Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
Re: 'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just downloaded the ST. I really don't think it's wise to have Don't Stop Believin in the movie at this point, as it will look like a Glee knock-off.
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's the honkey anthem.
Hey, if it's good enough for The Sopranos it's good enough for
Old 06-15-12, 10:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I saw it tonight. It was okay but I wanted to like it more than I did. Julianne Hough is definitely very easy on the eyes. Tom Cruise did a decent job as well and the same can be said for Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin. Something just seemed like it was missing though throughout the film. The music was decent but the story was just so-so. Also I was kind of disappointed that Bryan Cranston's role was basically just a throw away one.
again....??

he should fire his agent.
Old 06-15-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
again....??

he should fire his agent.
After he's shown his range from Malcolm in the Middle to now Breaking Bad, I can't believe he's not getting the meaty supporting roles in good films. The kind that have best supporting actor written all over it.....but I really don't think he's a leading man.
Old 06-15-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I think Cranston is totally capable of being a leading man. Breaking Bad has really brought out how great he is. Stick him in a good dramatic role and see how he does. I bet he could pull it off just as well as other current stars.
Old 06-15-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he's comfortable in these roles? Perhaps he likes having the main job on Breaking Bad, and likes to keep working in the hiatus with smaller roles that only take a few days/weeks to shoot. He has a family, and worked very hard and consistently when he was younger, so these "throwaway roles" might just be what he needs to balance his personal and professional lives.
Old 06-15-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right but he's definitely capable of a lot more. That could be a correct stance though who knows. All I know is with Breaking Bad he's shown how good he really is.
Old 06-16-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hey, if it's good enough for The Sopranos it's good enough for
Well played.
Old 06-16-12, 03:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
I caught an advance screening of this last night. Quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I thought it might actually be good from the trailers.

I never realized until this movie how much Julianne Hough looks like Hayden Pannetiere.
She looks more like Christina Aguelera .
Old 06-16-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I went to see it last night, I thought it was a fun time, but I can understand why some people here might not have liked it. I enjoyed it for the music. Julianne Hough was definately my favorite part. Tom Cruise was clearly trying to mimic Axel Rose. Was Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand supposed to be gay? A couple of their songs kind of left me thinking that. Did anyone catch the cameos at the end during "Where Not Goin to Take It", I think I saw Sebastian Bach of Skid Row and Kevin Cronin of Reo speedwagon in the crowd with Russell Brand.
Old 06-16-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I went to see it last night, I thought it was a fun time, but I can understand why some people here might not have liked it. I enjoyed it for the music. Julianne Hough was definately my favorite part. Tom Cruise was clearly trying to mimic Axel Rose. Was Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand supposed to be gay? A couple of their songs kind of left me thinking that. Did anyone catch the cameos at the end during "Where Not Goin to Take It", I think I saw Sebastian Bach of Skid Row and Kevin Cronin of Reo speedwagon in the crowd with Russell Brand.
Well either that or they just really liked each other a lot. I thought it was pretty obvious with their duet toward the end that they had fallen in love with each other.
Old 06-16-12, 02:12 PM

The movie is kind of a hot mess, and I would never recommend it to another person in fear the movie would make them break into hives and they would hate me forever. Also, the presence of the songs We Built This City and I Want to Know what Love is never helped anything.

That said, I really enjoyed it. I feel like I shouldn't have, but I did. A lot. I was like dancing in my chair (and could without fear, as there was no one else in there with me.) Perhaps I just cant resist 80s music, or my love of cheesy musicals runs deeper than I thought.
Old 06-16-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
The movie is kind of a hot mess, and I would never recommend it to another person in fear the movie would make them break into hives and they would hate me forever. Also, the presence of the songs We Built This City and I Want to Know what Love is never helped anything.

That said, I really enjoyed it. I feel like I shouldn't have, but I did. A lot. I was like dancing in my chair (and could without fear, as there was no one else in there with me.) Perhaps I just cant resist 80s music, or my love of cheesy musicals runs deeper than I thought.
This pretty much sums up my sentiments. This movie has guilty pleasure written all over it, which is another way of saying the people who like it aren't going to openly admit it for sometime, or unless they're in the presence of someone else who does .
Old 06-16-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife and I saw it last night and both loved it.
Old 06-16-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Did anyone catch the cameos at the end during "Where Not Goin to Take It", I think I saw Sebastian Bach of Skid Row and Kevin Cronin of Reo speedwagon in the crowd with Russell Brand.
Also in that scene were Debbie Gibson and Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme. Two of my best friends were extras in that scene. One of them accidentally broke Debbie Gibson's iPhone. Oops!

And how could you NOT know Brand and Baldwin were gay? They sang I Cant Fight This Feeling to each other, holding hands, and finished the song by kissing each other!!
Old 06-16-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And how could you NOT know Brand and Baldwin were gay? They sang I Cant Fight This Feeling to each other, holding hands, and finished the song by kissing each other!!
And that scene ends with someone telling Baldwin that he has a phone call, to which he responds "Tell them I'm busy...falling in love".
Old 06-16-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finding out about Paul Lynde must have been a total shocker...
Old 06-16-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really enjoyed most of the song performances, and the mash-ups, but the connective tissue from song number to song number was a bumpy ride. Catherine Zeta-Jones's numbers felt overly done (as in trying too hard). Weird not to see much more than some pole dancing from Julianne Hough and her singing voice is a little too squeaky and high for my tastes, and her acting is merely so-so. Diego Boneta's vocals were adequate. Tom Cruise, not sure how much his vocals were processed, director Adam Shankman claimed Cruise surprised him with a 4-octave singing voice, so who knows if Cruise really did rock it, as his number were more than adequate in the role as Stacee Jaxx.

It was really weird to see Tower Records featured in the film, and all that vinyl on display, as well as cassette tapes. Fast forward 25 years, and it's all about MP3s and streaming music content.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B (mainly for the songs of my youth).
Old 06-20-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I agree with Patman.. especially on the vox of the stars. Hough and Boneta don't have rock voices. Even Hough's speaking voice is very mousy. And Cruise was alright, but his Dead or Alive cover was pretty awful. It was a fun, nostalgic look back at the time of hair bands.
Old 06-21-12, 01:45 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Saw it.

Loved it.

Rock on!
Old 06-22-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it, but it's an interesting failure nonetheless. Shankman should just stick to directing musicals and producing Step Up films considering everything else he touches is pure shit.

The film was entertaining when it wasn't focusing on the two leads. The material involving Cruise, Baldwin, Brand, and hell, even Zeta-Jones was better than anything involving Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough. It's not that they weren't likable, it's just that they were bland and boring. That goes for both their acting and singing.

As Hokeyboy mentioned, I wish Shankman would've camped the film up more. Not necessarily during the musical moments, but during the dialog scenes. The moments in-between songs end up being somewhere in the range of awkward to awful. One of Shankman's finer moments was being able to jump through Here I Go Again to Can't Fight This Feeling to Anyway You Want It with maybe a minute or two of fluff in-between. That's where musical adaptations, and specifically Shankman, get it right. We don't need dialogue in a musical to tell the story. Tell the story through action and singing.

Most of Shankman's changes were for the best (especially dropping the Germans in favor for Zeta-Jones and Cranston's characters was a huge ) and who doesn't appreciate a good Eli Roth cameo?
Old 06-22-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to see it the other night and kind of weirdly, unabashedly loved it. I grew up in the 80s and have a love/hate relationship with a lot of that music, but I actually thought a light, fluffy musical was the perfect setting for those songs. The movie is surprisingly funny and has a goofy, infectious energy to it. The male lead is a bit bland. Julianne Hough's voice is thin and squeaky, but she is a lot of fun to watch whether she's singing or not.

I've read a lot of complaints that movie is basically just famous people doing karaoke for two hours, but that was sort of the reason why I liked it so much.
Old 06-22-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I liked Diego's transformation from rocker to Jay Mohr.
Old 06-22-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The proper response to Rock of Ages:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VX1jPamocA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-22-12, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The proper response to Rock of Ages:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VX1jPamocA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I liked "Rock of Ages" but
Old 06-26-12, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it a lot. It was filled with energy from beginning to end, and just was sheer fun, that I don't understand all the hate it's getting. And Cruise was awesome and hilarious in his role, and really kicked some ass singing, and everyone seemed to be having a blast, which is all that can be asked for from this film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.