Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Ritchie, 2011)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Ritchie, 2011)

Old 07-12-11, 09:03 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Richie, 2011)

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Ugh. I know that the fanboys went gaga for it, but the first movie was, to me, a Sherlock Holmes version of The Wild, Wild West (the shitty Will Smith one). Didn't care for it at all.
Me too. But the difference is that I could actually sit through Wild, Wild West. The first Sherlock Holmes took me 3 days to get through.

But I'll probably see this one too.
Old 07-13-11, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome to me. This Holmes fanboy's butt will be there on opening night.
Old 07-13-11, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Really looking forward to this. Nice to see that tattooed chick getting an interesting supporting role. Based on her previous work it looks like she'll fit in perfectly here.

Also cool to see Downey going back to his crossdressing roots (wonder if he'll put on a Wonder Woman outfit at some point?). Also have to agree that Rachel Adams is no big loss, but it's good that she's at least getting a cameo instead of simply being written out completely.
Old 07-13-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

That looks damn good. It seems that the Baritsu fight style will incorporate more Wing Chung this time around (to placate Robert Downey, Jr. no doubt) rather than Jujitsu.

Shame we didn't see Stephen Fry in the trailer. I hope he has a rather sizeable role.
Old 07-14-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this looks fun. I enjoyed the first one just enough to have interest in seeing this. I don't think I'd bother with it in theaters, but I'd VOD it.
Old 10-19-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sc4HwDaT188?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-20-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Looks great. I think the first is a real guilty pleasure and this looks like even more.
Old 10-22-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really liked what I saw in the second trailer. Great score, and it looks like it's going to be more fun than the first, but they could've cut it a bit tighter. The trailer is almost too much of a good thing.
Old 12-16-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. It was good. Not as good as the original, but good in a different way. The action scenes, yet again, are very well done. It's a bit long, though. But, the stuff with Moriarty was great. Jared Harris was a fantastic choice. Also loved the literal cliffhanger of an ending and whether or not
Spoiler:
Moriarty
will be back.
Old 12-16-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

At this point I'm not sure if I liked it better than the first, but I still didn't think it was that great. I don't know if it was just me but it didn't seem like Sherlock deduced things that often, and the "mystery" wasn't really anything special. The stakes were high, yes but a couple of the flashbacks involving "I did this earlier in the movie when you weren't looking" took away some of the fun of going along with the story, and made it seem more like Leverage.

Jared Harris and Stephen Fry were great additions to the cast though, and I did really like the ending, starting with the showdown. The fight breakdowns were also well done, as usual.
Old 12-16-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I enjoyed it thoroughly and thought Downey Jr. was still great as Holmes (I was afraid he'd wear thin a la Depp as Jack Sparrow). I also liked that Watson (Law) had more to do in this one by comparison to the original.
Old 12-16-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried to watch the first one three times. I keep falling asleep. I want to like it, but it just seems weak.
Old 12-16-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the first one, so I'll probably check this out, but will wait until the holiday rush is over with. It's at 64% on RT, compared to 70% for the original.
Old 12-16-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Saw it tonight. I liked it well enough but I think the first one was a bit stronger. I agree with the sentiment about the flashbacks kind of taking the fun out of following the mystery. Downey Jr. and Law were both good in their roles though and it wasn't a bad movie by any means. I'll have to watch it again when it's on Blu-ray to make a good opinion on it.
Old 12-17-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it tonight, and loved every second of it. Downey was, as usual, perfect in the role, and the rest of the cast were very good as well, especially Jude Law and Jared Harris.

I can't wait for the next installment.

As for the ending...

Spoiler:
I think they made it very clear that Moriarty survived. No body was found, and the climax "fight" scene showed that he was was just as capable as Holmes at thinking and planning ahead. If Holmes had the forethought to take the mini-oxygen tank with him, Moriarty would have taken a similar precaution.
Old 12-17-11, 03:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
As for the ending...

Spoiler:
I think they made it very clear that Moriarty survived. No body was found, and the climax "fight" scene showed that he was was just as capable as Holmes at thinking and planning ahead. If Holmes had the forethought to take the mini-oxygen tank with him, Moriarty would have taken a similar precaution.
Spoiler:
Except only Sherlock knew he would sacrifice himself, or appear to, in order to take out Moriarty. I don't mind if they bring Moriarty back, but let's get a few more non-Moriarty stories in there before we go back to that particular well.

This was also fun, but not as good as the first. There was a lot less detective work on Sherlock's part, and Moriarty's plan seemed shockingly straight forward. However, Fry makes the movie as Mycroft.
Old 12-17-11, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naked Stephen Fry... Good gag though.

Didn't really enjoy this one as much as I'd hoped from the trailer. I think the issue might have been the sheer scale of the plot and it's simplicity. Moriarty didn't chill me either, as a villain, which is a bit of a problem. 3/5
Old 12-17-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was bored. I thought it lacked the wit of the first film and the banter/chemistry between Holmes and Watson wasn't nearly as good. The main plot was uninteresting to me overall and I really wanted to see Sherlock and Moriarty really go after each other, much more than they did. It definitely had some great moments (train sequence, chess game) but overall I was pretty disappointed - and I could not have cared less about Noomi Repace's character. Dull. I liked the first well enough but didn't love it, so I was hoping this would improve on the formula and it did not IMO. 2.5/5
Old 12-17-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

On the positive side, the BBC show will be returning in a few short weeks, so we're in for an influx of Sherlock stories.
Old 12-17-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

I enjoyed it quite a bit and this is coming from someone who had fallen asleep twice while trying to watch the first movie. I still haven't seen it all the way through.
I enjoyed Jarrod Harris as Moriarty, he showed that calm evil that was chilling in his genius.

Harris was great but Jude Law made the movie for me. He out performed Downey Jr., IMO.
If nothing else I really dug the
Spoiler:
slow motion gun battle through the woods
That was pretty awesome.

And props for
Spoiler:
killing off Rachel Mcadams early on
Old 12-17-11, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah, any movie that
Spoiler:
kills Rachel McAdams in the first ten minutes
is going to get at least a partial thumbs up from me.
Old 12-18-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Saw it last night and enjoyed it just as much as the first one.
The train sequence not only had some great action but really made me laugh out loud, as well.

Overall a great time, and I don't understand all the general negative buzz on this one (at least outside this thread).

Jared Harris was a great selection as Moriarty....
Old 12-18-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it. Like the first one, tons of fun. This one also made more of an attempt to appeal to those familiar with the original stories, especially towards the end.
Old 12-19-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was a big fan of the first one, and I believe I enjoyed this film even more. The action sequences were simply breath taking especially the flight in the woods. Jared Harris was a great villian, someone who could admire and hate Holmes at the same time. I agree with some criticisms like Holmes brother being a waste and overuse of the slo-mo Holmes mind cam.
Old 12-20-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This film didn't do much for me on first viewing, and I actually fell asleep. I really liked the first one, but this one seemed a bit off, like the components weren't clicking into place. Seeing as how the stars, directors, and producers were all the same as the first film, my guess is the writers couldn't produce a script as sharp as the first one.

I'm still open to seeing it a second time though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.