Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Complaining About Theater Experience

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Complaining About Theater Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Complaining About Theater Experience

Originally Posted by starman9000
I'm more annoyed by people chomping on popcorn and rattling candy packages than texting, but they both suck.
Nah I've been hearing popcorn and candy at the movies ever since my first movie. Thats part of the experience. Oh wait thats me eating the popcorn...
Old 05-24-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I think the only time I went to a manager was when I had rushed to go see a movie. It was the last showing of the day, and it was the last day that the movie (Gangs of New York) was showing. I bought my ticket online, rushed to the theater and arrived just in time. My ticket was taken like normal, and I went into the theater. Something was already playing. It looked like a preview for Shanghai Knights. I sat down for a minute or two before I realized that it IS Shanghai Knights. Ugh. I was then informed they decided to cancel the last showing since there hadn't been many tickets sold. They gave me my money back and said I could still go see Shanghai Knights. I didn't bother trying to explain just how different a movie-going experience Shanghai Knights would be from Gang of New York, but it was the only time I had ever gotten angry enough to speak to the theater manager.
Old 05-24-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Two things annoy me when going to the movies. Actually, they only happen to me when going to Cinemark for some reason.

1.) My friends and I usually get to new releases an hour or so early to stand in line and get good seats. What happens? People walk in to a packed theater during the trailers and the Cinemark ushers come up and almost always ask us to move so these people can sit together. We generally say no and advise the usher that there are still seats in the front rows. If they get moody with us, which has happened once or twice, we'll suggest that they should have been there early to get better seats. I wouldn't expect people to move for my late ass either. Now if the entire theater is packed including the seats in the first 2-3 rows, I'd just move over. Just pisses me off when I'm asked to move when there are plenty of open seats elsewhere.

2.) Cinemark does a terrible job kicking rowdy teens out. When we went to see Due Date there were four teens next to us basically yelling at each other and fooling around for the first 10 minutes. One of them decided to throw a full popcorn and a drink on the floor we had to walk over. They got up and left within 20 mins or so. Perhaps they snuck in, perhaps they're just dumb. Who knows! Of course, no employee asked them to cut it out.
Old 05-24-11, 05:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I handled customer complaints at my theater I was usually pretty understanding. I know how awful and inconsiderate people can be, so if someone complained about people talking or using cell phones I'd apologize or give them passes.

What blows my mind are the amount of people who complain because they didn't like the movie. Now, you may not realize this, but movie theaters don't make the movies. We just show the movies. All we can guarantee is that you will see the movie without defects. If something goes wrong technically, that's on us, and you will get passes or a refund. But if you didn't like the movie, tough titty. Send a letter to the studio.

Also, the amount of complaints I got from people who wanted to bring in outside food despite our signs saying NO OUTSIDE FOOD never got any sympathy from me. Fuck you for trying to bring in a whole pizza to eat in the theater or a family takeout dinner from Boston Market. Just hide your food like normal people and at least realize you're breaking the rules. Dicks.
Old 05-24-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I'm pretty lax until someone keeps moving or digging into the back of my chair to where I stand up and yell "what the fuck?" But the only thing I ever remember complaining to the staff about was if the theater was really hot. Nothing worse than a hot theater.
I was watching Hellboy 2 with a buddy. The back of my seat was getting kicked constantly throughout the movie. I finally got fed up, got up and yelled at the person. Turns out is was some girl who appeared to be mentally challenged. I actually felt a little bad that I yelled at her. Had I seen her before the movie, I probably wouldn't have yelled. I still get shit from my friend about that incident.
Old 05-24-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
... What does get me to bitch out a manager is an improperly framed movie; I don't want any of the image off the screen. One of the theaters I frequent constantly has the movie hanging over a couple feet onto the adjoining wall. It has gotten to the point where they don't want to hear from me anymore, they know what I’m gonna complain about and pretty much just roll their eyes.

I also can't stand when they leave the lights on. I remember seeing Mulholland Dr. and it took me 3 separate trips out of the theater to get the lights dimmed.
I feel your pain and agree.

If this is a chronic problem (and it certainly appears to be), here's a sure cure. Ask for a refund. Do it enough times (and it sounds like that won't be difficult) and they'll get the message. And, if they're a chain theater and they still don't get their act together, complain to the regional headquarters.

Everything else you mentioned that doesn't bother you all that much, does tend to irritate me. An occasional interruption is understandable, but when it's constant, it's really irritating.

Talking (at any volume) or texting that doesn't stop, crying/noisy kids, excessive coughing, or other noise for any reason... there's no excuse. If you're ill and can't stop sniffling, sneezing, coughing or whatever, you have my sympathy for your suffering, but please leave. You have no business being in a theater. Except for appropriate laughing, cheering and applause at the end, there is no reason for any other noise to be made.

Really... it doesn't take much for a perfect theater going experience. Decent projection, good sound, and appropriate behavior on the part of the audience. How hard is that.

Twits who can't go two hours without communicating the hourly minutia of their pathetic lives need to leave. I'm surprised at people who attempt to justify certain behavior by saying that movie going is a social activity. In a theater, making phones calls, texting and excessive/inappropriate noise is anti-social activity.

That said, it's never reached a point where I had to complain.

Last edited by Jon2; 05-24-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Almost all my theatrical movie experiences has been bad. People texting, people munching on popcorn and sipping drinks, and people whispering loudly and babies crying.

Of all the movies I have seen Superman Returns was the only crowd that was so quiet. People were on their best behavior.

Last movie I saw was "I am Legend" and I was upset how many teens were texting and munching on popcorn. The only good moment was this guy's girlfriend that passed right on front of me and her ass almost touched my face and boy that ass was sweet. Still that didn't make up for my horrible experience. I left the theater.
Old 05-24-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I've complained to the managers about:
1. Kids
2. Focus
3. Framing
4. Sound problems
5. Credits. I once went to a movie that the projectionist turned the movie off half way thru the end credits (even though I was the only one in the theater).
Old 05-25-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last two times I have been to the theater there has been either someone talking and texting or bringing a group of 3-4 year olds.
And the worst part is that when you ask someone to be quiet, they can't just stop, they have to argue with or threaten you.
Old 05-25-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I think the only time I went to a manager was when I had rushed to go see a movie. It was the last showing of the day, and it was the last day that the movie (Gangs of New York) was showing. I bought my ticket online, rushed to the theater and arrived just in time. My ticket was taken like normal, and I went into the theater. Something was already playing. It looked like a preview for Shanghai Knights. I sat down for a minute or two before I realized that it IS Shanghai Knights. Ugh. I was then informed they decided to cancel the last showing since there hadn't been many tickets sold. They gave me my money back and said I could still go see Shanghai Knights. I didn't bother trying to explain just how different a movie-going experience Shanghai Knights would be from Gang of New York, but it was the only time I had ever gotten angry enough to speak to the theater manager.
I think you were marginally better off with SHANGHAI KNIGHTS (but only marginally).

That is a funny story, though.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-25-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I was watching Hellboy 2 with a buddy. The back of my seat was getting kicked constantly throughout the movie. I finally got fed up, got up and yelled at the person. Turns out is was some girl who appeared to be mentally challenged. I actually felt a little bad that I yelled at her. Had I seen her before the movie, I probably wouldn't have yelled. I still get shit from my friend about that incident.
That would suck if you said "What are you...fucking retarded or something..." before you fully turned around.
Old 05-25-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
When I handled customer complaints at my theater I was usually pretty understanding. I know how awful and inconsiderate people can be, so if someone complained about people talking or using cell phones I'd apologize or give them passes.
Oooo. I bet you have some stories. My best story is that I was forced to give two free tickets to an old couple who argued and insisted Fellowship of the Ring robbed them of closure. A fed up customer actually stepped in with his "that was a great movie" and "there are other parts to the movie" argument (which they wouldn't hear from me).

I've only ever gone out and said something once or twice. I think one time I didn't have sound. And one time it had the wrong ratio/format.

Also, I usually sit in the front "non stadium" seats. So I'm often times away from texters and munchers.
Old 05-25-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
That would suck if you said "What are you...fucking retarded or something..." before you fully turned around.
But it would be hilarious if he said "What are you... fucking retarded or something?"... AFTER he turned around.
Old 05-25-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I've complained to the managers about:
1. Kids
2. Focus
3. Framing
4. Sound problems
5. Credits. I once went to a movie that the projectionist turned the movie off half way thru the end credits (even though I was the only one in the theater).
I'm a credit reader too. I know we're in the minority but I still like reading them. That does suck when they turn them off early. I also hate it when people in front of me stand up to leave and then don't and just stand there watching the credits blocking my view. Not really a big deal but annoying all the same.
Old 05-25-11, 05:36 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I've only complained once. I went to see ME, MYSELF, AND IRENE. Not sure what was happening and didn't get a valid explanation either, but the film stopped 8-10 different times during the screening. It got so bad that they turned the house lights up a few times and apologized and said the problem would be fixed shortly. I have been to showings before where the movie stopped and the house lights were brought up, but it was never this excessive. I didn't stick around to see the ending. After the last time I left and went to talk to a manager, and they apologized but didn't offer any sore of refund when I asked. I haver never been back to that theater.
Old 05-25-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm a credit reader too. I know we're in the minority but I still like reading them. That does suck when they turn them off early. I also hate it when people in front of me stand up to leave and then don't and just stand there watching the credits blocking my view. Not really a big deal but annoying all the same.
I actually got free passes for future use from it. I explained that I'm in the industry and credits mean a helluva lot to us. I have a lot of friends and colleagues in the vfx industry and have seen the politics involved with receiving credit.
Old 05-25-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

that happened to me during the original Hangover. i was sort of pissed because I knew there was more, but I didn't bother complaining. probably could've gotten a free movie out of it, though.
Old 05-25-11, 07:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only complain to the manager when I miss a good chunk of the movie. Fir example, when I saw "Hannibal," the light on the projector blew out and I missed the brain eating scene. When I saw Inception, half of the lights in the theater came with 30 minutes left in the movie. There were a couple other incidents, but when something like this happens, I'm getting a free movie ticket.

When I saw True Grit a fight broke out 10 minutes into the movie and they stopped the projection, brought the police in, arrested the people, then started the movie where we left off. Wasn't the theater's fault but still, the movie was stopped. Got a free ticket.
Old 05-25-11, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with you about the credits. I have friends that are in the industry, and I like to look for their names, and see how many I know. I would love more than anything for people to sit down and finish the movie, until the lights come up, but that is never going to happen.
Old 05-25-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I actually got free passes for future use from it. I explained that I'm in the industry and credits mean a helluva lot to us. I have a lot of friends and colleagues in the vfx industry and have seen the politics involved with receiving credit.
I remember the end credits for 300 starting up and being pretty spectacular and the audience, which had enjoyed the film, all remained seated. Then, less than a minute after the end credits started, the projector went off, the lights went up, and we were royally pissed and stormed the manager's office as a group. And we all got free passes.

The only other time I remember demanding and getting a free pass was in a Times Square theater showing TERMINATOR 2 when the projector bulb went out during a crucial action scene. We could hear the soundtrack and all the shooting and cars squealing but the screen was dark. So we went out and demanded attention. At that point the projectionist scurried back from wherever the f*** he was and unlocked the door to the projection booth and quickly entered and locked it behind him. We got free passes even though some of us opted to go back in and see the rest of the movie now that a new bulb was about to be put in. (I don't know which bulb was dimmer--the projector's or the projectionist's.)
Old 12-11-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to The Muppets today. YAYYYY!

Behind me to the left was a mentally challenged individual who repeated lines, oohed and aahed, and said "UH OH!" when anything happened. His chaperone said nothing. Nothing I could do, since I can't very well yell as someone like that, and I was too lazy to move. He really seemed to enjoy the movie though.

Two rows in front of me, a young boy with no appreciation of the Muppets got restless quickly and started fidgeting. His parents, to their credit, told him to "sit fucking still", smacked him good when he didn't listen, then left the theater when he started bawling. Insert Statler & Waldorf laugh.

Behind me to the right was a dick who announced to his companion the name of every cameo as they appeared. The companion responded, "Yeah, I see." EVERY time.
Old 12-12-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Behind me to the left was a mentally challenged individual who repeated lines, oohed and aahed, and said "UH OH!" when anything happened. His chaperone said nothing. Nothing I could do, since I can't very well yell as someone like that, and I was too lazy to move. He really seemed to enjoy the movie though.
If his chaperone can't keep him quiet, he shouldn't be in a theater. If anyone of any age can't be quiet, they should wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray.

I yelled at a family with noisy kids in HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE to be quiet. They assumed they had a free pass to be noisy because it was a kids movie and actually complained to the manager about me; the mother actually said "I'm going to get you kicked out for talking like that." She came back in a huff and muttered to her kids "You need to be quiet or we can't come back."

Thankfully that theater has always had no tolerance for noise from anyone. I only wish I could have seen the exchange of her complaining I told them to shut up and her likely being asked if her kids were making noise.

I will admit to being an ass and yelling at kids to be quiet in a specifically marked family matinee of "G-FORCE" at a second run theater. It was honestly the only movie playing I hadn't seen and was in an area with nothing else to do for a few hours.
Old 12-12-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Can't stand this. So inconsiderate. They figure they're not interested so no one else could be either.
Old 12-12-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that's ever gotten me to complain is misframing. It always blows my mind that I always appear to be the only person complaining about it, too.
Old 12-12-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I complained about a recent experience where the AC was turned off in the theater, the picture was out of focus and the sound didn't match the screen. Pretty much the worst possible experience.

Manager gave me a large popcorn and a large soda for free, and two free passes. I felt that was pretty cool of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.