Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 2's 20th Anniversary!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 2's 20th Anniversary!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 2's 20th Anniversary!

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Titanic is only fun to watch when the big boat starts sinking, Avatar is nothing more than a leftist message movie.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point was just that you said he hadn't made a good movie since True Lies. Well, he's only made 2 since then and you haven't liked either of them.

Semantics really, but I just found it kind of odd that you seemed to imply that he'd made a bunch of movies since True Lies that haven't been any good. He's only made 2.
Old 07-05-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Titanic is only fun to watch when the big boat starts sinking, Avatar is nothing more than a leftist message movie.
Avatar is like a big budget Roger Rabbit about Ferngully.
Old 07-05-11, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Anyway, good movie but then and now I like Predator and Die Hard more.
Die Hard = badass ninja

Terminator 2 = fatass sumo wrestler

Or something like that.
Old 07-05-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

My list:
Terminator 2
Terminator

I enjoy Terminator 3 seen it about 4-5 times but for some reason I refuse to believe it's a sequel. It's just not the right sequel. Arnold should have been a bad guy again in the 3rd one.

Have not seen Terminator 4 and have no interest.
Old 07-06-11, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this at the drive-in when I was 10! I don't remember much about it other than we missed a few minutes of the film and arrived as Arnold was riding the motorcycle down the freeway. It was pretty cool though to see on the big screen. I do recall all the hype before it's release and loving that teaser trailer in the original post and the other trailers released at the time, which really did make me want to see the film pronto.

But it wasn't until vhs that I saw the film a bit more and at one point used to own the widescreen 2 tape extended edition release. I haven't watched the film in years though, and do like the original film much more than T2, but it's still a good film and better than the sequels that followed.

I think when I do rewatch the film again, I'll check out the theatrical version since it's been years since I saw it. I have the Extreme dvd, so I know the theatrical version is hidden as an easter egg basically and I'll have to figure out how to access it.
Old 07-06-11, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow....you messed the future war? Damn. I still love that scene and it's also one of my fav opening scenes as well.
Old 07-07-11, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
wow....you messed the future war? Damn. I still love that scene and it's also one of my fav opening scenes as well.
Yeah, it wasn't until vhs that I saw the opening scene of the film and the credits. But then my parents + relatives were never good with getting to movies on time then. I saw Batman in 1989 for example and we missed the entire opening of the film. Things have greatly improved since then though, where I/we usually arrive on time and sit through the end credits as well for the full experience.
Old 08-22-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just watched it again. Still awesome. Robert Patrick gives a flawless performance as a determined automaton with only one mission for existence.

The scene in the psych hospital when Sarah tries to escape is still riveting. Little memorable moments are sprinkled throughout, like when the new terminator runs after Arnold and steps on the fallen sunglasses.
Old 08-22-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I finally got see T2 on the big screen thanks to the Alamo Drafthouse about a year ago, and it was incredible. On the biggest theater there, and shook the place many times. I would love to see it again on the big screen.
Old 08-22-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My parents took me to this movie the day it came out, and before hand I saw no TV spots or trailers just posters. My sister had never seen Terminator, so one afternoon we watched it on HBO. Directly after we went to the theater to see T2, me a second time and her the first time. That was an awesome summer. I think in terms of action movies T2 is perfection.
Old 08-22-15, 09:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Rare movie that I saw twice in theaters. Just cause I saw it with different people not necessarily because I loved it, but have come to enjoy it more now and look forward to revisiting...
Old 08-22-15, 09:52 PM

I would love to see it again on the big screen.
I would love to see it in IMAX.
Old 08-22-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm sure ArcLight Presents will have it back. They had it at the Hollywood location last year or the year before that and Robert Patrick was there for a Q&A but i had to work, so I missed out.
Old 08-22-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rewatch T1,2, and 3 recently and I still really enjoy all 3. T1 is a classic, but the hotel scene is just awful. Reese is like a time traveling stalker.... it feels really forced in order for the whole time loop of Connor.

T2 is great, even though it is quite goofy in many respect. Liquid terminator is just awesome and the thumbs up in the end is just about the perfect ending.

T3 gets a lot of crap, and I never understood it. That big tractor scene is still the highlight and I love the humor. The funniest line of the original trilogy for me was "Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death." I also love the inevitability and grim ending, it is very dark and disturbing. Yes, terminatrix is kinda stupid but it is impossible to top Robert Patrick so it has nowhere to go but down.

I was not disappointed, it is definitely one of my favorite trilogies. Don't really care for Salvation, it is completely forgettable and I have not bothered to watch the recent one.
Old 08-22-15, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lastblade
T3 gets a lot of crap, and I never understood it. That big tractor scene is still the highlight and I love the humor. The funniest line of the original trilogy for me was "Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death." I also love the inevitability and grim ending, it is very dark and disturbing. Yes, terminatrix is kinda stupid but it is impossible to top Robert Patrick so it has nowhere to go but down.
I'm with you on T3. I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it then. I've rewatched it several times (FFing over the shitty parts).
Old 08-22-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
My parents took me to this movie the day it came out, and before hand I saw no TV spots or trailers just posters.
GNR's "You can could be mine" video was completely engraved in my mind before I watched it. And even though I was expecting nearly every action-beat of the movie thanks to that video, the movie still surpassed expectations big time.

Edited for old age purposes.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 08-23-15 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
GNR's "You can be mine" video was completely engraved in my mind before I watched it. And even though I was expecting nearly every action-beat of the movie thanks to that video, the movie still surpassed expectations big time.

It's funny my mom was always so careful about what I got to watch on TV, etc etc that I never got to watch a ton of MTV until THAT summer. I caught the video about a week after the movie came out. Come to think of it, I watched a LOT of MTV that summer, and looking back....wow MTV sucks now.
Old 08-23-15, 08:38 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this in theaters, but at an old-fashioned mom-and-pop theatre with one screen. Still, the place was always packed every night, so it was fun watching movies there. I wish it was still open. At least it was used recently for a new film called A Kind of Murder:

I saw this movie when I was 10 as well. Shame on Julie Walker, because I remembered seeing this movie very well at that age.
Old 02-22-17, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I have been following the T2 facebook page and Terminator 2 is being released this summer in 3d. August 25th to be exact, last year was its 25th anniversary, so we are getting it a year late. Cameron also did a facebook live video last week since the 3d version premiered at a film festival in Berlin on February 17th.
http://www.theterminatorfans.com/ter...release-dates/
THEATRICAL RELEASE DATES ARE SET FOR TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY 3D
STUDIOCANAL and DMG ENTERTAINMENT are glad to announce the theatrical release dates for James Cameron’s TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY 3D:

AUGUST 24 2017 – Australia
AUGUST 25 2017 – UK
AUGUST 25 2017 – USA
AUGUST 29 2017 – Germany
SEPTEMBER 20 2017 – France
STUDIOCANAL will be releasing in the UK, France, Germany, Australia and New Zealand, and Distrib Films will be releasing in the US.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D Synopsis:
It has been 10 years since the events of Terminator. Sarah Connor’s ordeal is only just beginning as she struggles to protect her son John, the future leader of the human resistance against the machines, from a new Terminator, sent back in time to eliminate John Connor while he’s still a child.

Sarah and John don’t have to face this terrifying threat alone however. The human resistance have managed to send them an ally, a warrior from the future ordered to protect John Connor at any cost.

The battle for tomorrow has begun….

James Cameron’s epic action, sci-fi masterpiece starring Schwarzenegger in his most iconic role, has been converted in immersive 3D by Cameron himself. First hitting our screens in 1991 with groundbreaking special effects, the 3D version will take the seminal blockbuster to the next level of effects and into the 21st century for the next generation of fans.

About Terminator 2: 3D’s restoration:
The project was initiated by Lightstorm (lei), James Cameron’s production company, DMG Entertainment and STUDIOCANAL. James Cameron’s team oversaw this 3D conversion from start to finish. This highly experienced and award-winning team had already supervised Titanic’s 3D conversion and is currently working on the Avatar sequels.

The original 35mm negative was scanned and then restored in 4k at Deluxe L.A., under the supervision of Geoff Burdick, Lightstorm. The film was calibrated in 4k by Skip, James Cameron’s colorist, at Technicolor Hollywood, with a selection of the best 35mm prints from the film’s first release. The film was then converted into 3D by Stereo D (Star Wars, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic world).

This work lasted almost a year and was monitored daily by Lightstorm’s teams, to produce a high-end 3D version at the level of the latest 3D releases from U.S. Studios.

The 3D version then benefited from a calibration and a specific finish at Technicolor Hollywood, still under the supervision of Skip and James Cameron himself.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-22-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm going to be seeing this ... like 50 times.
Old 02-22-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

So, why can't they release The Abyss and True Lies on HD? I guess doing an unnecessary 3D T2 is more important. Cameron is not getting my money with this one.
Old 02-22-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If The Abyss gets rereleased, I promise to see it 10 times. If True Lies gets rereleased, I promise to see it 30 times.
Old 02-22-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Old 02-22-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

THE ABYSS would be pretty nice in 3D, actually. TRUE LIES, too. But I'll take T2 for now, especially if it gets a disc release that rounds up all the earlier supplemental material. Anything that keeps 3D humming along despite the premature assumptions of TV manufacturers is worth supporting.
Old 02-22-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh shit. I forgot about Aliens. I'm going to park my car in front of Harkins and camp there if that gets rereleased in 3D.