TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Stephen King's The Stand (2014?)

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Do I really have to explain this to you?
Explain as you would a child.
Old 02-28-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should cast TOM CRUISE as Randall Flagg
Old 02-28-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know that there's a major twist around the halfway point of the novel. I know this not because my slow-reading ass has actually gotten there yet, no, no, no. I know this because in his book On Writing, the blasted author himself gives it away!
Old 03-01-13, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I know that there's a major twist around the halfway point of the novel. I know this not because my slow-reading ass has actually gotten there yet, no, no, no. I know this because in his book On Writing, the blasted author himself gives it away!
You should have known something like that would happen while you're reading an author's memoirs. Just sayin'.
Old 03-01-13, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I assume he's refering to the
Spoiler:
bomb
. That really isn't a twist or much of a surprise. And it's past the half way point. Or is there another twist I'm forgeting?
Old 03-01-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are twists all through "The Stand." Allllllllllllll through it. When you read it the first time, you're like "wow," "wow," "wow," "wow," after every couple of chapters. (At least that's how it was for me.)
Old 03-01-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
You should have known something like that would happen while you're reading an author's memoirs. Just sayin'.
Specifically a memoir about the author's writing process, called "On Writing"! What else is he going to discuss, except things he wrote?
Old 03-02-13, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Complaining about spoilers in a nearly 40 year old book.
Old 03-02-13, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well his oeuvre is vast, OK? I wanted to read On Writing and I'd only read so much of his other work. I thought he'd talk about this and that, I didn't know he'd discuss something so directly. And the "memoirs" portion of it actually has very little to do with his work proper, at least not for a large portion of it. If my memory serves me, that was actually the only spoiler of that kind of magnitude in the book.

There are twists all through "The Stand." Allllllllllllll through it. When you read it the first time, you're like "wow," "wow," "wow," "wow," after every couple of chapters. (At least that's how it was for me.)
King tends to pace out his novels so that something horrific happens every fifty pages or so.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Specifically a memoir about the author's writing process, called "On Writing"! What else is he going to discuss, except things he wrote?
Actually he doesn't talk a lot about his own writing. There is quite a bit about it, of course, but he predominantly talks about other writers and various aspects of storytelling-dialogue, character development, etc, predominantly using examples from other other authors. He uses some of his own too, but the book isn't as focused on him as you'd think it would be.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Complaining about spoilers in a nearly 40 year old book.
I don't care how old the book is, Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None have endured for decades based on their plot twists, just because it's old doesn't mean everyone will have gotten around to reading it.
Old 03-02-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Jesus dies and comes back as a Zombie!
Old 03-03-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spent 16 years in Catholic school, I knew that one . Although I still don't get the rabbit.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-03-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fair warning: stay away from Danse Macabre if you haven't yet watched, read, or heard every horror and science-fiction story of the past 60 years. lol.
Old 03-04-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't wait to see what Affleck does with this.
Old 03-04-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I can't wait to see what Affleck does with this.
I can't wait to see if he's still doing it.
Old 03-04-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't wait to see if he's still doing it.
Last I read was that he was, but apparently he is having trouble trying to adapt all the novels into a good screenplay.
Old 03-04-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Last I read was that he was, but apparently he is having trouble trying to adapt all the novels into a good screenplay.
Where the hell is Will Hunting when you need him? A lot of good he does not helping out!
Old 03-04-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Here's an article on adapting The Stand as per Affleck from November '12

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2143718.html

They need to just make a 13 episode, Walking Dead style one off of it.
Old 04-16-13, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After the worldwide plague (Captain Trips), the survivors are left to eat food from cans. Since food from cans contain a lot of sodium and preservatives, wouldn't the survivors be in danger of high clorestrol and high blood pressure, and die of heart attacks?

Stephen King never addressed this. Ruined the whole story for me!
Old 04-16-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I hope is that Affleck doesn't get into it without his creative batteries fully charged, i.e. as the third or fourth film of a run of work. I think he's genuinely gifted as a director but this novel is an immense piece of modern mythology and it's going to take him running on all cylinders creatively to shoot it properly. I'd rather it be delayed a year or two than it be rushed and not the film it could be.
Old 04-16-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I read the novel (short version) many years ago, a year or two before the miniseries premiered (1994). I don't remember anything that happened in either the book or the series, other than groups of survivors wandering around the American west after an apocalypse, divided up into good guys operating on a cooperative basis and a bad guy leading his mindless followers and some confrontation looming between the two groups. I remember finding the book engaging while I was reading it, but completely forgettable afterwards. I remember finding the miniseries completely miscast. That's all. I don't see how "spoilers" would actually spoil anything, since it's such an insipid, cliched plot. The value of the book was basically in experiencing what the characters go through, how they relate to each other, the mechanics of how they survive--those things don't spoil--not necessarily what "happens."
Old 04-16-13, 10:23 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

After the worldwide plague (Captain Trips), the survivors are left to eat food from cans. Since food from cans contain a lot of sodium and preservatives, wouldn't the survivors be in danger of high clorestrol and high blood pressure, and die of heart attacks?

Stephen King never addressed this. Ruined the whole story for me!
They did a lot of walking.
Old 04-16-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
One thing I hope is that Affleck doesn't get into it without his creative batteries fully charged, i.e. as the third or fourth film of a run of work. I think he's genuinely gifted as a director but this novel is an immense piece of modern mythology and it's going to take him running on all cylinders creatively to shoot it properly. I'd rather it be delayed a year or two than it be rushed and not the film it could be.
You'll probably get your wish, and then some. I don't see this project moving until 2015 at the very earliest.
Old 04-16-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
They did a lot of walking.
Old 08-23-13, 02:08 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

BREAKING: Warner Bros has set Scott Cooper to re-write and direct The Stand, the seminal post-apocalyptic Stephen King novel. That means that while the studio has Ben Affleck as its new Caped Crusader for Batman Vs. Superman, Affleck has withdrawn from The Stand. He had been set in late 2011 to write the script and direct. Affleck is busy directing and starring in his scripted adaptation of Dennis Lehane’s Live By Night for Warner Bros.

Warner Bros is teamed on the project with CBS Films, which is co-producing and co-presenting and possibly financing the project together.

Published in 1978, the mammoth novel covered a biological apocalyptic disaster that decimated the population. The survivors then had to try and piece together a new form of humanity and it became a good vs evil struggle, with elements of the supernatural thrown in for good measure. King was at his best, both in creating depictions of the demise of civilization and in the arcs of characters good and bad who became important in a new order. The novel is so sprawling that I always wondered how it could be compressed into a feature, and it was turned into a solid miniseries. Now, Cooper will try to mount what for Warner Bros continues to be a big priority project.

Roy Lee and Mosaic are producing for Warners and Jon Berg is the studio exec. Cooper is currently developing Creek with Leonardo DiCaprio, and his next film, Out Of The Furnace, is released December 6. That one was produced by Appian Way and Scott Free. Cooper, the actor-turned-filmmaker who made his breakthrough with the Jeff Bridges-starrer Crazy Heart, is represented by CAA and attorney Darren Trattner.
Old 08-23-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm actually relieved. The Stand should be a series instead of a movie. Ben Affleck is better off far away from that potential turkey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.