Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
10.81%
26.13%
27.03%
10.81%
10.81%
7.21%
3.60%
1.80%
0%
0.90%
0%
It arrives. But, I won’t.
0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Old 07-18-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Pizza
None of the kids seemed to know how to run away from the train. They kept running along side with it.
The train was exploding all over the place. The scene was chaotic. How would anyone know exactly which way was safe?

I will agree that the third act was a slight letdown after the nearly perfect first two, but overall, I loved this thing. A great homage to the movies of my childhood. And J.J. Abrams is fast becoming a favorite director of mine. Mission Impossible III, Star Trek, and now Super 8.

Day one Blu-ray purchase.

--THX
Old 12-07-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Just finished watching this, and honestly don't see what the hype was all about. A big "meh" from me. I love how Alice's dad's car didn't have a scratch on it after the train crash destroyed everything else in the vicinity. Yea yea, nitpicking, but I didn't "feel the magic" at all. Felt like it was trying too hard to be this generation's ET.
Old 12-09-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched this again on blu ray and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Overall, it received very favorable reviews but I'm actually kinda surprised by how much it got dumped on. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a great summer movie. Nice mix of comedy, action, adventure and even a tiny bit of horror. When I first saw it I was disappointed with the alien design but after watching it again it wasn't that bad. It obviously won't end up being a famous and iconic alien but it was good enough. I think a lot of people thought the ending was lame but I actually really liked it. I think maybe a lot of people got blinded by the hype machine--there was so much hype for this movie that it was probably impossible to live up to expectations. I actually thought it was a really good movie though.
Old 12-10-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just caught this yesterday and didn't really know about the movie as i was abroad when it came out. It was a good 60 minutes of excellent child acting and then 30 minutes of disappointment. I felt it was missing a whole lot of interaction with the kids and the alien... them discovering more and more would have made the two stories meld better. Then as soon as things start getting good, the alien just beams up.
I paid 4.99 to watch it on Amazon, it was worth it. Not a penny more.
Old 12-10-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I just caught this yesterday and didn't really know about the movie as i was abroad when it came out. It was a good 60 minutes of excellent child acting and then 30 minutes of disappointment. I felt it was missing a whole lot of interaction with the kids and the alien... them discovering more and more would have made the two stories meld better. Then as soon as things start getting good, the alien just beams up.
I paid 4.99 to watch it on Amazon, it was worth it. Not a penny more.
Personally I don't think there was any reason for the kids to interact with the alien. The alien had spent over 20 years locked up and had grown to hate the human race and for all that time the only thing it wanted to do was leave the planet. The alien wasn't good or evil. It was just a prisoner and the first chance it got to escape that's exactly what it did. This thing wasn't ET. ET had a psychic connection with the kid and by the end of the movie ET grew to love the kid. The alien in Super 8 didn't give a shit about anything other than getting off the planet Earth. There really wasn't much to discover. The alien escaped and then immediately started to manufacture a plan to get off the planet and go home or wherever.
Old 12-12-11, 09:50 PM
Banned

Boring kids. Boring father/son relationship. Boring alien design. Boring movie.
Old 12-29-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got a chance to see this and thought it was very good, but not great. 4 stars for me, as it turned pretty cheesy in the last 20 minutes or so, with both a really poor alien design and a really hokey ending with the spaceship and the giant magnet. Everything else leading up to it I enjoyed quite a bit though, and I thought the train crash scene was absolutely amazing. The kids all did a pretty solid job, and i'm usually someone that gets annoyed by children in movies. Elle Fanning in particular was wonderful. Despite a bunch of annoyances here and there (like Woodward living through the train crash mentioned earlier) it didn't really bother me enough and I was hooked and interest in seeing how things unfolded throughout the entire movie.
Old 12-29-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Boring kids. Boring father/son relationship. Boring alien design. Boring movie.
So, 4-stars from you huh?
Seriously though, it sounds like you might have been in a bad mood when you watched this one.
You didn't find a single thing likeable about the film?
Old 12-29-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not like he can answer you.
Old 12-30-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha. What did he do to get suspended?
Old 12-30-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I finally got a chance to see this and thought it was very good, but not great. 4 stars for me, as it turned pretty cheesy in the last 20 minutes or so, with both a really poor alien design and a really hokey ending with the spaceship and the giant magnet. Everything else leading up to it I enjoyed quite a bit though, and I thought the train crash scene was absolutely amazing. The kids all did a pretty solid job, and i'm usually someone that gets annoyed by children in movies. Elle Fanning in particular was wonderful. Despite a bunch of annoyances here and there (like Woodward living through the train crash mentioned earlier) it didn't really bother me enough and I was hooked and interest in seeing how things unfolded throughout the entire movie.

I had the same reaction. It became just too unbelievable in the end for me. The kids just happen to break into the school and stumble on the top secret tape? Cmon. And we're supposed to feel sorry for the alien even though it was killing and capturing people?
Old 12-30-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Ha ha. What did he do to get suspended?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11053330-post37.html

or a post like it.
Old 12-30-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
So, a real "community oriented" person?
Old 12-30-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
And we're supposed to feel sorry for the alien even though it was killing and capturing people?
It was just trying to survive. Like you killing and eating a squirrel you caught if you were lost in the woods. It could have gone on a murderous rampage, but it didn't.
Old 12-30-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
So, a real "community oriented" person?
It was kind of interesting to read his post progession. Basically all his anger can be traced back to the Alien prequel thread. His posts were at least somewhat normal, but as soon as he started posting in that thread, everything went to hell.
Old 03-13-12, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The fact that the scene between Ron Eldard and Kyle Chandler has far more emotional weight than anything else in the film, is a perfect summation of why this is a very flawed movie.
Old 03-13-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Finally saw this over the weekend. Enjoyed it.
Old 03-20-20, 12:13 AM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I showed this to my 6- and 8-year-old kids today and they loved it. I sold it as "Stranger Things: The Movie" and that got them curious (they've seen season one). They were all about the teenagers, Alice was really cool, the Star Wars stuff in the bedrooms, and they really got into the tension, especially during the ending. A good talk about life and death with Joe's mom, too, and the importance of talking about our feelings. They were floored by the kids' movie during the credits and asked about making a movie. I said sure, write it, let's do it. We shall see...
The following users liked this post:
candyrocket786 (03-20-20)