Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: Depp

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: Depp

Old 05-19-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Old 05-21-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
Old 05-21-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
I think movie buffs like us may be over this series but there are still plenty of teen/early 20s girls who still love Captain Jack Sparrow. This might not break records but it'll do just fine.

And while I may not go to the theater to see this I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.
Old 05-21-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Won't be as bad as King Arthur. I am curious, who will win the box office between Johnny Depp or The Rock. Being a 3 day weekend, I'll probably see both.
Old 05-22-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Won't be as bad as King Arthur. I am curious, who will win the box office between Johnny Depp or The Rock. Being a 3 day weekend, I'll probably see both.
imo, it will be this, and it won't even be close. You have to remember an entire generation of kids grew up watching these movies, if they were 6 or 7 when the first came out they're now in their 20s and there's another generation behind them. Add that to the group that made the first movies popular that are still into them, and the broad appeal, and it should clean up pretty well, even if that means only a $200m domestic box office.

Additionally, six years is a long time between movies, far enough to remove the stink of a couple bad entries while reviving any fondness still around from the original.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 07:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's Disney, and this is one of their biggest franchises, so not in the least is this done. Perhaps a reboot of sorts, but it's far from over. And it will be successful. Compared to the first 3? Maybe not, but it won't bomb.
Old 05-22-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews are starting to roll out, they aren't nice
Old 05-22-17, 08:45 AM
Banned by request

This was seemed okay. At any rate, I may or may not watch this in the theater.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#6757507b375a
Old 05-22-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Did Disney ever pay the ransom on this or is there somewhere I can benefit of them not doing so?
Old 05-22-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had hopes this would be a "return to form" for the series, I guess not.
Old 05-22-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Additionally, six years is a long time between movies, far enough to remove the stink of a couple bad entries while reviving any fondness still around from the original.
But not long enough for people to forget headlines of Johnny Depp beating his wife.

Maybe the current 33% on RT will help put butts in seats

Opening over Memorial Day weekend will for sure help, but I bet this movie drops out of the top 5 after three weeks.
Old 05-22-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

But not long enough for people to forget headlines of Johnny Depp beating his wife.

Maybe the current 33% on RT will help put butts in seats

Opening over Memorial Day weekend will for sure help, but I bet this movie drops out of the top 5 after three weeks.
Well, with Wonder Woman opening a week later, The Mummy a week after that and Cars 3 a week after that (not to mention a few other new openers), looks likely.
Old 05-22-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I had hopes this would be a "return to form" for the series, I guess not.
Return to form? Isn't the first one the only good movie on this series. This is more like the norm
Old 05-22-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Return to form? Isn't the first one the only good movie on this series. This is more like the norm
I suppose, I actually liked the first two sequels to some extent, even though they had some issues. Both were better then the very forgettable On Stranger Tides.
Old 05-22-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
imo, it will be this, and it won't even be close. You have to remember an entire generation of kids grew up watching these movies, if they were 6 or 7 when the first came out they're now in their 20s and there's another generation behind them. Add that to the group that made the first movies popular that are still into them, and the broad appeal, and it should clean up pretty well, even if that means only a $200m domestic box office.

Probably right because of the rating (Baywatch being Rated R) but everything you just mentioned about age can also go to The Rock and those who watched the original Baywatch. I mean, has The Rock came out in a movie that didn't do well lately? And I doubt many forget the stink of the Pirates films, if they stunk to you (you being a general you)
Old 05-22-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Did Disney ever pay the ransom on this or is there somewhere I can benefit of them not doing so?
Isn't that what Firestick is for anyways?
Old 05-22-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think I only ever saw the first two of these and I only really watched them because my friend wanted me to go to the sequel with him so I watched the first either the night before or the day I went to the second. Never really got that into them but I've never been a huge fan of Depp.
Old 05-23-17, 07:04 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I will be seeing this Thursday night for sure. Seeing the first one in theatres is still one of my favorite movie experiences. I like that they are atleast trying to tie it in with the Turners. Also... it has Kaya Scodelario...

Reviews are at 35%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pir..._tell_no_tales
Old 05-23-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I don't like the movies past #1, I will say At Worlds End had some sublimely trippy visuals.
Old 05-27-17, 03:35 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I really wish they didn't ruin the KK and Paul cameos.
Old 05-28-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe it was because my expectations were very low after the reviews (my local guy gave it an F), I enjoyed this quite a bit, as did the people I was with.

I agree that the cameos would have been better off as a surprise.
Old 05-28-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For obvious reasons, Dead Men reminded me of CotBP. Although I did not see that in a theater, every acquaintance, friend, and family member did. Wasn't a fan of Depp and thought the idea of movie based on a theme ride wasn't going to work. When several of us got together for a movie night get-togethers, one of them brought the DVD.

Changed my mind.

At any rate, I give Dead Men a solid A. Without spoiling anything, I really I liked the way it ended for Jack Sparrow this time around. He seemed to be getting the short end of the stick at the end of the other films.

Only two things I can complain about. 1) Unlike the other Pirate films... and excepting the big chase thru town sequence, they showed a lot less of the rest of the (Caribbean) world (and cast) around them. 2) The missing crew members that made it through all the other movies. Particularly the wonky eye guy and his buddy... I know the buddy actor is a semi semi-regular (playing Grumpy) in Once Upon a Time, but with both being Disney productions I got to wonder why he at least wasn't in Dead Men. They managed to include the two silly British deserters... who brought a lot less humor and history to the story. Dead Men seems a smaller picture all around.

Do wonder about the last after-the-credits scenes. Is the franchise going to continue... and in a different direction?
Old 05-29-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
For obvious reasons, Dead Men reminded me of CotBP. Although I did not see that in a theater, every acquaintance, friend, and family member did. Wasn't a fan of Depp and thought the idea of movie based on a theme ride wasn't going to work. When several of us got together for a movie night get-togethers, one of them brought the DVD.

Changed my mind.

At any rate, I give Dead Men a solid A. Without spoiling anything, I really I liked the way it ended for Jack Sparrow this time around. He seemed to be getting the short end of the stick at the end of the other films.

Only two things I can complain about. 1) Unlike the other Pirate films... and excepting the big chase thru town sequence, they showed a lot less of the rest of the (Caribbean) world (and cast) around them. 2) The missing crew members that made it through all the other movies. Particularly the wonky eye guy and his buddy... I know the buddy actor is a semi semi-regular (playing Grumpy) in Once Upon a Time, but with both being Disney productions I got to wonder why he at least wasn't in Dead Men. They managed to include the two silly British deserters... who brought a lot less humor and history to the story. Dead Men seems a smaller picture all around.

Do wonder about the last after-the-credits scenes. Is the franchise going to continue... and in a different direction?
I think the crew member with the wonky eye and his buddy were absent from "On Stranger Tides" as well.
Old 05-29-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think movie buffs like us may be over this series but there are still plenty of teen/early 20s girls who still love Captain Jack Sparrow. This might not break records but it'll do just fine.

And while I may not go to the theater to see this I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.
I think people on these movie sites often forget about this. If Hollywood listened to folks on sites like this they'd miss out on billions of dollars every year because they didn't make whatever movie sequel "movie buffs" look down on. It's called the "Movie INDUSTRY" for a reason. $$$$$
Old 05-29-17, 10:40 AM
Banned by request

So estimates say it's made in $77 mil US, $300 worldwide - on the first weekend. May not have sea legs to continue past Wonder Woman, but that's a damn good first weekend pull. Rotten Tomatoes has this at 32%, but 75% audience score. So his could continue to make good money for the next few weeks, especially based on word of mouth saying it's better than expected.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.