Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django/Zorro in the works from Quentin Tarantino and Jerrod Carmichael

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-04-19, 07:38 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Quentin Tarantino has tapped Jerrod Carmichael to co-write a Django/Zorro movie based on the crossover comic book series of the same name, multiple sources tell Collider. Written by Tarantino and released by Dynamite Entertainment and DC Comics, the series served as a sequel to the director’s 2012 movie Django Unchained starring Jamie Foxx.

The story takes place several years after the events of Django Unchained. Django is still a bounty hunter, and since there’s a warrant on his head back east, he has mainly been plying his trade in the western states. After safely settling his wife, Broomhilda, near Chicago, he takes to the road once again, sending her funds whenever he completes a job. It’s by sheer chance that he encounters the aged and sophisticated Diego de la Vega — the famed Zorro — and soon finds himself fascinated by this unusual character, who can also hold his own in a fight. It’s not long before Django becomes Diego’s ‘bodyguard’ and joins him on a mission to free the local indigenous people from slavery.

Word of the project first surfaced in the wake of the 2014 Sony hack, which revealed several email exchanges between Tarantino and then-Sony boss Amy Pascal. One email from Tarantino read, “D/Z could be really fun!” and Pascal described the series as “super cool.” Since then, Collider has heard from multiple sources that the film adaptation is real and that Carmichael is working on the script, though they differ on whether he’s writing it on his own with oversight from Tarantino, or co-writing with Quentin himself as well as another, as-yet-unidentified writer. While it’s unclear whether the Django/Zorro project is officially set up at Sony, the studio did handle the international release of Django Unchained and is releasing Tarantino’s latest film, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, though it’s entirely possible that Tarantino is developing the project on his own, and will merely give Sony first dibs given their recent history together. Sony had no comment.

It also remains unclear whether Tarantino would direct the project himself, though he has said in the past that he intends to retire following his tenth film, and as someone who has followed his career closely, I have a hard time believing he’d end it with Django/Zorro. No, I’d wager that he’ll simply wind up producing Django/Zorro should it ultimately come to fruition, though he’ll no doubt hand-pick the filmmaker himself. Of course, it’s worth noting that Tarantino rarely produces movies that he doesn’t direct, though he has served as an executive producer on Eli Roth‘s Hostel movies, as well as films directed by his pals Robert Rodriguez and Roger Avary. Tarantino is represented by WME, and a representative for the filmmaker declined to comment.

Carmichael is the standup comic who created The Carmichael Show, which earned raves for the way it handled sensitive topics, including race. He’s now an executive producer on Hulu’s original comedy series Ramy. Carmichael is also co-writing the 48 Hours remake with the Safdie Brothers, and he has been developing his own directorial debut titled On the Count of Three, in which he’s slated to star alongside Christopher Abbott. He’s represented by UTA, and a representative for the multi-hyphenate did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Quentin Tarantino Working with Jerrod Carmichael on Django/Zorro Movie | Collider
Old 06-04-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: Django/Zorro in the works from Quentin Tarantino and Jerrod Carmichael

I’d prefer Tarantino do something other than pulp westerns but I guess as long as he’s not “retiring” I’m happy.

If it turns out he’s just producing this one, my interest plummets.
Old 06-04-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

I'd think he'd rather direct a Star Trek movie than this one, to complete #10.
Old 06-04-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

DC Films have largely been a waste of time so my expectations are low. I've been burned before...
Old 06-04-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Fuck, Im in... Another Django movie and with Zorro.
Old 06-04-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Django, like Zorro...don't know if I could buy them sharing the screen with each other.
Old 06-04-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

If this does end up being his tenth and last film, it’ll be a huge waste. That being said, I really don’t think he’ll be done after 10 and I don’t see him directing this.
Old 06-04-19, 02:03 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I doubt the 10 film thing is going to stay true.
Old 06-04-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
DC Films have largely been a waste of time so my expectations are low. I've been burned before...
Old 06-04-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I doubt the 10 film thing is going to stay true.
I agree. Seeing how he was just received at Cannes, he doesn't look like somebody who is nearly done with the industry.
Old 06-04-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Like Django, like Zorro...don't know if I could buy them sharing the screen with each other.
Yeah. I agree. This feels like one of those crossovers that works in comics, but might not translate well to a live action film. Plus as much as I like the western films Tarantino has made I’d kind of rather be move along to other genres.

As far as him being done after ten films or not I could really see that going either way. Even if he decides to go past that number he doesn’t exactly make films at a quick pace.
Old 06-04-19, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This reminds me of Tarantino and Rodriguez doing Grindhouse. They thought they had a pulse on what audiences want to see....but they were a tad mistaken. This sounds like that.
Old 06-07-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Plus as much as I like the western films Tarantino has made I’d kind of rather be move along to other genres.
Agreed.
OTOH, I can't really see him getting into the Romance or Space Opera genres...

Originally Posted by E Unit
This reminds me of Tarantino and Rodriguez doing Grindhouse. They thought they had a pulse on what audiences want to see....but they were a tad mistaken. This sounds like that.
Grindhouse is fairly entertaining as far as I'm concerned, but it just didn't go over with the public as hoped.
Old 06-07-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Agreed.
OTOH, I can't really see him getting into the Romance or Space Opera genres...
I’m always down for Tarantino no matter the genre but I’d love to see him make a hardboiled film noir whodunit.
Old 06-07-19, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
DC only released the comic along with Dynamite, who licensed Zorro. According to the news, Sony may have first dibs at the project, not WB, most likely because of the Zorro franchise.
Old 06-08-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I’m always down for Tarantino no matter the genre but I’d love to see him make a hardboiled film noir whodunit.
Absolutely!