Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: Depp

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: Depp

Old 11-15-14, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Holy shit, that was hard to watch.
No kidding. Yikes.
Old 11-15-14, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Depp was drunker than Jack Sparrow earlier tonight:
I think we can all guess why the rum is gone.
Old 11-15-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I think they call that microphone "The Rabbit".
Old 11-17-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sniperx4
that's what I read too...It's cool he enjoys it, that's fine. I just wish it could a better story.
I just wish a coherent text.

And yeah, I cringed a bit watching Depp in that video myself.
Old 11-17-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Jeez, he's really turning into a mess.
Old 11-21-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Brenton Thwaites to Co-Star With Johnny Depp in ‘Pirates of Caribbean 5′
November 21, 2014 | 11:18AM PT Justin Kroll

After reading actors last week for the highly coveted role, Disney and Johnny Depp look to have found Jack Sparrow’s new mate.

Brenton Thwaites is in final negotiations to co-star opposite Depp in “Pirates of the Caribbean 5.” Thwaites will play a British soldier in the pic.

Javier Bardem is also talks to play the villain with Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg, who got their sea legs with “Kon Tiki,” directing. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing.

Pre-production on “Pirates” is already under way in Australia, where the big-budget sequel will be shot. The film will bow in July 2017.

Thwaites was last seen next in “The Giver,” and previously starred in Disney’s “Maleficent” as Prince Phillip. He is repped by WME and manager Dan Spilo.
Old 11-21-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

That's awesome!! Who the fuck is Brenton Thwaites?
Old 11-22-14, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Same question just went through my head as well.
Old 01-22-15, 11:25 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

I've dug her since Skins, so I'm down for this.

EXCLUSIVE: Kaya Scodelario is in early talks for the female lead in Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. The British actress got her big break in the cast of the original UK series Skins. She starred in The Truth About Emanuel and then in The Maze Runner. She is shooting the sequel to the latter film, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.

Disney’s fifth installment of Pirates is being directed by the Kon-Tiki duo Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing and Johnny Depp reprises with Javier Bardem, Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom also in the mix. She’s repped by CAA, Curtis Brown, 3 Arts and attorney Gregory Slewett.
http://deadline.com/2015/01/pirates-...io-1201355222/
Old 01-22-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And yet another person that I've never heard of. I guess the bulk of the acting budget went to Depp and Bardem (and Rush, assuming that he's also in this) with $20 left over for the nobodies.
Old 01-22-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As long as Depp is in it and the film has the POTC logo on it, that's all mainstream audiences care about.
Old 01-22-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And yet another person that I've never heard of. I guess the bulk of the acting budget went to Depp and Bardem (and Rush, assuming that he's also in this) with $20 left over for the nobodies.
I'm sure she's got chops. Game of Thrones has been culling great actors from Skins for years now, but you wouldn't fucking know that would you.
Old 01-22-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm sure she's got chops. Game of Thrones has been culling great actors from Skins for years now, but you wouldn't fucking know that would you.
I never even heard of Skins before today.
Old 02-17-15, 08:28 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, the fifth installment in the blockbuster adventure franchise that began over a decade ago, has started production on location in Queensland, Australia, Disney announced Tuesday.

The Jerry Bruckheimer production will film entirely in Queensland, as well as at Village Roadshow Studios.

Johnny Depp will be reprising his role as Captain Jack Sparrow, as will Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, Kevin R. McNally as Joshamee Gibbs and Stephen Graham as Scrum.

New to the franchise are Oscar winner Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men), Kaya Scodelario (The Maze Runner), Brenton Thwaites (Maleficent) and Golshifteh Farahani (Exodus: Gods and Kings).

Disney released a synopsis with the production announcement:

Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea…including him. Captain Jack’s only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.

The film currently has a July 7, 2017, release date.
Old 02-17-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uhg, Captain Jack Sparrow is the lead again? I really wish they'd return to the formula of the first movie. The leads were Will and Elizabeth (make the young-uns in this flick their replacements) and Jack was the wild card thrust into their story, turning everything on its ear.
Old 02-18-15, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy to see Rush returning. We need a Barbossa spin-off more than we need another Sparrow flick.
Old 02-18-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Uhg, Captain Jack Sparrow is the lead again? I really wish they'd return to the formula of the first movie. The leads were Will and Elizabeth (make the young-uns in this flick their replacements) and Jack was the wild card thrust into their story, turning everything on its ear.
And that worked. But for the first sequel the movie slowed to a crawl anytime Sparrow wasn't on screen, and yet ran too long with his "broad" comedy.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle that they've failed to recreate since. I agree Sparrow works better as a supporting character, but they need leads that aren't as horribly bland as Will and Elizabeth, though it was more Will's scenes that sucked the life out of the first trilogy.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-18-15 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
And that worked. But for the first sequel the movie slowed to a crawl anytime Sparrow wasn't on screen, and yet ran too long with his "broad" comedy.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle that they've failed to recreate since. I agree Sparrow works better as a supporting character, but they need leads that aren't as horribly bland as Will and Elizabeth, though it was more Will's scenes that sucked the life out of the first trilogy.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree that the new leads need to be better. But I feel focusing on Jack is a mistake. It dilutes the effect of having him onscreen.

Honestly, the only other recurring character should have been Norrington (I hated how they butchered his character in AWE) as he chased Jack across the seven seas. Will and Elizabeth's story should have been over after the first movie. Just make a series of separate adventures with brand new leads each time. Then, while the new story is already in full swing, Jack shows up to mess shit up. But it should never be his story.
Old 02-18-15, 10:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I would have liked to have seen Captain Jack have a sidekick, sort of like Don Quixote. Jack has always been out there, but having a sidekick a bit more grounded could play off Jack really well. Just such a cool setting for a franchise, but the visions so far seem pretty narrow. If they don't widen this world and add in some more characters (and better overall story), this may be the last. Or at the very least most unsuccessful.
Old 02-18-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I would have liked to have seen Captain Jack have a sidekick, sort of like Don Quixote. Jack has always been out there, but having a sidekick a bit more grounded could play off Jack really well. Just such a cool setting for a franchise, but the visions so far seem pretty narrow. If they don't widen this world and add in some more characters (and better overall story), this may be the last. Or at the very least most unsuccessful.
I always felt it a missed opportunity that they didn't do a complete 180 when they revealed his father in AWE. Instead of Keith Richards being Keith Richards, it would have been amusing and surprising to reveal Jack's father to be a proper English gentleman, irritated by his son's life of piracy.
Old 02-18-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm kind of tired of Barbossa; It was exciting to see him return from the dead the first time, but I don't really need to see him anymore as a rival to Jack.
Old 02-18-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I want to see Karen Gillan play Anne Bonny.

Old 02-18-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
He's that guy...the one who was in that show...the one about that thing...where they all wore, y'know, cloaks and shit. And he had a wig on. Or a hat...

"Dr. Something..."
"Dr. Who?"
"That's what I'm asking."
"No, I'm asking you. Was it Dr. Who?"
"Who?"
"The Doctor."
"That's what I want to find out, which doctor it was."
Old 02-18-15, 02:15 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish Johnny Depp would perish at sea...in real life.
Old 02-18-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I wish Johnny Depp would perish at sea...in real life.
Then he'd be a DEAD MAN.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.