Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wanna see puke inducing photos of Tim Burton's aborted 1990's Superman poject?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wanna see puke inducing photos of Tim Burton's aborted 1990's Superman poject?

Old 11-01-10, 01:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: Wanna see puke inducing photos of Tim Burton's aborted 1990's Superman poject?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Ty Templeton posted this in his blog, and I found it amusing. Spoiler'd for size:

Spoiler:
Is that the Ty Templeton that did Stig's Inferno back in the 80s? I loved that series!
Old 11-01-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Wanna see puke inducing photos of Tim Burton's aborted 1990's Superman poject?

Originally Posted by Trevor
Is that the Ty Templeton that did Stig's Inferno back in the 80s? I loved that series!
The one and the same! You should definitely check out his blog; the dude is hilarious.
Old 11-01-10, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Ty Templeton posted this in his blog, and I found it amusing. Spoiler'd for size:

Spoiler:

I'm more of a Batman guy too.
Old 11-01-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supposedly to match this when finished...
http://picsdigger.com/image/28ba0422
Old 11-01-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea
supposedly to match this when finished...
http://picsdigger.com/image/28ba0422
No. I believe that concept art was from when Rattner was going to direct. That's the one that had the S symbol that would turn into a bladed weapon.
Old 11-02-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

In regards to Tim Burton version

Jor-El: "My son...you have great pow..e...wait a minute where the fuck you get that suit?"
Old 11-02-10, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this would have been the Superman movie where we find out Sups is really a lonely outsider feared and shunned by "normal" people?
Old 11-02-10, 11:39 AM

Superman? More like Stupidman! Why don't you go back to your own planet, Stupidman? Oh, that's right, because it blew up. Ha Ha. Stupid, Stupidman.
Ahhhhh, he's burning my flesh with his laser beam eyeballs!

That's the Superman movie I want to see.
Old 11-02-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Did you see parts III and IV !? "Returns" was the freaking "Godfather II" compared to those.
The evil Superman scenes in part 3 is better than any scene in "Returns". If Singer would've left out that STUPID son element..I would have enjoyed it a bit more.
Old 11-02-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The guy who updates Steve Johnson FX's Facebook page confirmed the pics were for the alien that was posing as Superman, with the intended effect to be lightning coursing through it. Makes a little more sense, but does prove Burton had no idea what he was doing story wise.
Old 11-02-10, 02:39 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
The evil Superman scenes in part 3 is better than any scene in "Returns". If Singer would've left out that STUPID son element..I would have enjoyed it a bit more.
Yep the evil Superman stuff alone actually makes it my favorite Supes movie, even though the main villain is so awful ("hey what can we do more unimaginitive than a re-tread of Lex again? How about someone like Lex but not Lex! high five") and Richard Pryor is shoehorned in there, although he's still funny in whatever he does even though it doesn't belong in there. They should've made the main badguy Brainiac.

Old 11-02-10, 02:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

is it too much to ask for Bizarro Superman?
Old 11-02-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
is it too much to ask for Bizarro Superman?
Yes. Yes it is.
Old 11-02-10, 03:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Evil Supes was great (I've tried to replicate the scene by flicking peanuts at bottles of liquor -- no such luck in breaking them).

As for that Burton costume:
Old 11-02-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
Old 11-02-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Yep the evil Superman stuff alone actually makes it my favorite Supes movie, even though the main villain is so awful ("hey what can we do more unimaginitive than a re-tread of Lex again? How about someone like Lex but not Lex! high five") and Richard Pryor is shoehorned in there, although he's still funny in whatever he does even though it doesn't belong in there. They should've made the main badguy Brainiac.

FWIW, I have to recall reading (in one of many Superman based mags that came out at the time of his "death") that the Super Computer was going to be revealed as having been an incarnation of Brainiac if III had been more successful (aka not so reviled). Apparently the bit where it was supposed to shut down but didn't and started sucking the earth's energy was when the Brainiac system took over.
Old 11-02-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FRwL

As Dr. DVD, it was meant to be Brainiac. However, the way I recall it was that in the script the computer was originally Brainiac and he fought Superman but that idea was shelved for budget reasons. SO we got a low-rent Brainiac of sorts instead.

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The guy who updates Steve Johnson FX's Facebook page confirmed the pics were for the alien that was posing as Superman, with the intended effect to be lightning coursing through it. Makes a little more sense, but does prove Burton had no idea what he was doing story wise.
Well that's certainly a new bit of information. There was no mention of said creature in the Kevin Smith script. So was thatr to be Tim Burton's idea of Bizarro?

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Evil Supes was great (I've tried to replicate the scene by flicking peanuts at bottles of liquor -- no such luck in breaking them).
Such a great scene and I love this shot of him as well:

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-02-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Well that's certainly a new bit of information. There was no mention of said creature in the Kevin Smith script. So was thatr to be Tim Burton's idea of Bizarro?
No idea, they just said the alien taking Superman's place after he died is from the comics. The guy posting said they were going to try and get Steve to answer some questions about the project, but nothing is confirmed.

People interested in SFX should definitely check out Steve's site and Facebook. He's done some documentaries on his work on Ghostbusters (He created Slimer) and The Abyss (He created the NTIs) and has been releasing some behind the scenes photos for a lot of stuff, including projects that never panned out. They are gonna show his attempt at making a live action Hulk puppet next.
Old 11-02-10, 11:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The guy who Burton hired to script-doctor Smith's draft was keeping the Brainiac angle, making him meld with Luthor and they were keeping the Eradicator so that costume is presumably it.
Old 11-03-10, 12:58 AM
En vacance

So Brainiac was intended i see.

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Such a great scene and I love this shot of him as well:

That moment he doesn't even look like Chris Reeve, amazing.
Old 11-03-10, 01:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 11-03-10, 02:39 AM

Superman could at least afford Johnny Walker Black Label.
Old 11-03-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ HAHAHHA I was getting ready to post- I always thought he would be a Jonny Walker Black kind of guy.

Seriously? Was this the only bottle they had laying around? Maybe they really wanted to show how low he got. I mean, drinking JW Red is just sad.
Old 12-15-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Video of the Tim Burton suit in action!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvhMejIcD9o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvhMejIcD9o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-15-10, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you beat me to it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.