In exchange for the title, Riddick’s reluctant right-hand man and necro Vaako (Karl Urban’s character from the previous film; Urban will likely do it since the character is only in it for a short while) agrees to drop Riddick off at his home, Furya.

One thing leads to another and, much like the first film, Riddick finds himself stranded on a monster-infested planet. Instead of it leading to a rescue mission, his distress beacon catches the attention of a couple of merc teams (it would seem Vaako had dispatched them to kill Riddick while he’s isolated; not entirely true) who go after him with ill intentions.
One of the teams is lead by someone connected to an old enemy… someone from ”Pitch Black”.

*SPOILER*

Someone with the surname ‘Johns’.
Boss Johns and subordinate Santana ultimately get their hands on Riddick and shackle him up where they plan on torturing (Santana, with his machete) and killing him. But before then, Boss Johns wants answers – mostly, he wants to know what really happened to his son – William J. Johns (Cole Hauser in Pitch Black), who, with his prisoner Riddick, crash landed on an alien planet and (unlike Riddick) didn’t return. Knowing Boss Johns will never believe what happened to his son (indistinguishable monsters), Riddick snaps back with a cheeky retort involving felacio.

*END SPOILER *
Old 08-17-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Solid Snake PAC posting in 3....2....1
Old 08-17-11, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may sound surprising but...I've only seen about the last 20-25 mins of PB. That was solid stuff...though somewhat confusing cuz I never saw the rest of it. And whenever it's on TV...it's always at the end. Hated Chronicles, that was too stupid.

Didn't we have an old thread on this subject already?
Old 08-17-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Solid Snake PAC posting in 3....2....1
He's totally game for it being solid.
Old 08-17-11, 04:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I wish they would stop trying to cram this character down our throats. He/it's not as popular as they think he/it is.
Old 08-17-11, 04:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved Pitch black and Chronicles. I'm obviously in for this.

That article makes it seem like the person who's doing the casting is good, even if she did cast Insidious.
Old 08-17-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I wish they would stop trying to cram this character down our throats. He/it's not as popular as they think he/it is.
This was part of the problem with Chronicles. Pitch Black worked in no small part becasue it was an ensemble piece. You could even argue that Radha Mitchell had a a larger part than Diesel. The character of Ridick doesn't really have enough meat to it to build an entire movie around. Certainly not one with as many problems as chronicles had. Which could never get out of the bog of its cheesy Sci-Fi trappings.

That said, I still think it could work if they get back to what made PB successful. No nonsense action/horror with a strong ensemble cast. Lose the Space Opera/Star Wars pseudo Sci-Fi.
Old 08-17-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Judging by the replies I'd say you're in the minority on that one, bubba.

The fundamental problem with Chronicles is it changed Riddick. In PB, he was trying to survive. There was nothing complicated about him. Johns proved to be the psychotic one.

In Chronicles, they made him complicated and got him involved in the fight, rather than someone just trying to get out alive. I've seen this mistake in pro wrestling so many times: a guy works as a heel villain, but the audience takes a liking to him so they make the guy a face and it doesn't work (Stone Cold Steve Austin, anyone?).

This movie looks like Riddick goes back to being a heel.

I'm surprised they didn't bring Jack back, and it's a shame they killed off Imam. I love Keith David in pretty much everything he's done.
Old 08-17-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
\ I've seen this mistake in pro wrestling so many times: a guy works as a heel villain, but the audience takes a liking to him so they make the guy a face and it doesn't work (Stone Cold Steve Austin, anyone?).
There are tons of examples in wrestling that prove your point, but Stone Cold Steve Austin is not it. Austin made a shit ton of money for WWE as a face, and pushed them to their biggest boom period ever. And it worked largely because they didn't change his caracter to make him a face, they just changed who he was fighting.

If there was ever an Austin turn that didn't work, it was when they tried to turn him back heel during the Invasion angle.
Old 08-17-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Love Pitch Black and Chronicles. Chronicles is a better movie in my opinion. They both a bit different but that is because it takes place in different times.

I wish they would have continued right after Chronicles, Diesel was a ruler of the rancho cucamangas...I wonder what happened. Hope Riddick 3 will explain that.

I'm surprised they didn't bring Jack back, and it's a shame they killed off Imam. I love Keith David in pretty much everything he's done.
Jack? You mean Kiera. She died in part II.
Old 08-17-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic

Jack? You mean Kiera. She died in part II.
Was she? It's been years since I saw the movie. I thought she was taken away but we never saw her die.

The girl they cast as Keira, Alexa Davalos, was
Old 08-17-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pitch Black was awesome. Chronicles was absolute shit. I'm interested but not overly excited.
Old 08-17-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There are tons of examples in wrestling that prove your point, but Stone Cold Steve Austin is not it. Austin made a shit ton of money for WWE as a face, and pushed them to their biggest boom period ever. And it worked largely because they didn't change his caracter to make him a face, they just changed who he was fighting.

If there was ever an Austin turn that didn't work, it was when they tried to turn him back heel during the Invasion angle.
Yeah you're right. Now The Road Warriors should NEVER have been faces.

Back to Riddick, now.
Old 08-17-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Was she? It's been years since I saw the movie. I thought she was taken away but we never saw her die.

The girl they cast as Keira, Alexa Davalos, was
Yeah she changed her name in Chronicles.

Spoiler:
Actually the Necromonger leader forgot his name; killed her.
Old 08-17-11, 09:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I enjoyed both movies tremendously, thought they both kicked ass. My wife didn't particularly care for Chronicles of Riddick when she first saw it years ago, but she hadn't seen Pitch Black so she had no background on who Riddick was. I showed her Pitch Black, then Chronicles of Riddick and she enjoyed both movies. I'm actually excited for another Riddick movie, I hope they make a solid effort on this one just like they did the first two. -kd5-
Old 08-17-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Skiddish, Toombs, real skiddish"!

Looking forward to a fourth and I hope they add another rave sequence to the blu-ray release!
Old 08-18-11, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Pitch Black was awesome and Chronicles was okay. Chronicles didnt' really feel like a sequel at all, it didn't even feel like the same universe, just a common character.

This third film sounds more like a sequel to PB and I hope they don't try to make the scale too big (ala Chronicles).

Maybe they should put this third movie inbetween the other two as far as the Riddick timeline goes.....or how about a prequel detailing how he got caught in the first place.
The end of Chronicles would take some explaining if he just goes back to being a man alone in the world.
Old 08-18-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

LOVE Pitch Black. I've tried to watch Chronicles twice and both times only got about 20 minutes in before yanking it out of the DVD player.
Old 08-18-11, 08:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ and ^^ Yep, I love Pitch Black and while I was able to get through Chronicles, I never get the urge to re-watch it.

Any love for the animated film? Iirc, it was fairly short and set between the two films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.