Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-10-13, 11:06 PM   #76

Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2015) S: Depp, Fassbender D: N

Quote:
BREAKING: Disney has moved off its summer 2015 release date with Pirates Of The Caribbean 5, and the studio is now looking to slot it for summer 2016. This will create some jockeying from other studios next summer – Pirates had been slated for a July 10 release and other studios steered clear of that date — but I’m told from insiders this is not a case where they are hoisting a distress flag.

Basically, the studio and producer Jerry Bruckheimer have an advanced outline from scribe Jeff Nathanson, who is writing. They have directors Joachim Roenning and Espen Sandberg, who did a great job with a modest budget on Kon-Tiki, but who are new to the big scale of a film like Pirates. The studio would have to get into production by February, which would mean prepping off the outline.

The decision was made that it wasn’t worth rushing until they are sure the script is right. Why not take the time to do a proper job with one of Disney’s most important tentpoles? The first four films grossed $3.7 billion, and the last installment, On Stranger Tides, crossed the $1 billion mark. Disney has plenty for summer 2015 anyway. There is a sequel to The Avengers and the first of the next three installments of the Star Wars franchise, directed by JJ Abrams. There is also the Marvel pic Ant-Man, and Inside Out from Pixar.

Johnny Depp is firmly committed to return to his Jack Sparrow role, but even he can use the extra time as he is starring in Into The Woods and Alice In Wonderland 2. There is nothing wrong with waiting to get the script and budget right before going forward. It might be a way to avoid all the drama that went into this summer’s The Lone Ranger, which temporarily had its plugged pulled because of a runaway budget. That budget escalated anyway, and the film became one of the costliest money-losing casualties of the summer season and a big write-down for the studio.

“Like audiences around the globe, we have high expectations for Jack Sparrow’s next adventure and we want to have all the right elements in place,” said Disney production president Sean Bailey. “We’re not there yet and we want to make sure this project is everything these wonderful characters and of course the fans deserve.”
Old 09-10-13, 11:58 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2015) S: Depp, Fassbender D: N

I'd be fine with them pushing it back a few more years.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 09-11-13, 12:07 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, take your time guys... seriously.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 09-11-13, 08:08 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Johnny Depp is firmly committed to return to his Jack Sparrow role, but even he can use the extra time as he is starring in Into The Woods and Alice In Wonderland 2.
Old 09-11-13, 08:25 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

I take it that gun is to Beat's head because he is being forced to watch these movies.
Old 09-11-13, 09:31 AM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I take it that gun is to Beat's head because he is being forced to watch these movies.
No one is being forced to do anything. I am just commenting on how a good actor no longer cares about his craft.
Old 09-11-13, 11:02 AM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Its good they move it back..Disney has a ton going on in 2015 already.
Old 09-11-13, 02:46 PM   #83

Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2016...maybe) S: Depp

Quote:
If anyone is excited for the fifth entry in the Adventures of Jack Sparrow, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES, here are some new plot details that have been discovered surrounding the in progress script from writer Jeff Nathanson. The RUSH HOUR 2 and 3 writer is keeping the same overall format from the first four films, which may immediately turn off those looking for something fresh in the series.

All we know for certain at this point is that KON-TIKI directors Espen Sandberg and Joachim Ronning are helming the film from Nathanson's script and that Johnny Depp will be reprising his most famous role. These additional details, courtesy of Bleeding Cool, give us an idea of where the next film will be sailing:

- Penelope Cruz will not be returning as Angelica. While this could change as the script develops, the female lead is currently described as a woman of science who is accused of being a witch. She will serve as a love interest for Jack Sparrow but that romance is "one-sided".

- Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom are not included in the story, so no Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan. The current young people are scripted as generic subplot fodder and may not make it into the final draft.

- Barbossa will have a significant role. The Geoffrey Rush character will have a partner in crime in the film in the form of a ghost. The spirit will be out for revenge and that is where the DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES title comes into play.

- Witches play a signficiant part of the story but will differ from what we have seen in the franchise to date.

- The Bermuda Triangle will play a part in the story.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...-about-anyway/
Old 09-11-13, 02:56 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
No one is being forced to do anything. I am just commenting on how a good actor no longer cares about his craft.
His craft is now making loads of money.

Fuck this whole franchise, and fuck Johnny Depp for becoming a complete whore.

Fucking Tonto.
Old 09-11-13, 10:56 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

I'm disappointed that Gaspar dropped out.
Old 09-12-13, 08:01 AM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'm disappointed that Gaspar dropped out.
Actually Bruckheimer fired him for suggesting a 20 minute rape scene between Jack Sparrow and a parrot.
Old 09-12-13, 08:47 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

I think Bruckheimer was okay with it until he bashes the parrot's head in.
Old 09-12-13, 09:03 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

I like the rumored plot but with two reservations. Jack Sparrow should not be the lead and he doesn't need another love interest.

I'm not suggesting dumping Johnny Depp or reducing his role but they should take note of the format of the first movie. Johnny Depp was the star but Jack Sparrow was not the lead. Will and Elizabeth were the leads. I've said it before but this franchise should be a series of one shot movies where Jack Sparrow plays the wild card that turns the story of the leads upside down.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 09-12-13, 09:33 AM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

From a business point of view - they are safe retreading the same crap.

From a film lover's point of view - they need to change something up. By the fourth movie, these movies are TIRED.
Old 07-23-14, 10:57 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (2017, D: ?) S: Depp

I did a search but didn't find a thread for this...

Box Office: Disney has scheduled PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5 for release on July 7, 2017.

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/491956299668942848
Old 07-23-14, 11:15 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (2017, D: ?) S: Depp

They're really taking their sweet time between sequels, aren't they?
Old 07-23-14, 12:20 PM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I like the rumored plot but with two reservations. Jack Sparrow should not be the lead and he doesn't need another love interest.

I'm not suggesting dumping Johnny Depp or reducing his role but they should take note of the format of the first movie. Johnny Depp was the star but Jack Sparrow was not the lead. Will and Elizabeth were the leads. I've said it before but this franchise should be a series of one shot movies where Jack Sparrow plays the wild card that turns the story of the leads upside down.
Totally agree. Sparrow was so good in the first one exactly because of his being secondary to what was going on.
Old 07-23-14, 12:28 PM   #93
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

They've indicated they're taking the monsters/beasties/supernatural out of the franchise, which sucks because that's a big reason I sat through those movies to begin with. Davy Jones was, and still is, one of the most impressive bits of CGI and effects I've seen.

The fourth, and least supernatural of the series, was also the hardest to actually sit through.
Old 07-23-14, 12:29 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

The better question, is anyone going to care about this movie 3 years from now? The last one sucked balls and 6 years between sequels isn't going to help.
Old 07-23-14, 12:31 PM   #95
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt think Bruckheimer would still be involved since he is no longer with Disney.
Old 07-23-14, 01:22 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah but Bruckheimer is fluent in money.
Old 07-23-14, 01:55 PM   #97
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Search For Johnny Depp A Hit
Old 07-23-14, 02:08 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
The better question, is anyone going to care about this movie 3 years from now? The last one sucked balls and 6 years between sequels isn't going to help.
But it'll do huge business overseas (not unlike Transformers 4).
Old 07-23-14, 02:12 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There are franchises out there that have put out multiple turds in a row and people will still line up for another one. As long as people are willing to pay, the studios will keep making them.

Last edited by inri222; 07-23-14 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 02:46 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
All of the Transformers movies have been even worse, and that hasn't stopped audiences from flocking to them in droves.
Gillian Flynn