Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
i liked TCoR. i thought it was a fun, mindless, action romp. perhaps it didn't compare to the stellar claustrophopic atmosphere the first one produced as this was the grand scale epic, but it was very enjoyable. simple, leave your brain at the door popcorn flick. much better than i expected and not sure why so many haters.
Old 11-18-04, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Exactly. And I'd rather watch The Chronicles of Riddick again than say watch these following 2004 gems again:

Alien Vs. Predator
Along Came Polly
Battle Royale II
Clearing, The
Danny Deckchair
Envy
I, Robot
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, The
Open Water
Prince and Me, The
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Shark Tale
Soul Plane
Starsky and Hutch
Stepford Wives, The
Taking Lives
Van Helsing
Wicker Park
Most of these films are indeed shit, but I don't care what you think, The Clearing is good and far more rewatchable than Riddick, which had its moments but was sunk by a bad script and some of the worst acting in an overblown action flick since Batman & Robin.

And I thought Pitch Black was horrible. No more Riddick films, please.

Last edited by metaridley; 11-18-04 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 05:31 AM

just watched the dvd and while the film itself is fairly good the transfer and the sound on the disc are superb
Old 11-18-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Riddick runs with 1.5 mil in day 1 sales

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000722717

The Chronicles of Riddick," starring Vin Diesel, sold about 1.5 million combined DVD and VHS units to consumers during its first day in release Tuesday, according to industry sources, a whopping number for a film that grossed $57.6 million at the domestic boxoffice. Rental figures for the actioner from Universal Studios Home Entertainment won't be available until next week, but industry sources believe that it is expected to be one of the top 10-best-renting titles for this week.
Old 11-18-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally posted by fryinpan1
Rental figures for the actioner from Universal Studios Home Entertainment won't be available until next week, but industry sources believe that it is expected to be one of the top 10-best-renting titles for this week.

Duh. The new releases are always on the top of the rental lists.
Old 11-18-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
OK, rented CoR (Unrated) last night. Not sure how it stacks up against the theatrical cut, but it was a decent popcorn flick. Great score, breathtaking visuals . . .

I loved Pitch Black . . . but I don't feel that this fits at all as a sequel. I was thinking more along the lines of CoR is to Pitch Black as Scorpion King is to the Mummy movies. However I think that Michael Corvin was right on target with the Hobbit analogy, except that LOTR still shares the same atmosphere with the Hobbit. Whereas CoR simply uses a few of the same characters (who don't always share the same "character" as in Pitch Black) and some passing references.

After seeing the end I am ambivalent about a second Chronicles of Riddick movie (yes, technically a third 'Riddick' movie, but still just a second 'Chronicles' movie). While Twohy and company did a fantastic job creating this universe, they did a poor job translating it to the movie. Much like the Blair Witch Project, the back story was too detailed to squeeze it in, so you had to look to the external sources (Excape From Butcher Bay video game, Dark Fury cartoon, DVD extras) to get the real meaning.

That said, it would/will be interesting to see
Spoiler:
how the character of Riddick translates into being the Lord Marshal and what actually becomes of the cult-like Necromongers.
Old 11-18-04, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by fryinpan1
Riddick runs with 1.5 mil in day 1 sales

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000722717

The Chronicles of Riddick," starring Vin Diesel, sold about 1.5 million combined DVD and VHS units to consumers during its first day in release Tuesday, according to industry sources, a whopping number for a film that grossed $57.6 million at the domestic boxoffice. Rental figures for the actioner from Universal Studios Home Entertainment won't be available until next week, but industry sources believe that it is expected to be one of the top 10-best-renting titles for this week.

Excellent news, just what Riddick needed, and good for uncut releases in general, brilliant

I BOW TO NO MAN-RIDDICK!!
Old 11-18-04, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Abob Teff
OK, rented CoR (Unrated) last night. Not sure how it stacks up against the theatrical cut, but it was a decent popcorn flick. Great score, breathtaking visuals . . .

I loved Pitch Black . . . but I don't feel that this fits at all as a sequel. I was thinking more along the lines of CoR is to Pitch Black as Scorpion King is to the Mummy movies. However I think that Michael Corvin was right on target with the Hobbit analogy, except that LOTR still shares the same atmosphere with the Hobbit. Whereas CoR simply uses a few of the same characters (who don't always share the same "character" as in Pitch Black) and some passing references.

After seeing the end I am ambivalent about a second Chronicles of Riddick movie (yes, technically a third 'Riddick' movie, but still just a second 'Chronicles' movie). While Twohy and company did a fantastic job creating this universe, they did a poor job translating it to the movie. Much like the Blair Witch Project, the back story was too detailed to squeeze it in, so you had to look to the external sources (Excape From Butcher Bay video game, Dark Fury cartoon, DVD extras) to get the real meaning.

That said, it would/will be interesting to see
Spoiler:
how the character of Riddick translates into being the Lord Marshal and what actually becomes of the cult-like Necromongers.

I remember Diesel saying, if it was his choice, the movie would be like 3 hours long, now the first cut came in at 3 hours and 15 minutes. It smells of Universal tinkering in, they hand a big hands on approach, probabley not for the best on the threatical version, but with the unrated cut, they had a hands off poilcy, look at what consumers dug.

So I say there's more chance Diesel and Twohy do Riddick 2 their way, Diesel has already mentioned r rated possibilities, and likely more of a senisible lesser budget to work with, balacing character and action, and I think twohy would work great in this type of environment.

I say there's more chance of the sequel being cooler, slicker and better as a film overall, and in a way, Riddick 1 is very triology dependent, until there is a triology, riddick 1 will feel incomplete I say.
Old 11-18-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by SeanValen
I remember Diesel saying, if it was his choice, the movie would be like 3 hours long, now the first cut came in at 3 hours and 15 minutes. It smells of Universal tinkering in, they hand a big hands on approach, probabley not for the best on the threatical version, but with the unrated cut, they had a hands off poilcy, look at what consumers dug.

So I say there's more chance Diesel and Twohy do Riddick 2 their way, Diesel has already mentioned r rated possibilities, and likely more of a senisible lesser budget to work with, balacing character and action, and I think twohy would work great in this type of environment.

I say there's more chance of the sequel being cooler, slicker and better as a film overall, and in a way, Riddick 1 is very triology dependent, until there is a triology, riddick 1 will feel incomplete I say.
I agree Riddick needs its sequels to feel complete. But Riddick was never going to be a 3 hour movie. The original cut was 2 hours and 50 minutes, but as Twohy states in an interview (I'd link it but I'm too lazy to find it) editors slashed out 30 minutes of air and useless scene extensions that made up that 3 hour cut. This sort of thing is pretty standard in terms of editing. I don't think there's really anything significant missing now, save for those deleted scenes.
Old 11-19-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Riddick DVD easter egg:

http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/647.html

Insert the DVD in your player and select 'Convert' as your menu style. On the Main Menu highlight the entry 'Bonus Features' and then press the 'Up' arrow key to highlight one of the panels beneath Riddick. Alternatively using the 'Fight' menu style, you can highlight the 'Play' menu option and press the 'Left' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the handle of the knife.

Either way, press 'Enter' now and you will be treated some behind-the-scenes clips with Colm Feore about how to properly getting kicked in the face Hollywood-style.
Old 11-21-04, 07:07 PM

HELP YOUR UK RIDDICK FRIENDS TO GET THE UNCUT VERSION ON DVD

Well, I'm pretty annoyed they are not releasing Riddick uncut in region 2, so I'm phoning UIP up tomorrow, sending a e-mail etc, if unrated cut is doing so well in USA, UK UIP have got to be bonkers not to release the uncut version and market that instead. I know I can get region 1, but it would annoy me see threatical cuts of Riddick in shops, and that being the only riddick cut, something must be done., and you fellow Riddick fans enjoying the uncut version is US, I'm sure you would like to see your UK Riddick friends enjoy the same cut, so I'm not asking for much, it may work or may not, but a few more e-mailing would help, don't say your from the US, pretend your in the UK, and you don't want to buy the threatical cut, and are eying the region 1 copy, something like that, point out the high sales for Riddick uncut in US.

If you wanna join my mission:
e-mail:

[email protected]

Asking a few minutes of your time, quick e-mail, want unrated cut, won't buy threatical etc.
Old 08-26-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Riddick sequels are possibly on the way

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but the search function has been known to fail me. Anyway, it looks like Twohy and Diesel both hope to make a true Chronicles of Riddick trilogy, with Pitch Black being the stand alone prequel. I would love to see more of their universe, even if COR wasn't exactly Casablanca.

Four years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

“David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ‘Lord of the Rings’ guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,” he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film “Pitch Black.” “‘The Chronicles of Riddick’ was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer ‘Pitch Black’ in the same way that ‘Lord of the Rings’ answered ‘The Hobbit.’”

Those are lofty goals indeed for a movie that was very poorly received when it opened in 2004, and had a mediocre performance at the domestic box-office (where it made just $57 million). Diesel, though, is undaunted, insisting that the long space between sequels has nothing to do with convincing others to get on board, and everything to do with wanting to get it right. (To be fair, “Riddick” performed well overseas, and also spawned a best-selling video game which many considered to be better than the movie.)

“Everyone knows I love the Riddick character and I’m always working on it,” Diesel asserted. “It just takes five years to make another one because David Twohy and I are so precious about it.”

So where will Riddick go next? After taking the throne of the Necromonger King at the end of the last chapter, is there any doubt?

“Sooner or later we all end up in the Underverse,” he said of where we can expect the next chapter to take place, adding in a Riddick-like voice, “Sooner or later.”

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/08/25...ddick-sequels/

Last edited by starman9000; 08-26-08 at 09:54 AM. Reason: idiocy
Old 08-26-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Why can't anyone on the Internet spell "sequel" properly?
Old 08-26-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a test. I swear.
Old 08-26-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be in for more Riddick films. Although Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick are different films, I loved the sequel for its sheer scope and spectacle.

Oh, and I should add: Please don't make these direct-to-DVD sequels ...

Last edited by Yavin; 08-26-08 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking about that a while back wondering if there were ever going to wrap it up. I mean the 2nd one did finish that particular storyline but it certainly left things open for more.
Old 08-26-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd be in, but I think it's funny that Diesel is saying the long wait is because they're so protective of the character, rather then the mediocre box office.
Old 08-26-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I'd check 'em out.
Old 08-26-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the 2 Riddick films, so this is very good news.
Old 08-26-08, 11:27 AM
Banned

If I was the guy who writes checks for budgets at Universal I would laugh Diesel and Thowy out the door. No way are these films going to be successful. Pitch Black was pretty good but Riddick was horrendous. One of the worst films I have ever seen in a theater. And I worked at the theater when it was playing and all i saw were walkouts and people saying what a POS it was. I remember being kinda excited about it and built it up on the projector and stayed to watch it until about 3:00 am and ,wow, i was so disgusted by the time it was over. What a joyless, sloppy, waste of time.
These might do good if they had a budget of $10 million and they went direct-to-video but otherwise no way.
Old 08-26-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Universal has made money on it though, and if they can repeat the goodness of the FPS to go along with it, they could stand to make a nice little profit. I wouldn't expect a huge budget for it though.
Old 08-26-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
If I was the guy who writes checks for budgets at Universal I would laugh Diesel and Thowy out the door. No way are these films going to be successful. Pitch Black was pretty good but Riddick was horrendous. One of the worst films I have ever seen in a theater. And I worked at the theater when it was playing and all i saw were walkouts and people saying what a POS it was. I remember being kinda excited about it and built it up on the projector and stayed to watch it until about 3:00 am and ,wow, i was so disgusted by the time it was over. What a joyless, sloppy, waste of time.
These might do good if they had a budget of $10 million and they went direct-to-video but otherwise no way.
While critic reviews were pretty poor, I think the general public reaction is that the movie isn't that bad. It's a 6.4 on IMDB, and according to Wikipedia it sold 1.5 million copies on DVD on the first day.

Depending on how well the new Fast and Furious movie does, it wouldn't surprise me to see Vin get a shot at this.
Old 08-26-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be there... It wasn't as good as Pitch Black, but I really like the character of Riddick.
Old 08-26-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd be in, but I think it's funny that Diesel is saying the long wait is because they're so protective of the character, rather then the mediocre box office.
That's because with each movie, they are aiming for a more select audience.

Old 08-26-08, 04:42 PM

I agree with the general consensus of this thread, which is: Chronicles of Riddick wasn't that bad. In fact, I quite enjoyed it and want to see how the story ends. Bring on the sequels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.