Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-17, 12:32 AM   #226
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,092
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

__________________
"I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about." -- The Firm
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 08:57 PM   #227
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,401
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:11 PM   #228
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10,719
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
I think movie buffs like us may be over this series but there are still plenty of teen/early 20s girls who still love Captain Jack Sparrow. This might not break records but it'll do just fine.

And while I may not go to the theater to see this I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.
__________________
...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:53 PM   #229
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,321
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
Won't be as bad as King Arthur. I am curious, who will win the box office between Johnny Depp or The Rock. Being a 3 day weekend, I'll probably see both.
__________________
Horror Movie Challenge: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 07:45 AM   #230
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,516
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Won't be as bad as King Arthur. I am curious, who will win the box office between Johnny Depp or The Rock. Being a 3 day weekend, I'll probably see both.
imo, it will be this, and it won't even be close. You have to remember an entire generation of kids grew up watching these movies, if they were 6 or 7 when the first came out they're now in their 20s and there's another generation behind them. Add that to the group that made the first movies popular that are still into them, and the broad appeal, and it should clean up pretty well, even if that means only a $200m domestic box office.

Additionally, six years is a long time between movies, far enough to remove the stink of a couple bad entries while reviving any fondness still around from the original.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-17 at 07:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 07:49 AM   #231
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: (formerly known as trespoochies) Texas
Posts: 9,740
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I think the ship has sailed on this franchise. Overseas box office will probably be decent, but I have a feeling this will be one of the bigger bombs this summer compared to their budget.
It's Disney, and this is one of their biggest franchises, so not in the least is this done. Perhaps a reboot of sorts, but it's far from over. And it will be successful. Compared to the first 3? Maybe not, but it won't bomb.
__________________
"Whoa, did Walter Goggins fuck your mother?" - Osiris3657
Perhaps he did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:39 AM   #232
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,516
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Reviews are starting to roll out, they aren't nice
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:45 AM   #233
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: (formerly known as trespoochies) Texas
Posts: 9,740
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

This was seemed okay. At any rate, I may or may not watch this in the theater.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#6757507b375a
__________________
"Whoa, did Walter Goggins fuck your mother?" - Osiris3657
Perhaps he did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:52 AM   #234
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,359
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Did Disney ever pay the ransom on this or is there somewhere I can benefit of them not doing so?
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 09:32 AM   #235
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,032
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I had hopes this would be a "return to form" for the series, I guess not.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 02:27 PM   #236
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,401
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Additionally, six years is a long time between movies, far enough to remove the stink of a couple bad entries while reviving any fondness still around from the original.
But not long enough for people to forget headlines of Johnny Depp beating his wife.

Maybe the current 33% on RT will help put butts in seats

Opening over Memorial Day weekend will for sure help, but I bet this movie drops out of the top 5 after three weeks.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 02:41 PM   #237
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,092
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
But not long enough for people to forget headlines of Johnny Depp beating his wife.

Maybe the current 33% on RT will help put butts in seats

Opening over Memorial Day weekend will for sure help, but I bet this movie drops out of the top 5 after three weeks.
Well, with Wonder Woman opening a week later, The Mummy a week after that and Cars 3 a week after that (not to mention a few other new openers), looks likely.
__________________
"I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about." -- The Firm
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 02:43 PM   #238
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 3,018
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I had hopes this would be a "return to form" for the series, I guess not.
Return to form? Isn't the first one the only good movie on this series. This is more like the norm
__________________
My Reviews and Collection
RateYourMusic.com

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 04:48 PM   #239
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,032
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Return to form? Isn't the first one the only good movie on this series. This is more like the norm
I suppose, I actually liked the first two sequels to some extent, even though they had some issues. Both were better then the very forgettable On Stranger Tides.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 10:49 PM   #240
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,321
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
imo, it will be this, and it won't even be close. You have to remember an entire generation of kids grew up watching these movies, if they were 6 or 7 when the first came out they're now in their 20s and there's another generation behind them. Add that to the group that made the first movies popular that are still into them, and the broad appeal, and it should clean up pretty well, even if that means only a $200m domestic box office.

Additionally, six years is a long time between movies, far enough to remove the stink of a couple bad entries while reviving any fondness still around from the original.
Probably right because of the rating (Baywatch being Rated R) but everything you just mentioned about age can also go to The Rock and those who watched the original Baywatch. I mean, has The Rock came out in a movie that didn't do well lately? And I doubt many forget the stink of the Pirates films, if they stunk to you (you being a general you)
__________________
Horror Movie Challenge: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 10:49 PM   #241
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,321
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Did Disney ever pay the ransom on this or is there somewhere I can benefit of them not doing so?
Isn't that what Firestick is for anyways?
__________________
Horror Movie Challenge: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 11:31 PM   #242
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,742
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I think I only ever saw the first two of these and I only really watched them because my friend wanted me to go to the sequel with him so I watched the first either the night before or the day I went to the second. Never really got that into them but I've never been a huge fan of Depp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 07:04 AM   #243
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,412
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I will be seeing this Thursday night for sure. Seeing the first one in theatres is still one of my favorite movie experiences. I like that they are atleast trying to tie it in with the Turners. Also... it has Kaya Scodelario...

Reviews are at 35%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pir..._tell_no_tales
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 08:32 AM   #244
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,516
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

While I don't like the movies past #1, I will say At Worlds End had some sublimely trippy visuals.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 03:35 PM   #245
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,412
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

I really wish they didn't ruin the KK and Paul cameos.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 01:02 PM   #246
Senior Member
 
JeremyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 587
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Maybe it was because my expectations were very low after the reviews (my local guy gave it an F), I enjoyed this quite a bit, as did the people I was with.

I agree that the cameos would have been better off as a surprise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 04:54 PM   #247
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,711
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

For obvious reasons, Dead Men reminded me of CotBP. Although I did not see that in a theater, every acquaintance, friend, and family member did. Wasn't a fan of Depp and thought the idea of movie based on a theme ride wasn't going to work. When several of us got together for a movie night get-togethers, one of them brought the DVD.

Changed my mind.

At any rate, I give Dead Men a solid A. Without spoiling anything, I really I liked the way it ended for Jack Sparrow this time around. He seemed to be getting the short end of the stick at the end of the other films.

Only two things I can complain about. 1) Unlike the other Pirate films... and excepting the big chase thru town sequence, they showed a lot less of the rest of the (Caribbean) world (and cast) around them. 2) The missing crew members that made it through all the other movies. Particularly the wonky eye guy and his buddy... I know the buddy actor is a semi semi-regular (playing Grumpy) in Once Upon a Time, but with both being Disney productions I got to wonder why he at least wasn't in Dead Men. They managed to include the two silly British deserters... who brought a lot less humor and history to the story. Dead Men seems a smaller picture all around.

Do wonder about the last after-the-credits scenes. Is the franchise going to continue... and in a different direction?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 08:09 AM   #248
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,803
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
For obvious reasons, Dead Men reminded me of CotBP. Although I did not see that in a theater, every acquaintance, friend, and family member did. Wasn't a fan of Depp and thought the idea of movie based on a theme ride wasn't going to work. When several of us got together for a movie night get-togethers, one of them brought the DVD.

Changed my mind.

At any rate, I give Dead Men a solid A. Without spoiling anything, I really I liked the way it ended for Jack Sparrow this time around. He seemed to be getting the short end of the stick at the end of the other films.

Only two things I can complain about. 1) Unlike the other Pirate films... and excepting the big chase thru town sequence, they showed a lot less of the rest of the (Caribbean) world (and cast) around them. 2) The missing crew members that made it through all the other movies. Particularly the wonky eye guy and his buddy... I know the buddy actor is a semi semi-regular (playing Grumpy) in Once Upon a Time, but with both being Disney productions I got to wonder why he at least wasn't in Dead Men. They managed to include the two silly British deserters... who brought a lot less humor and history to the story. Dead Men seems a smaller picture all around.

Do wonder about the last after-the-credits scenes. Is the franchise going to continue... and in a different direction?
I think the crew member with the wonky eye and his buddy were absent from "On Stranger Tides" as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 10:17 AM   #249
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,498
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I think movie buffs like us may be over this series but there are still plenty of teen/early 20s girls who still love Captain Jack Sparrow. This might not break records but it'll do just fine.

And while I may not go to the theater to see this I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.
I think people on these movie sites often forget about this. If Hollywood listened to folks on sites like this they'd miss out on billions of dollars every year because they didn't make whatever movie sequel "movie buffs" look down on. It's called the "Movie INDUSTRY" for a reason. $$$$$
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 10:40 AM   #250
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: (formerly known as trespoochies) Texas
Posts: 9,740
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017, Sandberg & Ronning) S: D

So estimates say it's made in $77 mil US, $300 worldwide - on the first weekend. May not have sea legs to continue past Wonder Woman, but that's a damn good first weekend pull. Rotten Tomatoes has this at 32%, but 75% audience score. So his could continue to make good money for the next few weeks, especially based on word of mouth saying it's better than expected.
__________________
"Whoa, did Walter Goggins fuck your mother?" - Osiris3657
Perhaps he did.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0