Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-24-13, 01:39 PM   #51
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 47 Ronin

Is that tattooed guy even an actor? I remember seeing him on a show about tattoos because he looks like Skeletor's cousin, but I didn't know he was an actor.

This looks like it could be decent, maybe even good, but it'll likely be a bloated, CGI-reliant, cliche-heavy bomb.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 07-24-13, 01:50 PM   #52
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

It looks more like 2 Ronin & 45 Background Extras but otherwise fun.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 07-24-13, 01:50 PM   #53
Solid Snake
DVD Talk Hero

Visually impressive imagery but I can see it easily falling into the films that are all very neat sets, camerawork, and CGI imagery. Very boring plot. I like how purdy it was aside from that brute fighting Reeves in that trailer.
Old 07-24-13, 01:53 PM   #54
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh...this is Ninja Assassin all over again.
Old 07-24-13, 01:58 PM   #55
inri222
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Keanu's acting chops have gotten better.

Old 07-24-13, 02:24 PM   #56
Ash Ketchum
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, so, judging from that trailer, I'm assuming this is not a historical drama at all, but a CGI fantasy with absolutely no connection to the actual famous story of the 47 Ronin, which took place at a time when absolutely no one in Japan spoke English. (There were a handful who spoke Dutch, though.)
Old 07-24-13, 03:08 PM   #57
Dragon Tattoo
Banned

Hate to say it, but this looks awful and the CGI looks like garbage. A shame, since I usually like Keanu.
Old 07-24-13, 03:30 PM   #58
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a goddamn live-action "Ninja Scroll" flick. I'm in!
Old 07-24-13, 05:42 PM   #59
Solid Snake
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Okay, so, judging from that trailer, I'm assuming this is not a historical drama at all, but a CGI fantasy with absolutely no connection to the actual famous story of the 47 Ronin, which took place at a time when absolutely no one in Japan spoke English. (There were a handful who spoke Dutch, though.)
I'm not so sure on that. William Adams was there, he originally worked for the DEIC. Got married to a Japanese woman there, had two 2 kids with her there. Called Joseph and Susanna. Before the 47 Ronin event happened.

Adams had an interesting life. Even got a Samurai title.
Old 07-24-13, 05:48 PM   #60
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Looks fun to me. More so than Man of Tai Chi.
Old 07-24-13, 08:00 PM   #61
antspawn
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
Is that tattooed guy even an actor? I remember seeing him on a show about tattoos because he looks like Skeletor's cousin, but I didn't know he was an actor.
They probably gave him some work because he looked cool, which he does. I don't think you need that much acting skills these days to be place in a silly action movie. lol

Anyways in regards to this trailer it's too much CGI crap. I'm getting tired of so much CGI clutter shit mania on screen these days.

There is something about Keanu that is so off putting in that trailer and Man of Tai Chi. I don't like his "puzzled" characters.

This movie screams rental. I did enjoy the first half of the music in this trailer.

The devil is a muthafuckin' liar, so you know I ain't worried, beeyotch! - (Reverend X)
Old 07-25-13, 06:41 AM   #62
Ash Ketchum
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I'm not so sure on that. William Adams was there, he originally worked for the DEIC. Got married to a Japanese woman there, had two 2 kids with her there. Called Joseph and Susanna. Before the 47 Ronin event happened.

Adams had an interesting life. Even got a Samurai title.
I read the book on Samurai William. That was one or two centuries before the 47 Ronin. The first Tokugawa Shogun kicked out all westerners and all Christian missionaries in the early 1600s and crushed Japanese Christianity, executing the most defiant of them. By the time of the 47 Ronin, there wouldn't have been anyone left who spoke English. When Commodore Perry showed up 150 years after that (160 years ago this month), he had to have a Dutch speaker on hand in order to communicate with a Dutch-speaking Japanese who would then translate into Japanese for the Shogun's representative. (There was a fisherman named Manjiro who had been shipwrecked in Hawaii and taken to Massachusets and learned English and got an education and returned to Japan. He could have translated for Commodore Perry when he showed up, but the Japanese authorities kept Manjiro away, fearing he might be a spy for the Americans.)
Old 10-28-13, 12:39 PM   #63
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 10-28-13, 01:04 PM   #64
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Still looks cool to me!

PSN - whysoblu

Check out my VINYL Collection!
Old 10-28-13, 01:41 PM   #65
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Looking forward to this, especially for how cheap looking and campy most Japanese movies of this nature are. Yeah, I love crap like Ninja Wars, but hopefully this bumps up the quality a lot over those films.
Old 10-28-13, 05:29 PM   #66
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

I'm looking forward to this as well. And agree that an equivalent movie made in Japan would look cheesy as hell (and be filled with the shittiest CGI ever). And it doesn't hurt to have Rinko Kikuchi as the hotty villainess.
Old 12-09-13, 11:32 AM   #67
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

I'm happy to give this movie a shot. But I don't see much buzz surrounding it. This could go either way at the box office.
Old 12-09-13, 12:48 PM   #68
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

Considering the weak debut this thing just had in Japan, I only see it going one way: down, far. And hard. And fast.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 12-09-13, 12:58 PM   #69
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

That trailer makes it look like swords and sorcery in medieval Japan. That would go down about as well as Paul Revere and John Adams fighting warlocks would go down here. Starring a Japanese actor.
Old 12-09-13, 01:05 PM   #70
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Koji Yakusho is America's only hope..."

Updated! My 2014 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul-f...F_B_jbtzyu7jDw
Old 12-09-13, 01:08 PM   #71
Solid Snake
DVD Talk Hero

Well obviously they hate it when we make our version of their stuff ie Pacific Rim.
Old 12-09-13, 01:14 PM   #72
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
That trailer makes it look like swords and sorcery in medieval Japan. That would go down about as well as Paul Revere and John Adams fighting warlocks would go down here. Starring a Japanese actor.
Well Abe Lincoln did fight vampires.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 12-09-13, 01:51 PM   #73
hanshotfirst1138
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Well obviously they hate it when we make our version of their stuff ie Pacific Rim.
Apparently Kurosawa liked The Magnificent Seven. And if they didn't like the 1998 Godzilla, can't say as I blame them.
Old 12-09-13, 01:57 PM   #74
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Just waiting for tickets to go on sale.

PSN - whysoblu

Check out my VINYL Collection!
Old 12-09-13, 03:23 PM   #75
Ash Ketchum
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Variety headline: 47 Ronin Tanks at Japanese Boxoffice.

Here's the story:
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/47...-s-1200933773/