Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Daredevil 2 (Carnahan?) - News, Rumors, Cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Daredevil 2 (Carnahan?) - News, Rumors, Cast

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox decides to reboot Daredevil

Because of the deal Disney has with Marvel, studios other than Disney-owned properties must sell back the rights to Marvel characters if they have no plans to produce a movie with that character. As such, Fox decided to give Daredevil another go - but with a (much, much needed) reboot.

It's Daredevil, the movie named after the sight-challenged hero played originally by Ben Affleck. Regency is mounting the remake with former News Corp No. 2 Peter Chernin producing. Writing the redo is screenwriter David Scarpa, who scripted The Day The Earth Stood Still for Fox, which will distribute Daredevil 2.0 or whatever it's going to be called.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/ex...ero-to-reboot/
Old 02-07-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Fox decides to reboot Daredevil

Even as someone that liked Daredevil, particularly the director's cut, this isn't really a surprise.
Old 02-07-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I think the existing version is fine for what it is. Is anyone really clamoring for another Daredevil movie?
There are plenty of other comic book characters that deserve a first movie before Daredevil gets a second.
Old 02-07-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I think the existing version is fine for what it is. Is anyone really clamoring for another Daredevil movie?
There are plenty of other comic book characters that deserve a first movie before Daredevil gets a second.
I agree, but if you read what the OP said, they are doing this so they retain the rights to the character and don't lose them because of Disney buying Marvel. Same reason another Spider-Man is being released and another Fantastic Four I believe. They just don't want to lose those properties.
Old 02-07-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never got the hate for the first one, I thought it was decent
Old 02-07-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I also liked Daredevil. Even though I'm not a huge Ben Affleck fan, he and Jennifer Garner had amazing chemistry in it and it didn't surprise that they would eventually hook up and marry. Very good action and I thought the R-rated version was even better.
Old 02-07-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

I'm cool with this and I'd check out the reboot.
Old 02-07-10, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Why don't they just reboot Thor, while they're at it?
Old 02-07-10, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Reboot" should be declared the word of the decade. Fuck's sake.
Old 02-07-10, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dear hollywood-

go fuck yourself.

sincerely,
me
Old 02-07-10, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope this languishes and it reverts back to Marvel; maybe then, they'll be able to work out deals with other studios to do cross-overs and for the Kingpin to be both in Spiderman and Daredevil's film universe.
Old 02-07-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daredevil 2.0 will not work as David Scarpa is a less talented screenwriter than Mark Steven Johnson. Most will argue that Johnson is a weak screenwriter (probably weaker director than writer) to begin with; but isn't the whole point of a reboot of a film just made within the past decade is to get people with talent to right the wrongs?

Then again, this is Fox and Marvel.
Old 02-07-10, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I liked Daredevil, too.
Old 02-07-10, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Hated the original movie (especially that idiotic and shittily choreographed scene where Afflac and Garner fight each other in the playground in front of those cheering kids -- "Hey, ma, how cum that blind guy can fight so well?").

Looking forward to the reboot. They need to bring in Death-Stalker, who was the best Daredevil villain ever until Frank Miller killed him off. That would allow them to do a crossover with Ghost Rider, another character that Mark Steven Johnson totally f'ed up.
Old 02-07-10, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn
"Reboot" should be declared the word of the decade. Fuck's sake.
Like "..... Edition" was to dvd this past decade.
Old 02-07-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Daredevil was pretty meh. A couple of decent scenes surrounded by a sea of mediocrity. It was too slick and poppy when it should have been street-level and gritty. An overabundance of CGI didn't help either.

I don't think this will go over as well as Fox thinks it will. Yeah they'll retain the movie rights, but I don't see a huge outcry from the public for more Daredevil when the first movie was so apathetically received.
Old 02-07-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I liked the first but watch a reboot, as long as it's not a crapfest like Punisher: Warzone was to The Punisher.
Old 02-07-10, 09:28 AM
Banned

Disney needs to get back all those characters. What others studios are doing is a complete disservice to Marvel since they are releasing films just so they don't lose the license instead of doing the film to tell a good story. Disney should buy back the rights to X-Men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Punisher before these greedy studios kill the superhero/comic book film genre with watered down, shitty versions of these characters.
Old 02-07-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is absolutely no need for a reboot.

Just make another Daredevil story. What's the problem with that? Why does everybody feel the need to remake/reboot/re-whatever. I would like to see another Daredevil movie. We don't need the same actors or the same exact costume, or anything else. Just don't revisit the same damn plot elements (origin/Elektra/Kingpin/Bullseye). Tell another story. There are like 50 years of Daredevil stories already written. Some of them in the same continuity, some not. Who cares, other than hardcore comic fanboys(*)? Somehow the character has survived this long. Don't call it "Daredevil 2" and you're fine, unless the pathetic writers need the crutch of referring to the previous movie, or retelling the origin story.

Does anyone really believe that the first 20 James Bond movies were all set in the timeline of the same character's life? No, they were just "James Bond" movies. 'Nuff said.

(*) Yes, I am/was a serious comic collector. 35,000+ comics in my collection. I don't care.
Old 02-07-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

eh, the first one was average. i'd watch the reboot, but that's only b/c i'm a sucker for a comic book movie.
Old 02-07-10, 10:17 AM

Speaking of Reboots, have you all seen this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg6v1dgTcxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg6v1dgTcxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And if you haven't seen this guy's work before, you'll want to check out his other videos. They're hilarious!

Last edited by Star Wars Guy; 02-07-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Any time I hear something like this, I always think to myself, if the movie was made decently the first time around, there would be no need for a reboot. Personally I liked the Daredevil movie. Yeah, there was some dumb stuff in it but I thought it was fine for what it was.
Old 02-07-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Why don't they just reboot Thor, while they're at it?
Dude they're not going to reboot Thor until at least 2014.
Old 02-07-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Count me in the camp that enjoyed Daredevil, preferred the director's cut and will likely watch the gratuitous re-boot. And I agree with everything Cheato said about re-boots being unnecessary. It's as though Hollywood is so sequel-minded that they can't wrap their heads around ignoring a previous release.

Which is really confusing, because even though the fanboy demographic is the one that might concentrate on nitpicking continuities, they're also the demographic most accustomed to accepting different continuities. I suspect most of the folks who go see superhero/comic book movies haven't actively read the titles in ages and are really just there to see fight scenes between people in outrageous costumes using CGI-aided powers. They don't care about continuity nearly as much as they just want a popcorn movie.
Old 02-07-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I'm fine with a reboot.. while I enjoyed the MSJ version, I hate, hate, hate Bennifer and their acting. I'm all for a grittier Miller vision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.