Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawless (2012, dir. Hillcoat) S: LaBeouf, Hardy, Oldman, Chastain, Pearce, Clarke

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lawless (2012, dir. Hillcoat) S: LaBeouf, Hardy, Oldman, Chastain, Pearce, Clarke

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
re: Lawless (2012, dir. Hillcoat) S: LaBeouf, Hardy, Oldman, Chastain, Pearce, Clarke

Originally Posted by redrum
Hardy sounds awesome with a southern accent

idk, I can't understand a word he's saying in the trailer. Maybe they'll fix it before it comes out.
Old 08-28-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Lawless (2012, dir. Hillcoat) S: LaBeouf, Hardy, Oldman, Chastain, Pearce, Clarke

Originally Posted by JTH182
idk, I can't understand a word he's saying in the trailer. Maybe they'll fix it before it comes out.
"When Franklin County is in ashes, you have my permission to drink."
Old 08-29-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I had no idea what this movie was until I read the reviews of LAWLESS in today's newspapers and read that it was based on a book called "The Wettest County in the World." Can't someone change the thread title?

Oh, and both the New York Post and the New York Times gave it negative reviews.
Old 08-29-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
mods wanna update the title and maybe change the year to 2012?
Apparently not.
Old 08-29-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

DVDTalk's Jason Bailey and Ian Rich both gave it a "Highly Recommended".

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57848/lawless/

Currently at 63% on RT, w/ 50% from the Top Critics, and 82% from the audience.
Old 08-30-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawless is a good film. However, like Hillcoat's other films, there's not much of a re-watchability factor to it. To be honest, it's just not that memorable once you're done with it.

Hillcoat and Cave do a fantastic job (again) creating a sense of dread that lasts for the entire picture, especially with how slow and brooding the film is. However, they're unable to capture the art of what a slow burn should be... and the film just moves, at times, awfully slow.

Hardy, Clarke, and dare I say it, LaBeouf are all solid as the Bondurant brothers. Pearce and Oldman are their usual selves, but don't get as much screen time as they deserve. Jessica Chastain's tits are fantastic.

I enjoyed watching it, but I wouldn't care if I never saw it again.
Old 08-30-12, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew chmiel
lawless pearce and oldman are their usual selves, but don't get as much screen time as they deserve.
booooooooooo
Old 08-30-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Jessica Chastain's tits are fantastic.
Nice review.
Old 08-30-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I actually think Hillcoat's movie have replay value, but I couldn't watch them every 6 months or year. I revisited the Proposition on Blu-ray when that came out several years after the DVD release and it still held that sense of dread for me. Same with The Road - watched the Blu-ray about a year after I saw it theatrically and it still had an impact.

Want to get out to see this one soon. I mean c'mon, tits!
Old 08-30-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

You lost me at Shia Lebeouf.
Old 08-30-12, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Lawless is a good film. However, like Hillcoat's other films, there's not much of a re-watchability factor to it. To be honest, it's just not that memorable once you're done with it.

Hillcoat and Cave do a fantastic job (again) creating a sense of dread that lasts for the entire picture, especially with how slow and brooding the film is. However, they're unable to capture the art of what a slow burn should be... and the film just moves, at times, awfully slow.

Hardy, Clarke, and dare I say it, LaBeouf are all solid as the Bondurant brothers. Pearce and Oldman are their usual selves, but don't get as much screen time as they deserve. Jessica Chastain's tits are fantastic.

I enjoyed watching it, but I wouldn't care if I never saw it again.
hmmmm...I see. In what qualitative value are they as such? How long were they acting? Details.
Old 08-30-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Love Chastain. (*)(*)
Old 08-30-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to hump her.

Old 08-30-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie was meh. That's all I can say about it.

Hardy was completely wasted in my opinion. He just lumbered around like an oaf and mumbled as if he had a speech impediment. He should definitely stick to his normal accent. Attempting to do a Virginia accent was not a good choice. Imagine Bane asking for some cornbread. That's pretty much what he sounded like.
Old 08-31-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I liked it. It was enjoyable the entire time. Good action. Guy Pearce did an awesome job as the villain. I was disappointed at how small a role Oldman had.

Count me among those who enjoyed Jessica's tits.

Again, a solid, entertaining movie...but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime. One viewing is satisfactory.

Grade: B
Old 09-02-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. Cinematography and music was great, story was interesting, acting was good, but characters were not that well written. I felt like I was watching an early cut of the movie as opposed to the final version. It was a good movie that could have been great with a bit of tweaking. Also, loved Jessica's twins!
Old 09-08-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

What was the song that played while Ms. Chastain displayed her goods?
Old 09-08-12, 12:36 PM
Banned

It was called "Jessica Chastain, show us your tits"
Old 09-09-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Cinematography and music was great, story was interesting, acting was good, but characters were not that well written. I felt like I was watching an early cut of the movie as opposed to the final version. It was a good movie that could have been great with a bit of tweaking. Also, loved Jessica's twins!
Agreed. I thought it was good but I honestly think it could use a longer runtime
Old 09-10-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Don't expect this to be The Proposition or The Road. Lawless doesn't have that internal, emotive feeling throughout. Everything is relatively straighforward.

The script is treated like a good 'ole folksy American tale. Based on a book that I haven't read. And scripted by Nick Cave - who knows his stark, violent, direct narratives.

This felt like a Miramax film, more than a John Hilcoat/Nick Cave movie.
Old 09-10-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Tom Hardy has an alpha screen presence that carries this film. He's playing a backwoods hick; the grunting and sometimes inaudible lines were apropos.

Has been mentioned, but Hillcoat is just a master of dread. All his films, from the start, you are in constant fear for his characters.
Old 03-19-13, 05:51 AM
Banned

Never gave my thoughts on this when it was in theaters. I liked it. It was overall very well done. Really liked the look of the film and the actors involved.

Chastain has nice tits and I liked Hardy's unease w/ her.

My only little issue with it is that LaBeouf couldn't sell the emotion of being sorry well to me. I liked him in everything else he did in this film but his regret and sorry moments just weren't strong enough.
Old 06-23-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this. As someone who is a huge fan of everyone involved, save for Shia LaBeouf, what a crushing disappointment. A technically sound film that quickly becomes meandering, and goes nowhere emotionally. I've seen "The Proposition" several times and find it captivating with each viewing, and even feel "The Road" holds up on repeat viewings, but this just has zero replay potential with me.
Old 06-23-13, 04:22 PM
Banned

Pretty much. Yeah. No real replay value.
Old 06-24-13, 01:34 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Enjoyed this one, and Chastain has great tits and I would like to bang her.