Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: 'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

I'm kinda glad they didn't kill off Alec Baldwin and have him come back as an angel.
Old 06-27-12, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Saw it.

Loved it.

Rock on!
Couldnt have said it better myself.

I had already seen the musical(which I loved) so I was a bit worried the movie was going to erase all good memories of it but I ended up having that same feeling afterwards. It was fun and for a dude like me that was rocking out in the 80's to that music, it was very nostalgic.
Old 07-06-12, 11:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wow, this must have died a quick theatrical death - was gone for a week on vacation, didn't really have the time when I got back, and by this weekend - AMC has dropped this like a lead penny.
Old 07-07-12, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
wow, this must have died a quick theatrical death - was gone for a week on vacation, didn't really have the time when I got back, and by this weekend - AMC has dropped this like a lead penny.
It's just about gone at my theater too. It's down to two showings. One first thing in the morning and the other at the end of the night. Not looking good for me getting to see it now.
Old 07-07-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right. It's currently entering its fourth week of release and its down to 701 locations from an initial count of 3,470. In its defense, Warner had terrible timing.

It opened a week after Prometheus.

It opened a week before Brave (and two other flops: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World).

It opened two weeks before Magic Mike and Ted.

It was guaranteed to be lost in the shuffle. Any specific audience Warner was targeting (which is none based upon the awful advertising campaign) was already claimed by other films during the month of June. This is a film that should've been released in August, not in the dead middle of June.

If anything, its quick demise will get us a quick Blu-ray release.
Old 07-09-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
This is a film that should've been released in August, not in the dead middle of June.
I agree. Musicals are a risky bet in the middle of the summer. Honestly, Warner should have released in November. Even though I don't think it has enough going for it to be a blockbuster, I can almost guarantee it would have done better box office released later in the year.
Old 07-10-12, 10:06 PM

so I FINALLY saw it today (found a theater) and I have to say, as a fan of the stage version, I thought it was 'meh' It's hard to be subjective of the changes and all, when the stage version is just goofy, campy and fun... here though it felt like the director and all involved where going through the motions. Very average in my book.
Old 07-11-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this today. I absolutely loved it. I grew up on all of the music and still really enjoy it to this day. The cast was good and really handled it all well.
Old 10-02-12, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that was awful. Just obscenely stupid. Even if you love the songs, they've been neutered and sterilized and musical-ized into oblivion. The plot, dumb, the characters, even dumber.

And anything that uses the least rock and roll song of all time, "We Built This City," cannot call itself rock.

Tom Cruise did a good job, though.
Old 10-03-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Wow, that was awful. Just obscenely stupid. Even if you love the songs, they've been neutered and sterilized and musical-ized into oblivion. The plot, dumb, the characters, even dumber.

And anything that uses the least rock and roll song of all time, "We Built This City," cannot call itself rock.

While I hate to categorically agree with everything in a specific post, especially by a mod, the mallet supreme nailed this thing to the wall.
Old 10-03-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree and enjoyed Cruise a lot in this. But if it weren't for him, there would have been no reason to see the film at all.

What an overall disaster.
Old 10-03-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I loved the stage musical to death, but didn't let that interfere with my judgment of the movie. It was filmed locally, I had friends involved with the production, the Bourbon Room scenes were filmed at my favorite hangout, and I even got to tour the sets and exteriors. I was 16 in 1987 so the music was part of my most formulative years. I was primed to love this movie.

Total fucking abortion. Worst movie I've seen all year, by far. Nothing else even comes close. A colossal misfire in almost every conceivable way. Julianne Hough is insanely hot though. Nice dumper.
Old 10-03-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

For those that saw both the movie and stage versions, what exactly was changed?
Old 10-03-12, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
For those that saw both the movie and stage versions, what exactly was changed?
a shit lot

- jokes about being a 'stage' musical - are obviousily dropped because it wouldn't work in the film. Audience members who use their cel phones and what happens to them. A wink wink nudge nudge 'script' is given to Drew by Lonny in one scene.
- Lonny (Russell Brand) was practically the central character - he served as the narrator
- the ending of the stage version wasn't as happy and contrived as the film version - Stacie Jaxx winds up ... oh wiki it. And one character
Spoiler:
kicks the bucket

- the Catherine Zeta Jones character was actually two characters in the stage version: Franz and his father who want to tear down the club - Franz is a scream and it was a shame that he isn't in the film version - one minor song is jettisoned because it's sung by the father.
- Paul Giamatti's character was so ancilary in the stage version
- there's no monkey
- the 'boy band' song is not played in the club

- songs were dropped - interestingly the Def Leppard song in the movie isn't in the stage version, because there's a joke in the stage version saying that they weren't given permission (i.e, 'legal')

the problem was/is that the stage version wouldn't work as a film, the jokes and overall tone thrives on audience live reaction and participation (the recent Wolf Trap performance had the latter - since the audience in one instance finished a song that doesn't end in the stage version), but as a result, Adam Shankman who worked so brillantly converting the stage version of 'Hairspray' to film, just really did not do a good job for this film - in fact he basically eviscerated it. It seems that recent musicals have been really bad, ever so close to nailing the genre into it's coffin - this and that walking abortion of a film 'Nine'

Last edited by Giles; 10-03-12 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 01:54 PM
Banned by request

It's good to know the original musical is significantly different. I also saw in the special features that the Drew part was originally played by Constantine from American Idol, and that sounds way better than this guy they got (who is described in the features as the "Mexican Justin Beiber," and there's nothing more rock and roll than Justin Beiber).
Old 10-03-12, 02:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

i was looking forward to buying this next week...now, not so much. still may.
Old 10-03-12, 02:54 PM

It's good to know the original musical is significantly different. I also saw in the special features that the Drew part was originally played by Constantine from American Idol, and that sounds way better than this guy they got (who is described in the features as the "Mexican Justin Beiber," and there's nothing more rock and roll than Justin Beiber).
yes that's who I saw when 'Rock of Ages' played at the National Theater here in DC - he was fantastic!
Old 10-03-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The stage musical is so different it's practically an entirely different story. And a much better one. Sherrie isn't a singer, for starters. She and Drew don't even hook up until the very end. She sleeps with Stacie Jaxx, who is ANYTHING but a "good guy", and has a hilariously awesome comeuppance. And they scrapped the awesome I Hate Myself For Loving You / Heat of the Moment lapdance scene.

This movie was an abortion!
Old 10-03-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and while the show was very tongue in cheek, fourth wall breaKing, and silly, it at least had some teeth. People fight, fuck, screw over each other, end up in gutters, even DIE!

Compared to that toothless fucking movie, it's practically Requiem for a Dream!
Old 10-03-12, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The stage musical is so different it's practically an entirely different story. And a much better one. Sherrie isn't a singer, for starters. She and Drew don't even hook up until the very end. She sleeps with Stacie Jaxx, who is ANYTHING but a "good guy", and has a hilariously awesome comeuppance. And they scrapped the awesome I Hate Myself For Loving You / Heat of the Moment lapdance scene.

This movie was an abortion!

and the aptly inserted song 'The Search is Over' .... again dropped for the film version ... [goes in a corner and cries]
Old 10-03-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and the aptly inserted song 'The Search is Over' .... again dropped for the film version ... [goes in a corner and cries]
No "Beaver Hunt" either...
Old 10-03-12, 03:35 PM
Banned by request

And yet "We Built This City" somehow managed to make it in to the film.

Now you guys are making me want to see the stage show.
Old 10-03-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang. Didn't realize how much they had changed. FWIW, the movie version of Grease made quite a few changes from the original musical. Rizzo was more or less the main character with Sandy and Danny as a subplot.
Old 10-03-12, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Dang. Didn't realize how much they had changed. FWIW, the movie version of Grease made quite a few changes from the original musical. Rizzo was more or less the main character with Sandy and Danny as a subplot.
well and the fact that the car doesn't fly off into the sunset either. I didn't realize that the title song wasn't even in the stage version but was added to the movie version.
Old 10-04-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well and the fact that the car doesn't fly off into the sunset either. I didn't realize that the title song wasn't even in the stage version but was added to the movie version.
Yep. It was actually written by the Bee Gees (I guess to keep the SNF connection to Travolta going) but sung by Frankie Valli (again, I guess to link it to the 1950s time period). The famous song done by Travolta and Newton-John was also concocted for the movie. Oh, and Sandy wasn't Australian either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.