Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Old 04-15-11, 05:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Here are some examples of actual positive user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:

Originally Posted by Darral S
This movie should scare the looney, looser, liberals.
Originally Posted by Rob N
If you love the book and the ideas in it, this is a faithful and inspiring adaptation of Rand's masterwork. If you are a moocher or a looter, then you will not understand what they are talking about and you will hate that they were allowed to make this movie and want to pass a law against such right-wing, tea party movies. I LOVED ALL 100 minutes of it!
Originally Posted by Jeffrey W.
Watch and see how the liberal media pans this movie, regardless of it's quality. Of course, liberal Hollywood didn't want to make this movie, so it had to be done privately. The message is loud and clear, out of control Government takeovers, extreme regulations, (sound familiar America?), Ayn Rand's insightful view of the future of our country is being presented to us in film at the perfect time. Check out the movie that Hollywood didn't want you to see.
Plus a ton of spam "reviews" shilling unrelated shopping sites.
Old 04-15-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple of comments for this Jeffrey W. fellow, although I suspect they wouldn't penetrate his tinfoil hat:

1. I was not aware that Hollywood was a publicly funded entity.

2. Two of the "liberal" major movie studios are owned by General Electric and Rupert Murdoch, both of whom should embrace an Ayn Rand project. But apparently they didn't.
Old 04-15-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Right, but 86% positive from moviegoers. I typically have more faith in them.
Originally Posted by Groucho
Here are some examples of actual positive user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:

Plus a ton of spam "reviews" shilling unrelated shopping sites.
Exactly why I DON'T have more faith in the user reviews.
Old 04-15-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An understandable viewpoint, but since the film has been marketed to a narrow demographic, it's hard to gauge how much of the audience opinion is fan overpraise, designed to "counter-attack" enemies real or imagined. Who Killed The Electric Car was a bland doc that was overpraised by people who seemed to review the car rather than the film, and if Big Money Rustlas had 90% audience approval, the rating would be meaningless because it was preaching to its Juggalo choir.
Old 04-15-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stop making sense.
Old 04-15-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

The same moviegoers who pushed Transformers 2 to $400million+ domestic and made Avatar the highest-grossing movie of all time? THAT'S the horse you're backing?
Old 04-15-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Bingo.

The user comments following the negative reviews at RT are a shit storm of crazy.

Old 04-15-11, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
2. Two of the "liberal" major movie studios are owned by General Electric and Rupert Murdoch, both of whom should embrace an Ayn Rand project. But apparently they didn't.
Mainly because the embrace money more.
Old 04-15-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Who Killed The Electric Car was a bland doc that was overpraised by people who seemed to review the car rather than the film...
True, nifty car, but the doc didn't do a very good job communicating condemnation for the crooks who deserved it.
Old 04-16-11, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've always wanted to read this thing..just..cuz..well it seems interesting. Visually and topicwise..this thing should've been a period set film.
You've obviously never read the book because it takes place in a dystopian future.

Politics aside, don't read the book either. It's boring.

Or see the movie.

Better off, do something else.
Old 04-16-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By Jason Apuzzo. Atlas Shrugged, Part I is easily one of the worst narrative feature films I have ever seen in my life.

We will waste no further time with the film on this website.

Posted on April 15th, 2011 at 2:32pm.
http://www.libertasfilmmagazine.com/
Old 04-16-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Who the hell is Jason Apuzzo and why should his opinion about an apparently shitty movie matter?
Old 04-16-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Who the hell is Jason Apuzzo and why should his opinion about an apparently shitty movie matter?
From glancing at the site, it seems he's someone who likes to condemn lots of movies, from "Source Code" to "Hanna" to the Bourne films, for a supposed anti-American, anti-freedom, pro-terrorist bias. He's also apparently a Rand fan, so his judgment of the film is especially damning. Or something.
Old 04-16-11, 04:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Stop making sense.
now THAT was a good movie ...
Old 04-16-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does Paul Ryan think? He's a huge Ayn Rand supporter.
Old 04-16-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
now THAT was a good movie ...
I'm pretty sure a theatrical rerelease of Stop Making Sense would've grossed more than Atlas Shrugged this weekend.
Old 04-16-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok bear with me on this one.

I consider myself to be a fairly liberal minded person, nothing real extreme, I try to be open minded, and I respect other perspectives and attempt to be as un-biased and fair as possible.

I'm not a super-intellect by any means, and often need things literally spelled out for me to understand what I missed when I read something as I usually take it at face value and don't read always between the lines.

I read this book and really enjoyed it. However, based on most of the responses I've read in this thread, I feel like I didn't pick up on a lot of underlying themes that apparently many are writing off as a conservative piece of garbage.

I found the book-regardless of the subject matter, to be well written compared to many popular fiction novels today, it just seemed to carry more substance, more intellectual content, and a compelling story. I'm honestly not saying that because I may agree or disagree with the subject matter. I found the main characters (Dagny, Hank, John and their crew) to be very intelligent, have integrity,were logical, and objective. Do people consider this to be a liberal vs conservative type theme? There was a very obvious preference for reason/logic intellect vs faith based thinking, and I'm sure with all the pages used picking apart the latter turned a lot of people off regardless of anything else the story brought to the table.

Can someone please share with me briefly and as objectively as possible what specific elements in the book cause it to be considered the way it is so I can improve and expand my own perspective of it and continue to form an opinion.

I'm not looking to argue or try to convince anyone to change their view, simply get a better understanding so I can build my own assessment. Kind of an Atlas Shrugged for dummies if you will
Old 04-16-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I loved the book when I was 20. Now that I'm 40 I find it rather thin on the ground, and that some of the decent ideas of self-reliance and independence have been totally hijacked by the wingnuts.
Old 04-16-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You've obviously never read the book because it takes place in a dystopian future.
It seems to take place in an alternate universe more than a dystopian future. The book seems to have minimal connections to any kind of real world history or politics.

Politics aside, don't read the book either. It's boring.
It's readable, but it's far from great literature. I would liken it to the Da Vinci Code novel in that respect, though the Da Vinci Code is a much shorter read. (I've never managed to read more than a chapter or two in The Fountainhead, though. Now that book is unreadable.)

Being receptive to the message probably helps in one's enjoyment of the book, otherwise it's just beating you over the head with propaganda. I think Ayn Rand could have been a decent writer, but she was so beholden to her own bullshit that it tied her down to dealing with boring absolutes; her characters are either infallible code heroes or straw men antagonists.
Old 04-16-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fountainhead is one of my all-time favorites. I absolutely love that novel. I got the conservative themes from it, but I also got a wonderful story about uncompromising creative and artistic integrity. Even with its "Oh, BULLSHIT!!!" ending.

Atlas Shrugged is absolute SHIT in comparison. It's absolute shit, period.
Old 04-16-11, 08:04 PM

The RT user rating is high because normal human beings who don't want to lower themselves by watching this turgid filth won't even bother to see this garbage and rate it. Even if it was showing in more theaters.

Its easy to inflate a score when the only people giving a score are awful human beings.

I mean, do people seriously need to be reminded of what kind of lunatic actually enjoys this garbage "literature?" Of course they will go out of their way to go on every site of the internet and highly rate it.

To even insinuate that the positive rating is indicative of general audience tastes makes you as suspect as the psychotics who liked this movie.
Old 04-16-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
1. I was not aware that Hollywood was a publicly funded entity.
Yea. And that place is a fucking poor house. Somebody tell Hollywood that it needs to pull itself up by it's own bootstraps. Bunch of poor bastards, suckling off the teet of driven, hard-working, wealthy folks.
Old 04-17-11, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh. "Teets".
Old 04-17-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ayn Rand's novel has been brought to the big screen in a multi-part presentation. In the not too distant future, the economy is in the crapper, gas prices have skyrocketed, causing air travel to become less of a feasible way to travel or for transport, railroads have regained a footing in filling in that transportation need for people and business.

Taggert Transcontinental is run by a brother-sister team of James and Dagney Taggart after their father passed away. James is not the smart one, while Dagny not only has a engineering background, but is business-savvy in an age where it becomes harder to keep their railroad transport company afloat. I liked Taylor Schilling as Dagny in this role. Grant Bowler plays Henry Rearden, the CEO and architect of Rearden Metal (and other business holdings). Rearden Metal has been able to produce a lighter, stronger version of steel, and Dagny is willing to bet that it can be used to replace worn out railroad tracks, especially in the run to Colorado, where a crucial customer, Wyatt Petroleum, is looking to jump ship due to James' incompetent handling of the business. James is far more reliant on goverment regulation to keep his company afloat, while sister Dagny forges ahead with actual business deal-making.

Obviously the broad strokes of determination of individuals in the face of oppressive governmental controls in the guise of the public welfare is a major thrust in Rand's novel, and the script is pretty polar about the 2 sides, so not too many shades of grey happening here. This film is tailored to a specific audience with specific leanings, that's can't really be argued. But viewed as any other film where the protagonist has to overcome what appears to be insurmountable odds to achieve their goals, it works from that perspective. It's just that the depiction of the antagonists probably hit home far too easily given even today's political climate.

The film as cinema is fairly average, the production budget wasn't big, and it shows, and the direction by Paul Johansson has a nightly soap opera quality to it, here and there, but the storytelling was satisfactory. I'll check out Part 2 when it shows up later in the theaters, as I want to see what happens next for Dagny and Henry, as Part 1 ends with a dire turn of events for them both.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.
Old 04-17-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

The same moviegoers who pushed Transformers 2 to $400million+ domestic and made Avatar the highest-grossing movie of all time? THAT'S the horse you're backing?
Yes, that's the horse I'm backing over the critics for a movie from a book that is so politcally charged. I also look to moviegoers over critics for movies that are comedies or big budget action flicks. I tend to agree with moviegoers much more often than the critics. Ultimately will decide for myself when I see the movie.

And your post brings a smile to my face. If you were going for swarmy, then you succeeded. Well played my good man, well played. Your movie views are clearly much more enlightened than the masses of people who enjoyed movies like Avatar or Transformers 2.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.