Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars SEQUELS Rumored!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So maybe this should be a separate thread. I don't know. I laughed when I read this bit this morning. But then I thought about it a little more and recalled that Lucasfilm recently demanded a popular Star Wars comic book published by Dark Horse and set 100 years or so in the future of the time line cease publication.

I still won't watch the 3D conversions.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...news&Itemid=71

IESB Exclusive: The Line Starts Here...Again! New Star Wars Movies Planned

Don't start packing up your lawn chairs and igloo coolers just yet, but there will once again be "camping out" for a Star Wars movie. IESB has learned some news about the future of the Star Wars franchise.
First, let me remind our readers of IESB's past scoops so anyone doubting the news will be aware. From Joss Whedon directing the Avengers, to the recent announcement of Disney's planned renegotiation of the Paramount Marvel deal, to the countless casting scoops, directing scoops, to our solid sources at Lucasfilm.

Confirmed IESB scoops specific to the Star Wars universe include the first announcement of the PG-13 rating of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, the first word of a live action Star Wars TV series as well as the Clone Wars animated series. Yes, all of these Lucasfilm scoops were all first reported here on IESB.

Now on to our newest big Lucasfilm scoop, ready? George Lucas is plotting to create new Star Wars movies at the ultra top-secret Skywalker Ranch.

This is déjà vu of the mid 90's when Uncle George starting tweaking the Holy Trilogy to gear up for the Special Editions. That was his first step in moving forward with the eventual prequel trilogy.

It's happening all over again, Lucasfilm is already hard at work converting the entire Star Wars saga into 3D which will be released starting with Episode I: The Phantom Menace in 2012. The word from our ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider is that Lucas has gotten the itch and is already looking ahead into launching an entirely new trilogy in that galaxy far, far away.

What do we know? First of all, these new film will have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development. That show already has over 50 scripts ready to go and plenty of pre-production time and money has been spent on artwork and storyboards. Once that show goes into production, Lucasfilm hopes to be able to produce at least 100 episodes since that is the threshold for syndication in the United States.

IESB has been told fans can expect the new trilogy after the entire saga is released in 3D which is expected to be complete around 2015 or 2016.

Uncle George's modus operandi has not changed, the plan is that he will self finance the new trilogy after he rakes in an expected $500 - $750 million dollars with the re-release of the entire Star Wars Saga in 3D and on Blu-Ray.

The ideal plan, according to our spy at Skywalker Ranch, is to be able to release a new Star Wars film within 24 months after the release of the last re-re-release (is that right?) of Return of the Jedi 3D.

Too early for story details but one thing that our source is certain about, they will not be prequels but instead sequels. It's not for certain if they will be the long awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories "fit in" with what the previous stories have told.

According to our sources, the most likely scenario for the films is that they will exist in the same universe but will not have anything to do with the Skywalker Clan. That story has been told, that starship has sailed.

What has caused this sudden change of heart for Uncle George? Well, besides the obvious possible billions that a new Star Wars trilogy will take in, our source tells us that George has gotten motivated with the success the Clone Wars animated series, the video games and also with the success of Avatar.

Can we expect Lucasfilm to confirm our story? Have they ever? Nope, I am sure that they will spin this or completly deny the story, but we will stand 100% behind our source.
Old 10-23-10, 07:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...in 3-D for 2012

Wow, what a difference 10 years makes being a SW fan. If I heard this news, back in the 90's about new movies (possible episode 7,8,9?) I would be going crazy right now.

I wont be be fooled again by Lucas for more SW movies. All through the PT, I kept saying, "OK, Episode I was pretty bad, but Episode II will be better. OK, Episode II was not much better, but Episode III will be the shit. OK, Episode III is even close to Star Wars or Empire!" Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me three times.....
Old 10-23-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I'd give them a shot. If they are set far out enough, Lucas probably wouldn't be tempted to tie them so closely to the events/characters of the previous movies. That was one (of several) of the biggest problems with the prequels. Too many of these characters were tied together and it made the universe feel very small.
Old 10-23-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If he would allow people like Kasdan to come back and would give younger directors the opportunity to film them, I'd be up for more films that are in the "distant future."
Old 10-23-10, 02:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

whoa boy... if the majority of us thought that the legacy of the OT was tarnished by PREQUELs, imagine the "George Lucas raped my childhood" cries after he botches SEQUELs that, even if they take place 1000 years after the events of the OT, will still give us answers as to the fates of the beloved characters we all loved from ANH, TESB, and ROTJ. gulp.
Old 10-23-10, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll give the first one a try, but not on opening day. If it's shit, I'm taking my Episodes III-VI and going home.

And yes, I think this deserves its own thread.
Old 10-23-10, 02:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Star Wars SEQUELS Rumored!

I'd rather see another ST:TNG movie. There, I said it.
Old 10-23-10, 02:44 PM
Banned by request

Abrams has already given you a Next Generation prequel. What more do you want?!
Old 10-23-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't Lucas just let the franchise rest in peace?
Old 10-23-10, 02:46 PM

Exclamation mark on thread title courtesy of Supermallet!

But thanks! I didn't know if we should start a separate thread for something that sort of seems like a crazy rumor. Heck I am wondering if someone at Lucasfilm just threw the idea out there to get people excited about the 3D conversions. It's no secret that fans weren't exactly thrilled with THAT press release.

"If you don't watch the 3D conversions, we won't have enough money for the new trilogy!"
Old 10-23-10, 02:50 PM
En vacance

Didn't he combined 7, 8, 9 into ROTJ? What the heck is he going to do now?
Old 10-23-10, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Given that 7, 8, and 9 would have been about Luke, Han, and Leia, and these sequels are rumored to take place 1,000 years in the future...anything he wants, I suppose.
Old 10-23-10, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I'm not sure what to think.
Old 10-23-10, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I'll see any new films, but won't be waiting in any lines, and obviously won't be seeing the prequels in 3D, well, maybe if it was free.
Old 10-23-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

No....let it lie.
Old 10-23-10, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
No....let it die.
Fixed.
Old 10-23-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take away Rick McCallum, have Kasdan write the screenplay and have anybody else BUT George direct, and maybe I'll consider watching.
Old 10-23-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

If Lucas allowed someone else to write the story and script I'd be really excited. Imagine the "Knights of the Old Republic" games being brought to the big screen. The story lines in those games were far better than any of the current films.
Old 10-23-10, 03:38 PM
En vacance

Lucas reminds me of Michael Corleone now.
Old 10-23-10, 03:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually, I wouldn't mind if Lucas did Episode 7,8,9. That way he couldn't call the Star Wars movies 'The Tragedy of Darth Vader' and that he always intended it that way since 1977 bullshit. I say the more SW Lucas does, the more people realize how great the Original Trilogy is, or atleast SW and Empire are, so it distances them that much more from the crap he does today.

Wouldn't it be funny if Lucas went back and changed around the Prequels to jive with the 9 part SW story, so you would have another pissed off SW fanbase that wanted the 'original versions' of the Prequels. Which would bring the SW Fanbases to:

1. Star Wars 77 fans- Hate every sequel/prequel, just enjoyed it as a standalone story.

2. Star Wars/ESB fans - Hated Jedi and the Prequels, realized the SW movies jumped the shark with Luke/Leia being siblings, and the Ewoks too.

3. OOT fans - Fans who only recognize the Original Trilogy in its pre-SE days.

4. PT/OT-SE fans - Fans who like the 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' story of 1-6.

5. Saga Fans - Fans who love Episodes I-IX, and Lucas could have C-3PO take a dump and they will defend him on it.

It just goes on and on.............
Old 10-23-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

He should bribe Ford with $500 million(for all three) and make them about Luke, Leia and Han.
Old 10-23-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucasfilm has denied the rumors.
Old 10-23-10, 04:37 PM

I wish Jar Jar Binks would get his own film.
Old 10-23-10, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I wish Jar Jar Binks would get his own film.
Just watch Mr Accident from Yahoo Serious and you'll be in the same ballpark.
Old 10-23-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

So... 2019 than?

Surely Lucas knows the clock is ticking... I don't see why he'd want to wait till after the 3D conversions. Best case scenario is he gets in gear, films a trilogy at the same time at ILM (maybe 2013), releases em 2015, 16, 17. I'd love to see a new series similar to the new Star Trek - Hamill could be the Spock cameo/link to the earlier movies.

Did that site not get the memo that the SW tv series is on hold/canceled? I bet Lucas realized they weren't financially feasible, esp the workload they would involve. A new trilogy, even if not nearly as popular, could still bring in a couple billion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.