Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Old 12-04-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Riddick 3

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I really like the movies and cant wait for a squeekquel

The only reason I got that joke was becasue I saw a clip with Zack Levy on Today.

I never saw the second film, but it seemed popular. Glad to see a 3rd since the rest of his films seem very flat (except for FandF franchise).
Old 12-04-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed Chronicles, especially the ending. I'd be interested in another sequel.
Old 12-05-09, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to see it. Pitch Black was great. I was very disappointed in Chronicles when it came out, but a friend gave me the HD-DVD a few months ago, and I found the DC to be very enjoyable.
Old 12-05-09, 06:10 AM

Looking forward to this. I loved both films, although CoR has it's shortcomings I still found it enjoyable.
Old 12-05-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoyed both films, but I really dug Chronicles. I thought Twohy created an amazing universe replete with interesting characters, species, planets and scenarios. I've been wanting to see a sequel since it came out, so I hope they can get this off the ground.
Old 12-05-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The problem was they changed the essential nature of Riddick with 'Chronicles.' In PB, he was simply a survivor. The tag line, "Fight evil with evil," was totally wrong. Riddick wasn't evil, he was simply a cold-hearted survivor who did what he had to do to survive. I thought Johns was more evil.

With Riddick it was even more pronounced. Riddick, who just wanted to be left alone, was dragged into an intergalactic fight that by all rights he'd want nothing to do with. He certainly wasn't evil. Just ruthless.

Hope they get it right this time.
Old 12-05-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
The problem was they changed the essential nature of Riddick with 'Chronicles.' In PB, he was simply a survivor. The tag line, "Fight evil with evil," was totally wrong. Riddick wasn't evil, he was simply a cold-hearted survivor who did what he had to do to survive. I thought Johns was more evil.

With Riddick it was even more pronounced. Riddick, who just wanted to be left alone, was dragged into an intergalactic fight that by all rights he'd want nothing to do with. He certainly wasn't evil. Just ruthless.

Hope they get it right this time.
I always took the 'evil' classification as part of the in-series mythos.
Old 12-05-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
No Dame Judi Dench=No Sale!!11
Start in on the sauce a little early today did we?

Old 12-06-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Cool. Pitch Black is an awesome movie. Chronicles wasn't as good, but I still enjoyed it.
Old 02-12-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Vin Diesel signs up for another 'Riddick'
Thesp will also produce third installment for Universal
By TATIANA SIEGEL

Vin Diesel is going back to the future to topline and produce a third chapter in the "Chronicles of Riddick" franchise. Universal will handle domestic distribution on the sci-fi film, which is titled "Riddick." Lionsgate is selling international rights at the Berlin Film Festival.

David Twohy -- who wrote and directed the first two films in the series, "Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- will helm from a screenplay he penned.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. But insiders say the third outing will hew closer in tone to the cult hit "Pitch Black" and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits, which was the case with the critically panned "Chronicles of Riddick." Still, "Chronicles of Riddick" earned $116 million worldwide and spawned a successful vidgame series.

Dates are being worked out for "Riddick" so as not to overlap with Universal's fifth installment of "Fast and Furious," which will shoot sometime this year with Diesel onboard to star and produce.

Diesel and Samantha Vincent are producing "Riddick" through their One Race Films banner. Radar Films' Ted Fields is also producing.

Twohy most recently wrote and directed "A Perfect Getaway."
Old 02-12-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Focus on Character = We're Spending Less Money This Time
Old 02-12-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We're Spending Lots of Money =/= Good Movie

While I enjoyed Chronicles, I think PB was the better movie.
Old 02-12-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is the only good thing Diesel has carried on his own, so I'm game. I wonder how they're gonna handle the ending of Chronicles, though?
Old 02-13-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Are they just making Riddick 3 so he'll do another Fast and Furious?
Old 02-13-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think this is the only good thing Diesel has carried on his own, so I'm game. I wonder how they're gonna handle the ending of Chronicles, though?
Best if they pretend that Chronicles never took place IMO.
Old 02-13-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

I enjoyed Pitch Black a lot, but Chronicles was a real turd. Glad to hear they're going to back to the tone of PB.
Old 02-13-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't even really remember the plot of Chronicles, but I think I've only seen it once
Pitch Black on the other hand I've seen a few times and have even watched on tv when aimlessly channel surfing and see that it is on
Old 02-14-10, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I don't even really remember the plot of Chronicles, but I think I've only seen it once
the universe is being conquered by an advanced race called the "Necromongers" who worship an alternate dimension called the "underverse"

at the end of the movie, Riddick has killed the Necromonger leader and therefore inherits the Necromonger empire

there is a whole bunch of bullshit in there about Riddick being the last "Furian" and therefore destined to defeat the Necromongers, also there is a bounty hunter crew trying to bring in Riddick, also he runs into the other survivors from Pitch Black, but they all die. Also there is Judi Dench as an "Elemental"

frankly it's a mess. Weird to see classically trained actors like Colm Feore in such tripe
Old 02-14-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

I'd be interesting to see the time period either between PB and COR or before PB.
Old 02-14-10, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'd be interesting to see the time period either between PB and COR or before PB.
They should leave before PB alone, it would either have to be an adaptation of "Escape from Butcher Bay" or end up being a massive letdown compared to that story.
Old 02-14-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chronicles failed in large part due to a very stupid trailer (and showing one of the worst CGI moments in the movie, the crashing ship on Helion Prime). They moved too quickly from the scope of PB to TCoR. Had they move a little more slowly, this could have bene a great franchise. I'm hoping the 3rd try is the charm and brings back the intrigue of the character and the touches on the scope of the story in TCoR. For my money, PB still has the greatest crash sequence ever shown on film. That alone endears me to the movie, but it was quite fun for what it was. I think if they can tap into that and grow the movie just a bit, they have a winner.

Let's hope for the best. After all, it just HAS to be better than Fa5t and the Furiou5, right?
Old 02-15-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I love both Riddick films, my favorite is Chronicles, sad they moving away from that. Was so eager to see Vin Diesel being a necromanger king and leading armies and kicking ass lol Oh well.
Old 04-21-10, 10:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Script Review of The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking (hope they change that).

spoilers within i suppose.
Spoiler:
But hey, who knew? We're getting a sequel. Maybe the home video numbers proved that this franchise isn't ghosted out yet. But as the development of Riddick 3, as we've only known it to be called until this report, happened we've learned that its budget won't be anywhere near the cost of the '04 film. It looks like Twohy (who's back as director and screenwriter) is getting a bump up from the days of Pitch Black; the budget for Riddick 3 is likely to come in around $60 million. And with a lean and mean-ass 100-page script to raise interest from investors, one year out (give or take a quarter) from its likely start of filming The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking has the ingredients to get this franchise's engine retooled. The Riddick seen in Dead Man Stalking has trimmed off the fat of Chronicles and bulked himself up better than even his Pitch Black days. Shortly after Riddick finds his world fucked once again Twohy has the character say a line which encapsulates what went wrong with Riddick these past two movies and to put him in his current situation: he got civilized. He began to care too much about the people whose lives crossed his path. Well, what's caring too much to Riddick is different than you and me, but the point is made clear to the anti-hero: he's got to return back to being a predator, the baddest asshole in the universe, if he's to survive the trials in Dead Man Stalking -- and Hollywood. Back to basics. Back to killing.

Let's rewind for a moment and get back to the start of this story: when we see Riddick at the beginning of Dead Man Stalking he's a bloody battered mess, crawling for his life on the baked floor of an alien world. The predators native to this planet are circling in and waiting for death to come so they can feed at Riddick's corpse -- but he won't let them. Riddick realizes here that he's got to let what happened to him in Pitch Black and Chronicles go if he's to survive the next ten seconds, let alone get off this forsaken pit of hell.

But Twohy isn't forgetting what happened in The Chronicles of Riddick. In a flashback we get to find out how Riddick got to where he is and why he's messed up. I already like David Twohy because he's shown to be a smart guy with sci-fi, with Pitch Black's sightless alien flyers that only emerge during the dark of that planet's trinary eclipse, or the technology of Chronicles' Necromongers which uses dead people for faster-than-light communications. I was excited to see where Riddick was going in the sequel, if he was going to take the Necromonger army to the Underverse. And while the Underverse isn't mentioned once in Dead Man Stalking, I know that's because he doesn't have a nine-figure budget to burn this time around. But he could have just ignored what happened in Chronicles in Dead Man Stalking; he could have just explained Riddick losing his Necro army in a line and allude to events that took place off-camera.

He doesn't. We get a taste of what life was like for Riddick after killing the Lord Marshal. Vaako, Karl Urban's Necromonger, is Riddick's right-hand man and loyal to him -- to a point -- but every day more of the Necros aren't. Y'see, Riddick hasn't accepted the vow of being the Lord Marshal to the Necromonger army and that's fostering resentment amongst their number. Assassins are coming from out of the shadows and Riddick knows that he can't kill every one of them, so he pitches a deal to Vaako: take him to his long lost home planet of Furya and he'll bail and give the Necros to Vaako. Even though Vaako can't understand why anyone would want to volunteer to give up the universe's biggest army of bad guys, Number Two Necro dude still follows the orders of his commander and orders course to Furya. Then things go south, brutal and hard for Riddick and Vaako, and Riddick winds up left for dead on another mean-ass planet populated with a fair selection of nasty creatures. Which brings up back to the opening scene of Dead Man Stalking.

All this happens in the first fifteen minutes of the script. Like I said, Twohy wrote a lean script. It moves like that 1970 Dodge Charger Vin drove in the original Fast and Furious. And this is a hard R script -- it's full of death action and peppered with nasty, filthy language befitting the characters you'll see in it, Riddick included. This is The Road Warrior to Pitch Black's Mad Max; a stripped-down, hard-edge actioner that just happens to take place on a world where there's three moons and mud demons and trisons and two shipfuls of mercs hunting down the galaxy's most wanted man, Richard P. Riddick. Free from the constraints of delivering a PG-13 movie, the dialogue in Dead Man Stalking is more suited to a film like Training Day; the mercs we meet are hard living people, not those washout fakeout space mercs from a film like Alien Resurrection. I'd share with you a couple of these gems but copyright is copyright and I ain't about to get my own cojones squashed in a Universal Pictures vice.

I've talked about how Dead Man Stalking brings us back the killer Riddick, and how his adversaries are no slouches for the way they're depicted. There's one more thing that I'm going to say about this third appearance of Riddick, and it's that we truly get to see how scary smart he is when hunting human prey. There's bits of it in Pitch Black, like when he cuts the hair from the back of the head of the pilot and in Chronicles when he escapes from the UV planet and Crematoria but in Dead Man Stalking it's pretty much full-on hunter Riddick for about two acts of the movie. Twohy sets up several scenes which shows us how crafty and deadly Riddick is at the top of his game, and to the mercs. When fitted to the unrestrained language and action rating level, this is why Dead Man Stalking has potential to be the setting stone for any follow-up sequels. And Twohy does set it up for a fourth Chronicles; there are mysteries that lay beyond the planet that Riddick is stranded on and with his past, his homeland of Furya, and why he keeps seeing visions of a woman asking him to come back home for the end fight. I'd really like to see where Twohy and Diesel want to take this franchise next, and the next after that if they've got a plan.

Two other nice elements from a writer's point-of-view about Twohy's story: there's an interesting reveal to a character that has a connection to a major character from one of the earlier movies and a mirroring of the premise to Pitch Black that dominates the action in act three. I think if Luke Skywalker had to deal with the shit that rains down on Riddick in the Chronicles universe the Tatooine farmboy wouldn't last five minutes without his lightsaber and less than an hour with it. Stay in the galaxy with the midichlorians, kid.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-21-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

That sounds pretty good, pointless Star Wars comment aside. However, I do hope we get the promised
Spoiler:
Underverse story in a later sequel and that they didn't simply off Vaako, as the script review implies.
Old 04-21-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

count me among those who loved Pitch Black and thought Chronicles was a piece of shit. Still have hopes for this though

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.