Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG movies vs Star Wars prequels

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The BETTER movies:
Star Trek TNG movies
68.50%
Star Wars prequels
21.26%
Neither
10.24%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I know both get a lot of hate here. But which were better as in less worse? Maybe you guys can help me decide.

I finished watching the last TNG movie yesterday (Nemesis, First Contact, Generations, Insurrection in that order). I think the TNG movies have some charm albeit cheese to them and I can sit through them all without skipping any scenes. Insurrection though, I'd skip.

I'd have to skip or mute some scenes from the prequels.
Old 12-07-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Star Trek TNG movies vs Star Wars prequels

Star Trek, no contest. First Contact is great, and Nemesis isn't terrible. Generations and Insurrection are both pretty bad, but the only thing the Star Wars prequels have are some cool moments. Otherwise, they are all are awful.
Old 12-07-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Why does Generations always get so much shit? I'm not a big Star Trek fan but it is my favorite of TNG movies though that may be due to the Kirk/time travel storyline and the cameos of some of the original crew.

I'll take TNG movies over the Star War prequels but that is mainly due to my love of the OT and my just liking the original ST movies. The OT means more to me which makes the prequels that much worse. Make sense?
Old 12-07-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Why does Generations always get so much shit? I'm not a big Star Trek fan but it is my favorite of TNG movies though that may be due to the Kirk/time travel storyline and the cameos of some of the original crew.
The story makes no sense (Malcolm McDowell is blowing up stars because it's impossible to fly a ship into the negative space wedgie -- yet he, Guinan and Kirk all entered the negative space wedgie on a ship at the start of the movie).

The science makes no sense (Malcolm McDowell fires his missile at the star and we see it explode immediately, even though a habitable planet would be several lightminutes from the star).

Kirk's death is completely insulting to fans (there's a reason why TV Tropes refers to lame hero deaths as "Dropping a bridge on him).
Old 12-07-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I'm one of the very rare few who actually like "Insurrection".
Old 12-07-10, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TNG...though admittingly...the only thing I care about is my man crush on Patrick Stewart. That voice..that manliness...I want him in an action move NOW! (jk...kind of)
Old 12-07-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurrection is a huge piece of shit. They turned Worf from a proud warrior to a sniveling schoolgirl going through "Klingon puberty."
Old 12-07-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I think the only generally decent TNG movie is Generations. "First Contact" starts great with the opening battle, and totally turns to SHIT afterward. The scenes in the past are embarassingly bad (and dreadfully boring), whereas the "present" Borg scenes are lackluster. "Insurrection" was terrible throughout, "Nemesis" was mostly less terrible but still bad.

None of them are as shitstain bad as the SW prequels though...
Old 12-07-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

I'll take TNG movies over the Star War prequels but that is mainly due to my love of the OT and my just liking the original ST movies. The OT means more to me which makes the prequels that much worse. Make sense?
I never understood that either. I loved Generations. Picard meeting Kirk and the whole Nexus thing was pretty cool. Nemesis was awful.
Old 12-07-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Insurrection is a huge piece of shit. They turned Worf from a proud warrior to a sniveling schoolgirl going through "Klingon puberty."
"It is a gorch!" Shudder...
Old 12-07-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the SW prequels had higher highs and (much) lower lows than the Star Trek movies.
Old 12-07-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Love First Contact, so that blows away any of the SW prequels.
Old 12-07-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I like all of The Next Generation movies personally. Generations and First Contact especially are my favorites of that crew's set of movies. Insurrection isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it felt more like a two part episode of the series rather than a movie. Nemesis I seem to remember being not great but not exactly horrible either, but I haven't watched it in quite a while.

The only one of the Star Wars prequels I kind of liked was Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are total crap though.
Old 12-07-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I like all of The Next Generation movies personally. Generations and First Contact especially are my favorites of that crew's set of movies. Insurrection isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it felt more like a two part episode of the series rather than a movie. Nemesis I seem to remember being not great but not exactly horrible either, but I haven't watched it in quite a while.

The only one of the Star Wars prequels I kind of liked was Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are total crap though.
Maybe so but the thing I hated about RotS was the way Darth was created. It was like "Turn to the dark side" , "OK, where do I sign up?".
Old 12-07-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
TNG...though admittingly...the only thing I care about is my man crush on Patrick Stewart. That voice..that manliness...I want him in an action move NOW! (jk...kind of)
I would love to see Stewart in a Connery-type role. I would have loved to have seen Stewart in THE EXPENDABLES. If Stallone could have gotten him, he would have thrown out his script and started fresh with an actual, y'know, good writer because even Stallone wouldn't want to offend Stewart by asking him to spew out the nonsense that THE EXPENDABLES' dialogue amounted to. ("Look, can't we just rewrite the 'St. Crispin's Day' speech for him?'")
Old 12-07-10, 03:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

never watched any of the series, but i like the Star Trek movies (most).

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll take dinner with Hitler.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The story makes no sense (Malcolm McDowell is blowing up stars because it's impossible to fly a ship into the negative space wedgie -- yet he, Guinan and Kirk all entered the negative space wedgie on a ship at the start of the movie).

The science makes no sense (Malcolm McDowell fires his missile at the star and we see it explode immediately, even though a habitable planet would be several lightminutes from the star).

Kirk's death is completely insulting to fans (there's a reason why TV Tropes refers to lame hero deaths as "Dropping a bridge on him).
You have James-T-motherfucking-Kirk showing up in a Next Generation movie, and what does he do? Gets sucked into a space macguffin, putters around a kitchen, and falls off of a bridge and dies.

Add in Data as a giggling nut (was Spiner trying to land a Joker role?) and Picard as a weepy bitch, and you have a really shitty Star Trek movie.

And speaking of bad science, when Picard and Kirk went back to the planet, why weren't there two Picards? Furthermore, why even go back to the planet? Why not go back to the Enterprise and bust Alex the Droog in ten forward?
Old 12-07-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And speaking of bad science, when Picard and Kirk went back to the planet, why weren't there two Picards? Furthermore, why even go back to the planet? Why not go back to the Enterprise and bust Alex the Droog in ten forward?
Old 12-07-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

It appears I need to re-watch Generations and actually pay more attention this time.
Old 12-07-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is only one truly cringe-worthy moment in all of the Next Gen films ("In the event of a water landing, I have been designed to serve as a flotation device.") Ugh. However, there are at least ten of those moments in the first thirty minutes of ANY Star Wars prequel. Those films are absolute failures on all levels.

I watch the Star Trek films probably 5 or 6 times a year each. I only watch the Star Wars prequels with Rifftrax now. Trek by a mile.
Old 12-07-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I love Trek and even though the original crew was my favorite, I enjoyed TNG. That said, at least the Star Wars prequels still capture the Star Wars spirit. The TNG films were all incredibly dour and uninspired, forgetting what made TNG enjoyable. The best of the TNG films, First Contact barely resembles anything related to Star Trek and the worst, Insurrection is easily one of the worst sci-fi films of the 90s.
Old 12-07-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Do you watch American Dad? He's awesome in it.
Old 12-07-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I love Trek and even though the original crew was my favorite, I enjoyed TNG. That said, at least the Star Wars prequels still capture the Star Wars spirit. The TNG films were all incredibly dour and uninspired, forgetting what made TNG enjoyable. The best of the TNG films, First Contact barely resembles anything related to Star Trek and the worst, Insurrection is easily one of the worst sci-fi films of the 90s.
Checks poll...yep, you're incredibly wrong.
Old 12-07-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Those films are absolute failures on all levels.
Sorry, but I'll still take the "Duel of the Fates" 'saber fight over Prowse/Guiness's bumper-car choreography anyday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.